Question on pulleys force and rope pulling

In summary, the question asks about the tension required on a rope to lift weight in two different situations, where one has gravity helping and the other does not. The correct answer is A, but it may seem counterintuitive since gravity is pulling down on the hands. In situation B, there is an extra pulley, which means less force is needed but more distance is required. However, this is not about subjective ease, but about objective force.
homeylova223
Homework Statement
It is a picture.
Relevant Equations
Force= Mass*acceleration. Mechanical advantage.
question34.jpg

I have a question about the following 33 and 34. For number 33 I think the answer is B because you have to life up against the force of gravity. While with A you have gravity helping you out. The correct answer is A but I am not sure how.

for 34 I think B because you have an extra pulley so you need less force but more distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
homeylova223 said:
Homework Statement:: It is a picture.
Relevant Equations:: Force= Mass*acceleration. Mechanical advantage.

I have a question about the following 33 and 34. For number 33 I think the answer is B because you have to life up against the force of gravity. While with A you have gravity helping you out. The correct answer is A but I am not sure how.

for 34 I think B because you have an extra pulley so you need less force but more distance.

For 33, what would be the tension in the string/rope in each case if it was fastened to the floor or ceiling?

I think rope B in question 33would have half the tension if it was anchored to the ceiling. But A has the pulley helping.

homeylova223 said:
I think rope B in question 33would have half the tension if it was anchored to the ceiling. But A has the pulley helping.
I like the first sentence. But, what do you mean by "A has the pulley helping"?

I think I mean gravity would help because you are pulling down.

homeylova223 said:
If I understand the reasoning correctly, since gravity is pulling your hands downward, your arms need not work so hard to move your hands against the rope.

However, this is not what the question is getting at. Ignore your hands. What tension is required on the rope to lift weight in situation A? What tension is required on the rope to lift the weight in situation B?

I can vaguely remember a decades-old intuition much like the one you are using here. It feels like it should be easier to pull down on a rope than to pull up. And yes, it is indeed easier to do a pull up than to do a curl. But we are not being asked about subjective ease. We are being asked about objective force.

homeylova223 said:

Are you sure it works like that?

Physically, in terms of biomechanics, it's better to pull down where you can use your body weight. But, that's just a better way for you to generate a force; not that you physically need less force.

Likes jbriggs444
I think I get in B you have the taking ceiling subtracting away some of tension on the rope. So you only pull with half the force.

homeylova223 said:
I think I get in B you have the taking ceiling subtracting away some of tension on the rope. So you only pull with half the force.

Yes, it's a pity you can't just set this up as an experiment and see for yourself.

1. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system is a simple machine that uses a rope or cable wrapped around a wheel to change the direction of a force. By using multiple pulleys, the force required to lift an object can be reduced. As the rope is pulled, the pulley rotates and the object is lifted.

2. What is the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is the ratio of the output force to the input force. In a single fixed pulley system, the mechanical advantage is 1, meaning the output force is equal to the input force. In a multiple pulley system, the mechanical advantage can be increased, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

3. How does the number of pulleys affect the force required to lift an object?

The more pulleys that are used in a system, the less force is required to lift an object. This is because the weight of the object is distributed among the pulleys, reducing the force needed to lift it. However, the distance the rope needs to be pulled will increase with each additional pulley.

4. What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted and moves with it. In a movable pulley system, the mechanical advantage is increased because the weight of the object is distributed between the rope and the pulley.

5. How does friction affect the efficiency of a pulley system?

Friction can decrease the efficiency of a pulley system by causing resistance between the rope and the pulley. This can result in a loss of energy and make it more difficult to lift an object. To increase the efficiency, lubricants can be used or the pulleys can be designed to reduce friction.