Question in relation to the high pressure cleaning in titanium tubes

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the forum user is experiencing scaling on titanium tubes and is trying to clean it off using high pressure cleaning. They are unsure of the maximum pressure the tubes can handle and are also curious about obtaining a certain surface roughness after cleaning. The expert suggests using a mild acidic solution for the scaling and consulting the manufacturer's specifications for the maximum pressure. They also mention the possibility of adjusting pressure and nozzle types to achieve a desired surface roughness and suggest checking for industry standards or guidelines.
enkiduz190
Hi guys, i got a problem with the high pressure cleaning with the titanium tubes.
What happened was that the titanium tubes (SB 338 Gr 12; OD=50,8mm; thickness=0.71mm) experiences scalings with Calcium Sulphate, and now we are trying to clean it off using HP cleaning, the specified max. cleaning pressure was 750-800 bars, but it proves to be insufficient and now we wanted to try increasing the pressure, but we are not sure on how much the tubes can handle (the designs were done way back).

The HP cleaning uses a 90 degrees stationary (non rotating) nozzle, and also a universal nozzle (nozzle contain 45 degrees back thrust, horizontal thrust, and a 60 degrees forward thrust).

So if anyone can tell me what kind of pressure is acceptable or point me in the right direction / standards, this will be highly appreciated! And is there anyway to obtain a certain surface roughness after HP cleaning?

Thank you all!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. I understand the importance of properly cleaning and maintaining equipment in order to ensure its optimal performance. I would like to offer some suggestions and information that may help you in your situation.

Firstly, let's address the issue of the calcium sulphate scaling on the titanium tubes. This type of scaling is commonly known as "hard water" scaling and is caused by the presence of calcium and magnesium ions in the water. These ions can precipitate and form a hard, crusty layer on the surface of the tubes. In order to effectively remove this scaling, it is important to use a cleaning solution that can dissolve or break down the calcium sulphate. I would recommend using a mild acidic solution, such as citric acid or acetic acid, as they are both effective in removing calcium sulphate scaling without damaging the titanium tubes. It is important to thoroughly rinse the tubes after cleaning to ensure all traces of the cleaning solution are removed.

Now, let's address the issue of high pressure cleaning. The maximum cleaning pressure of 750-800 bars that you mentioned is already quite high and should be sufficient in removing the calcium sulphate scaling. However, if you feel that increasing the pressure is necessary, I would recommend consulting the manufacturer's specifications for the titanium tubes. They should have information on the maximum pressure that the tubes can handle. It is important to not exceed this maximum pressure, as it can cause damage to the tubes and compromise their integrity.

In terms of obtaining a certain surface roughness after HP cleaning, it is possible to achieve a specific roughness by adjusting the pressure and the type of nozzle used. However, it is important to note that the surface roughness may also be affected by the initial condition of the tubes and the type of cleaning solution used. I would recommend conducting some experiments with different pressure settings and nozzle types to determine the best combination for achieving your desired surface roughness.

In addition, there may be industry standards or guidelines for cleaning titanium tubes that you can reference. I would suggest checking with relevant organizations or research publications for this information.

I hope this information helps you in your cleaning process. Best of luck in finding a solution to your problem.

1. What is high pressure cleaning and why is it important for titanium tubes?

High pressure cleaning is a method of cleaning that utilizes water or other cleaning solutions at high pressures to remove dirt, grime, and other contaminants from surfaces. This is important for titanium tubes because they are often used in industrial settings and can easily accumulate debris and buildup, which can affect their performance and durability.

2. How does high pressure cleaning work on titanium tubes?

High pressure cleaning uses a specialized machine that pumps water or cleaning solution at pressures ranging from 1000 to 3000 psi. The high pressure helps to dislodge and remove stubborn dirt and buildup from the surface of titanium tubes, leaving them clean and restored.

3. Is high pressure cleaning safe for titanium tubes?

Yes, high pressure cleaning is a safe and effective method for cleaning titanium tubes. However, it is important to use the appropriate pressure and techniques to avoid damaging the tubes. It is recommended to hire a professional with experience in high pressure cleaning for titanium tubes.

4. How often should high pressure cleaning be done on titanium tubes?

The frequency of high pressure cleaning for titanium tubes depends on the specific environment and usage of the tubes. In industrial settings, it may be necessary to clean them every few months, while in other settings, annual cleaning may be sufficient. It is best to consult with a professional for a personalized cleaning schedule.

5. Can high pressure cleaning improve the lifespan of titanium tubes?

Yes, high pressure cleaning can help to extend the lifespan of titanium tubes by removing buildup and debris that can cause corrosion and affect the performance of the tubes. Regular cleaning can also help to prevent future issues and maintain the integrity of the tubes.