Question is about the acceleration

In summary, the system is released from rest and moves 50 cm in 1.0 s. The value of M is found to be 0.34 kg and the acceleration is 1 m/s^2. The difference in acceleration obtained by using different equations is due to the fact that one equation calculates average velocity while the other calculates final velocity.
gijungkim

Homework Statement

The system shown is released from rest and moves 50 cm in 1.0 s. What is the value of M? All surfaces are frictionless.

X = 0.5 m
t = 1sec
m1 = 3kg
m2 = M

However, my question is about the acceleration. I'm just curious why I cannot use vf = v0 + at equation instead of x = x0 + v0t + 0.5at^2

Homework Equations

x = x0 + v0t + 0.5at^2
vf = v0 + at

The Attempt at a Solution

X = X0 + V0t + 0.5at^2
0.5m = 0 + 0 + 0.5a(1)^2
a=1m/s^2

M*g = (3kg + M)a
M(g-a) = 3a
M = 3a/(g-a) = 0.34kg

So I got M = 0.34kg. I know this is the answer but now my question is the acceleration.
I know I got 1m/s^2 from X = X0 + V0t + 0.5at^2 equation, but why can I not use Vf = V0 + at equation?
If I use Vf = V0 + at then I get a=0.5m/s^2 since vf = 0.5m/s and v0 = 0m/s and t=1.
Why do they have different acceleration?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 754
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get Vf = 0.5 m/s from?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Where did you get Vf = 0.5 m/s from?

Chet
Since it moved 0.5m in 1 sec, isn't it 0.5m/s??

gijungkim said:
Since it moved 0.5m in 1 sec, isn't it 0.5m/s??
That's the average velocity, not the final velocity. The velocity at time zero is 0 m/s and the final velocity at the end of 1 sec is 1m/s. So, what's the average of these two?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
That's the average velocity, not the final velocity. The velocity at time zero is 0 m/s and the final velocity at the end of 1 sec is 1m/s. So, what's the average of these two?

Chet
0.5! Thank you so much :)

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the measure of an object's speed and direction, while acceleration is the measure of how quickly the object's velocity is changing. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving, while acceleration tells us how much that velocity is changing.

4. What are some common examples of acceleration?

Some common examples of acceleration include a car speeding up or slowing down, a roller coaster going up or down a hill, and a person jumping off a diving board into a pool.

5. How does acceleration relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Acceleration is directly related to Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.