Kleppner 7.10 — Using a gyroscope to measure latitude

In summary: But to word it more precisely, the axis will only appear stationary in the reference frame of an observer on the Earth's surface if it is aligned to true north.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Latitude can be measured with a gyro by mounting the gyro with
its axle horizontal and lying along the east·west axis.

a. Show that the gyro can remain stationary when its spin axis is
parallel to the polar axis and is at the latitude angle A with the horizontal.
Relevant Equations
fg = mg
t = rf
l = Io*w
I am not sure about a, but i think as long as there is no torque about the Lp direction, it will remain constant with relation to the polar star. I would like help in proof this mathematically.
1589253385263.png

I just don't know how to proceed, i wonder if i would need to consider the torque provide by Centrifuge and Coriolis force, well... It made me wonder if I'm really on the right track.

p is a vector pointing polar star
v is a vertical vector.
Lambda is latitude
W is weight
fcf is force centrifuge
N is reaction in a pivot

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need any formulas for this.
What is the basic characteristic of the spin axis of a (gimbaled) gyroscope?
Now pretend you point the gyro axis at the specified angle on a globe. Rotate the globe to simulate diurnal spin.
What has happened to the gyro spin axis, looking at the globe?
What if you are at latitude 45 deg. and you point the gyro spin axis horizontally instead of latitudinally along the Earth's polar axis?

Actually i think don't understood much 'bout this.
I know if a gyroscope is put in rotation about an axis, let's say East.West, since there is no torque on the flywheel, it will keep your angular momentum direction.
1590058597016.png

I don't know why is necessary point to Polar, and don't know too why in some cases it rotation direction will line up with the Earth rotation axis

LCSphysicist said:
Actually i think don't understood much 'bout this.
I know if a gyroscope is put in rotation about an axis, let's say East.West, since there is no torque on the flywheel, it will keep your angular momentum direction.
View attachment 263199
I don't know why is necessary point to Polar, and don't know too why in some cases it rotation direction will line up with the Earth rotation axis
In your diagram, with the gyro axis initially EW, the observer sees the axis swing to vertical. What would the observer see if the initial axis were NS?

1590065314604.png

Not sure, i got struck in that thought, but seems the gyroscope always will point in the same direction.

". Show that the gyro can remain stationary when its spin axis is
parallel to the polar axis and is at the latitude angle A with the horizontal. "
Nice XD Thank you both

There is some "torque inertial or torque fictitious" to a person in the Earth reference frame justify why the axis swing to vertical in the first case?

LCSphysicist said:
the gyroscope always will point in the same direction.
Yes, but the observer doesn't.

haruspex said:
Yes, but the observer doesn't.
I am not sure if i got it.
What i understood is: If we want to know where is what we call true north, we need to find a direction where the gyroscope will stay stationary even to a person who is in the earth, right?

LCSphysicist said:
I am not sure if i got it.
What i understood is: If we want to know where is what we call true north, we need to find a direction where the gyroscope will stay stationary even to a person who is in the earth, right?
The question says nothing about using it to find true north. I don't think it would be a very practical method.
But to word it more precisely, the axis will only appear stationary in the reference frame of an observer on the Earth's surface if it is aligned to true north.

Likes LCSphysicist

1. How does a gyroscope measure latitude?

A gyroscope measures latitude by using the Earth's rotation to determine the angle between the gyroscope's axis and the Earth's axis of rotation. This angle is then used to calculate the latitude of the gyroscope's location.

2. What is the principle behind using a gyroscope to measure latitude?

The principle behind using a gyroscope to measure latitude is based on the conservation of angular momentum. As the Earth rotates, the gyroscope maintains its orientation in space, allowing for accurate measurement of the angle between the gyroscope's axis and the Earth's axis of rotation.

3. What are the advantages of using a gyroscope to measure latitude?

One advantage of using a gyroscope to measure latitude is that it does not rely on external references, such as stars or landmarks, making it a more reliable method in areas with poor visibility. Additionally, a gyroscope can provide continuous measurements, unlike other methods that require periodic readings.

4. Are there any limitations to using a gyroscope to measure latitude?

One limitation of using a gyroscope to measure latitude is that it is only accurate at the location where it is calibrated. Any changes in the Earth's rotation or the gyroscope's position can affect the accuracy of the measurements. Additionally, a gyroscope can only measure latitude, not longitude.

5. How is a gyroscope calibrated for measuring latitude?

A gyroscope is calibrated for measuring latitude by aligning its axis with the Earth's axis of rotation at a known location. This is typically done by using a reference point, such as the North Star, and adjusting the gyroscope until it is pointing towards the reference point. The angle between the gyroscope's axis and the Earth's axis is then used to calibrate the gyroscope for accurate latitude measurements.