Question in thermodynamics -- Two paths on a P-V diagram....

In summary: Even though a is the right answer, I mark you wrong on this problem because you were unable to provide an acceptable explanation.In that attachment, isothermal follows one of the curves. In the present problem, each process follows a straight line, one vertical, one horizontal. Neither is isothermal.
Zouatine
Member warned that some effort must be shown
Homework Statement
thermodynamic
Relevant Equations
I think the answer is b , is that true ?
Hi every one , I have this question today :

The two arrows in the figure show two thermodynamic processes of a certain amount of ideal gas. The dashed line is a hyperbola. Which of the following statements is not true?

a. The heat transfer is the same in the two processes.
b. The temperature change is the same in the two processes.
c. The change in internal energy is the same in the two processes.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to post homework questions with your attempt at a solution so that you can be helped past the obstacles you have run across. This is not a forum where you can simply ask others to do your homework for you. Firstly it helps you not at all in discovering how to actually solve problems. Secondly it is against this forums policies.

• Skeptical
Likes affeshatem
What is the basis for your choice of the answer as b?

i think a is correct

aliserwan said:
i think a is correct
Correct!

a isn't correct

Bilbo B said:
a isn't correct
Why?
Note: when you figure out the correct answer and reason, please do not post it in this thread just yet. Give time for @Zouatine to respond.

Bilbo B said:
a isn't correct
Wrong!

I found that Isothermal state :
delta T = 0
Delta U=0
then the correct answer is a
In Adiabatic state: transfer heat zero
True or False ??

aliserwan said:
delta T = 0
Delta U=0
True or False ??
No, there is a transfer of heat in both processes. What makes you think ΔT is zero? ΔP is zero in one, ΔV is zero in the other.
The question asks whether the same quantity is transferred,

One of the conditions of the case Isothermal : delta t =0

haruspex said:
No, there is a transfer of heat in both processes. What makes you think ΔT is zero? ΔP is zero in one, ΔV is zero in the other.
The question asks whether the same quantity is transferred,

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 183
aliserwan said:
delta T = 0
Delta U=0
Delta T and delta U are the same in both processes. But, they are not zero.
True or False ??
This is the definition of an adiabatic process, so True. But what has this got to do with the present problem?

Chestermiller said:
Delta T and delta U are the same in both processes. But, they are not zero.

This is the definition of an adiabatic process, so True. But what has this got to do with the present problem?
the present problem is Isothermal state
so delta T = 0
Delta U=0

aliserwan said:
the present problem is Isothermal state
so delta T = 0
Delta U=0
Are you saying the delta T is zero for each of the two process paths? Or are you saying that delta T is zero between the two final states of the two processes?

Chestermiller said:
Are you saying the delta T is zero for each of the two process paths? Or are you saying that delta T is zero between the two final states of the two processes?
i don't know exactly , However, do you agree with me that the correct answer is a

aliserwan said:
i don't know exactly , However, do you agree with me that the correct answer is a
Even though a is the right answer, I mark you wrong on this problem because you were unable to provide an acceptable explanation.

Likes aliserwan
In that attachment, isothermal follows one of the curves. In the present problem, each process follows a straight line, one vertical, one horizontal. Neither is isothermal.

You seem to be thinking of a process that runs from one of those two final states to the other. That is not the question asked. You are asked to compare the two non isothermal processes.

Likes Chestermiller

Related to Question in thermodynamics -- Two paths on a P-V diagram....

1. What is a P-V diagram in thermodynamics?

A P-V diagram, also known as a pressure-volume diagram, is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume in a thermodynamic system. It is commonly used to analyze and visualize thermodynamic processes.

2. How are two paths represented on a P-V diagram?

Two paths on a P-V diagram are represented by two different lines or curves. Each path represents a different thermodynamic process, such as isothermal, adiabatic, or isobaric.

3. What is the significance of two paths on a P-V diagram?

The presence of two paths on a P-V diagram allows for the comparison of two different thermodynamic processes. This can help in understanding the efficiency and performance of a system, as well as identifying any discrepancies or inefficiencies.

4. How do the properties of a system change along the two paths on a P-V diagram?

The properties of a system, such as pressure, volume, and temperature, change along the two paths on a P-V diagram according to the specific thermodynamic process being represented. For example, in an isothermal process, the temperature remains constant while the pressure and volume change.

5. What can a P-V diagram tell us about a thermodynamic system?

A P-V diagram can provide information about the work done, heat transfer, and efficiency of a thermodynamic system. It can also show the direction and magnitude of energy flow within the system. Additionally, it can be used to analyze and optimize the performance of a system.