Question on Resolving Power of Diffraction Grating

In summary: When the slit width ## b ## is made small enough that this latest ## \Delta \lambda=\frac{bd}{mf} ## is less than ## \Delta \lambda_{diffraction \, limit}=\frac{\lambda}{Nm} ##, then the resolution is determined by the diffraction limit.
warhammer
Homework Statement
A diffraction grating kept at normal incidence gives a line of wavelength 540nm in a certain order superposed with another wavelength of 450nm of the next higher order. If the angle of diffraction is 10 degree, compute the no. of lines per centimeter in the grating. Will the line be resolved in the first order, if the light is assumed to fall in an area of cm width grating?
Relevant Equations
Resolving Power=mN=λ/∆λ
I have doubts about my work for the second part of the question, where I am asked if resolution will be possible or not.

For the first part, I calculated No. of lines N=6.43*10^2 lines/cm

For the second part, I have attached below a snapshot of my neatly written work. I request a PF member to have a look & guide me.

(And Greetings for the New Year! 🙏🏻🌸)

Attachments

• 20211228_213254.jpg
    20211228_213254.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 93
Physics news on Phys.org
On this one, there is little doubt that those two lines will be resolved at first order=450 nm and 540 nm are very far apart. In any case, it should be apparent that the two are at 6th order and 5th order respectively when they overlap.
For ## D=1 ## cm, ## N=D \delta=643 ##, so that ## Nm=643=\frac{\lambda}{\Delta \lambda} ##, making the resolution ## \Delta \lambda \approx 1 ## nm , ( just slightly less than 1 nm), at first order, (## m=1 ##). Two lines that are 90 nm apart will be very far apart, and of course they are resolved. :)
Note: The spectrometer has enough resolution that it would most likely distinguish two lines of ## \lambda= 450 ## nm and ## 451 ## nm at first order. To ask whether it can separate ## \lambda=450 ## nm and ## \lambda=540 ## nm at first order is perhaps kind of a dumb question. :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes warhammer
Charles Link said:
On this one, there is little doubt that those two lines will be resolved at first order=450 nm and 540 nm are very far apart. In any case, it should be apparent that the two are at 6th order and 5th order respectively when they overlap.
For ## D=1 ## cm, ## N=D \delta=643 ##, so that ## Nm=643=\frac{\lambda}{\Delta \lambda} ##, making the resolution ## \Delta \lambda \approx 1 ## nm , ( just slightly less than 1 nm), at first order, (## m=1 ##). Two lines that are 90 nm apart will be very far apart, and of course they are resolved. :)
Note: The spectrometer has enough resolution that it would most likely distinguish two lines of ## \lambda= 450 ## nm and ## 451 ## nm at first order. To ask whether it can separate ## \lambda=450 ## nm and ## \lambda=540 ## nm at first order is perhaps kind of a dumb question. :)
Ah, thank you so much for your kind guidance sir. I was able to gauge this but I needed to back the same mathematically and was somewhat doubtful of my work for some reason (if my math based reasoning was ok or not) but with your guidance, I can be quite sure of it :D

Likes Charles Link
@warhammer For additional details on the diffraction grating spectrometer, including how the resolution formula is derived,
see https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/fundamentals-of-the-diffraction-grating-spectrometer/

Edit: I should add that most often with a spectrometer, the resolution is determined by the slit width, rather than by the diffraction limit. With slit widths of ## b ##, we have the usual ## m \lambda=d \sin{\theta} ##, so that ## \Delta \theta \approx \frac{m \Delta \lambda}{d}=\frac{b}{f} ##, (within a factor of 2). The result is ## \Delta \lambda \approx \frac{bd}{mf} ##.

When the slit width ## b ## is made small enough that this latest ## \Delta \lambda=\frac{bd}{mf} ## is less than ## \Delta \lambda_{diffraction \, limit}=\frac{\lambda}{Nm} ##, then the resolution is determined by the diffraction limit.

(and I see I discussed this in calculation (5) of the above article where slit width ## b=\Delta x ##).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes warhammer

1. What is the definition of resolving power of a diffraction grating?

The resolving power of a diffraction grating is a measure of its ability to separate closely spaced spectral lines. It is defined as the ratio of the wavelength of light being observed to the smallest wavelength difference that can be resolved by the grating.

2. How is the resolving power of a diffraction grating calculated?

The resolving power of a diffraction grating can be calculated using the equation R = Nm, where R is the resolving power, N is the number of grooves per unit length on the grating, and m is the diffraction order. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the equation R = λ/Δλ, where λ is the wavelength of light and Δλ is the smallest wavelength difference that can be resolved.

3. What factors affect the resolving power of a diffraction grating?

The resolving power of a diffraction grating is affected by the number of grooves per unit length, the wavelength of light, and the angle of diffraction. A higher number of grooves per unit length and a shorter wavelength of light will result in a higher resolving power. Additionally, a smaller angle of diffraction will also increase the resolving power.

4. How does the resolving power of a diffraction grating compare to other instruments?

The resolving power of a diffraction grating is typically higher than other instruments, such as prisms or filters, due to the large number of grooves on the grating. However, it may not be as high as other instruments such as Fabry-Perot interferometers.

5. Can the resolving power of a diffraction grating be improved?

Yes, the resolving power of a diffraction grating can be improved by increasing the number of grooves per unit length, using a grating with smaller groove spacing, and using a shorter wavelength of light. Additionally, using a higher diffraction order can also improve the resolving power.