Question on rotational dynamics

In summary, the question was asking how the mass on a string affects the angular velocity of a disk that is rotating around it.
mathlete
Here is the question (it's part of a lab):

"From your lectures in mechanics you should be able to derive:
[tex]\alpha = \frac{mgr}{I+mr^2}[/tex]
This equation ignores the effect of the pulleys and the mass of the connecting string"

The lab was basically setting up a mass on a string over a pulley, connected to a rotation horizontal disc which would oscillate back and forth (if this information is needed).

Don't know where to start - I thought maybe conservation of energy, PEi + KEi = PEf + KEf, but I can't get anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question? Do they want you to derive that equation?

Sirus said:
What is the question? Do they want you to derive that equation?
Yes, that was the whole question. Don't know what to do..

Anyone have an idea?

Since you haven't bothered with the simple courtesy of defining your terms, nope.

arildno said:
Since you haven't bothered with the simple courtesy of defining your terms, nope.
If you don't know that I is moment of inertia and m is mass, you probably can't answer it anyway.

I of what?
m of what?
r of what?

For what it's worth, here's your solution:
The magnitude of yhe string's acceleration is related to the disk's angular acceleration by:
[tex]|a|=r\alpha[/tex]
where the ang. acc. is considered greater than zero.
Hence, the tension in the rope is given by:
[tex]T=mg-mr\alpha[/tex]
Hence, the momwnt-of momwntum wquation about the disk's center is:
[tex]mgr-mr^{2}\alpha=I\alpha[/tex]

Next time, show a proper measure of respect towards your readers than some muddøed half-baked account of an experiment..

arildno said:
For what it's worth, here's your solution:
The magnitude of yhe string's acceleration is related to the disk's angular acceleration by:
[tex]|a|=r\alpha[/tex]
where the ang. acc. is considered greater than zero.
Hence, the tension in the rope is given by:
[tex]T=mg-mr\alpha[/tex]
Hence, the momwnt-of momwntum wquation about the disk's center is:
[tex]mgr-mr^{2}\alpha=I\alpha[/tex]

Next time, show a proper measure of respect towards your readers than some muddøed half-baked account of an experiment..
I was just reading the problem straight from the book, verbatim. Thanks for the answer though :blushing:

All right, just an advice:
Next time you relate an EXPERIMENT you've done, you need to remember that others can't read your mind. As you very sketchily described the experimental set-up, it was liable to several interpretations, not just one.

In particular, the role of the horizontal disk is most unsatisfactorily described!
It took some time to figure out the real experiment behind your words..:wink:

Related to Question on rotational dynamics

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis. It involves analyzing the forces and torques acting on an object to determine its rotational motion.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational dynamics?

The main difference between linear and rotational dynamics is the type of motion being studied. Linear dynamics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line, while rotational dynamics deals with the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis.

3. What are some real-world applications of rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics has many practical applications, such as understanding the motion of planets and satellites in space, designing and analyzing mechanical systems like car engines and wind turbines, and studying the movements of athletes in sports like figure skating and gymnastics.

4. How is rotational inertia related to rotational dynamics?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It plays a crucial role in rotational dynamics, as it affects how much torque is needed to accelerate an object and how it will behave when subjected to external forces.

5. What are some common equations used in rotational dynamics?

Some common equations used in rotational dynamics include Newton's second law for rotational motion, τ = Iα (where τ is torque, I is moment of inertia, and α is angular acceleration), and the work-energy theorem for rotational motion, ΔKE = ½I(ωf² - ωi²) (where ΔKE is change in kinetic energy, I is moment of inertia, ωf is final angular velocity, and ωi is initial angular velocity).