Question on pendulum and cord tension

In summary, the tension in the string of a pendulum is greatest at the top due to the added weight of the string itself and the need to provide centripetal force for the lower parts of the string. This is in contrast to the maximum displacement, which is at p/4, or the maximum amplitude of the pendulum swing.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

A pendulum consists of a bob of mass A hanging from a string of non-zero mass m. Its maximum displacement is p/4 [whatever that p means, I do not know. the question writers do a poor job of writing questions]. What is true of the tension in the string?

1. 1) It is greatest at the top.
  2. 2) It is greatest at the bottom.
  3. 3) It is uniform throughout.
  4. 4) It does not vary when the pendulum is put in motion.
  5. 5) It is greatest when the pendulum is it its maximum amplitude.

Homework Equations

No equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted this by putting down 2, but the authors believe it is 1.

Here's how I thought of it.

Sum of centripetal forces = m * centripetal acceleration
T - mg [at bottom, maybe I need a sine or cosine term to account for angle] = m (v^2 / r)
T = m ( v^2 /r ) + mg.

Thus, the T would be greatest at the bottom as the speed of a pendulum bob is maximum at the bottom [maximum kinetic energy], according to my logic. How does this work, why are the writers right, and why is my approach wrong?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Physics news on Phys.org
RoboNerd said:
I attempted this by putting down 2, but the authors believe it is 1.

Here's how I thought of it.

Sum of centripetal forces = m * centripetal acceleration
T - mg [at bottom, maybe I need a sine or cosine term to account for angle] = m (v^2 / r)
T = m ( v^2 /r ) + mg.

Thus, the T would be greatest at the bottom as the speed of a pendulum bob is maximum at the bottom [maximum kinetic energy], according to my logic. How does this work, why are the writers right, and why is my approach wrong?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!
draw a free body diagram
also consider the mass of the string acting at the top.
the centripetal force is being provided by the tension of the string and tension is being balanced by one component of weight during its motion.
then analyze the tension.

Consider a free body diagram for an arbitrary segment of the string. What forces act on it?

Likes drvrm
Wait, I think I know why the answer is 1. The tension is greatest at the top as the string is not massless, and the string needs to support its own mass and that of the bob's.

Thanks!

RoboNerd said:
Wait, I think I know why the answer is 1. The tension is greatest at the top as the string is not massless, and the string needs to support its own mass and that of the bob's.

Thanks!
Yes, and it also needs to supply the centripetal force for the lower parts of the string.

Likes drvrm and RoboNerd
Great! Thanks so much!

1. What is a pendulum and how does it work?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that swings back and forth due to the force of gravity. The motion of a pendulum is governed by the principles of potential and kinetic energy, with the weight swinging back and forth between two points at a constant rate.

2. How does the length of the pendulum affect its swing?

The length of the pendulum plays a crucial role in its swing. The longer the length of the pendulum, the slower it will swing. This is because the longer pendulum has a larger arc to travel, which takes more time to complete each swing. Shorter pendulums will swing faster due to their smaller arc.

3. What is the formula for calculating the period of a pendulum?

The formula for calculating the period (T) of a pendulum is T = 2π√(l/g), where l is the length of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

4. How does the tension in the pendulum's cord affect its motion?

The tension in the pendulum's cord helps to maintain the pendulum's motion. The weight of the pendulum pulls down on the cord, creating a tension force that keeps the pendulum swinging. If the tension is too low, the pendulum may not complete a full swing. If the tension is too high, it can cause the pendulum to move faster and potentially lose its regular swing.

5. Can the pendulum's cord tension be adjusted to change its speed?

Yes, the tension in the pendulum's cord can be adjusted to change its speed. By increasing the tension, the pendulum will swing faster, and by decreasing the tension, the pendulum will swing slower. However, the length of the pendulum also plays a significant role in its speed, so adjusting both the length and tension may be necessary for significant changes in speed.