Question on Stern Gerlach experiment

In summary, the Stern Gerlach experiment aims to determine the position of an electron either before or right after it leaves the inhomogeneous field or when it hits the detecting foil. This can be tested by replacing the foil with two slits and observing for a diffraction pattern on the other side, indicating a superposition of spin states. However, further steps may be necessary to obtain interference since the spin states of the electron do not interfere with each other.
Iforgot
In the Stern Gerlach experiment, when does the electron's position get determined? Before/right after it leaves the inhomogeneous field? Or when it hits the detecting foil?

This could be tested by replacing the foil with two slits at each of the expected regions of electron incidence. If there is a diffraction pattern on the other side of the slits, that means that the electron was in a superposition of spin up and spin down states after leaving the inhomogeneous field.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those outputs can't interfere, since you could know which slit each electron went through by measuring it's spin again. You'd need a perpendicular spin measurement first, as in a quantum eraser experiment.

Iforgot said:
In the Stern Gerlach experiment, when does the electron's position get determined? Before/right after it leaves the inhomogeneous field? Or when it hits the detecting foil?

This could be tested by replacing the foil with two slits at each of the expected regions of electron incidence. If there is a diffraction pattern on the other side of the slits, that means that the electron was in a superposition of spin up and spin down states after leaving the inhomogeneous field.

There are only 2 possible outputs. They are quantized as +1 and -1. There is one of the things the experiment shows.

Cesiumfrog,

Hehehe. To measure it's spin again, you would need another Stern Gerlach experiment after the slits. And then my questions would still be valid for that Stern Gerlach experiment.

Let me know if you know of any papers/books dealing with this question.

2) "The electron spin state is in a superposition of up and down until we see where the incident electron hit the foil". Is this a true statement?

Do you see where I'm going with this? Ideally, I would like to show that it's the periodic potential from the crystal lattice in the foil that broadens the wave function in k-space, and localizes it in r-space. This would allows us to calculate how spin transitions from a superposition of +1/-1 states, to a single state.

Iforgot said:
Cesiumfrog,

Hehehe. To measure it's spin again, you would need another Stern Gerlach experiment after the slits. And then my questions would still be valid for that Stern Gerlach experiment.

Let me know if you know of any papers/books dealing with this question.

2) "The electron spin state is in a superposition of up and down until we see where the incident electron hit the foil". Is this a true statement?

Do you see where I'm going with this? Ideally, I would like to show that it's the periodic potential from the crystal lattice in the foil that broadens the wave function in k-space, and localizes it in r-space. This would allows us to calculate how spin transitions from a superposition of +1/-1 states, to a single state.

Perhaps I don't understand completely what you are proposing, but AFAICS there are several problems with your idea:

1) electrons are not amenable to Stern-Gerlach experiments, since they are charged particles, and the Lorentz force will dominate their trajectories, rather than the magnetic coupling to the spin.

2) In an S.G. experiment, the two spatial paths in the apparatus become entangled with the two values of spin, and this entanglement is resolved at the point of detection. However, if the two beams are spatially resolved, as in the historical SG experiments, then there is no ambiguity about the spin of the atoms that get deflected to a particular spot. IOW, the "upper spot" is always "spin up" and vice versa.

3) If I understood your proposed experiment, you want to put a double-slit at the end of each arm of the SG apparatus. I don't see how this will tell you much about the particle's spin ... particles passing through a physical double slit will produce an interference pattern irrespective of their spin, provided that you don't record which-path information. For this case I don't see how the spin can be correlated with which-path information, so I guess you would see interference patterns at both slits, but it wouldn't tell you anything about the question you are trying to address, i.e. whether or not the electrons were in spin-state superpositions.

Spectracat,

Thanks for the feed back!

3) I chose the words poorly. One slit at each arm of the SG apparatus.

2) Aha! This is what I wanted to know. Spin entanglement is resolved when the electron hits the foil!

This conversation is part of another curiosity of mine. I'm trying to understand how "measuring" "collapses" a wave-function. It just seems like words. I want to show that it can be calculated using scattering or time dependent perturbation theory formalisms.

See
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=399767

for the discussion

Iforgot said:

You would need to do more as that to obtain interference.

The two states "up" and "down" do not interfere with each other just like horizontal
polarized light doesn't interfere with vertical polarized light. They are two independent
components of the electron field. You need to realign the spins to get interference.

You should get interference if the spin of the original electron is in any other direction
as those identified with "up"and "down" in the experiment. You may again compare this
with the polarization direction of light which contains both an H and a V component
dependent on the angle.

The field of the electron in the Dirac representation splits into two parts in a magnetic
field with a gradient in exactly the way as seen in Stern Gerlach experiments.

Regards, Hans

Ok. Just put some equivalent polarizing element in. Like they do for optics in
September 1994 / Vol. 33, No. 25 / APPLIED OPTICS

Related to Question on Stern Gerlach experiment

1. What is the Stern Gerlach experiment?

The Stern Gerlach experiment is a physics experiment conducted in 1922 by Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach. It demonstrated the existence of quantized angular momentum in atoms, which led to the development of quantum mechanics.

2. How does the Stern Gerlach experiment work?

The experiment involves passing a beam of silver atoms through an inhomogeneous magnetic field. The atoms are deflected either up or down depending on their spin orientation, which can be observed by the formation of two distinct spots on a detector screen.

3. What was the significance of the Stern Gerlach experiment?

The experiment provided evidence for the quantization of angular momentum in atoms, which was a crucial step in the development of quantum mechanics. It also helped to confirm the existence of spin in particles, which was a new concept at the time.

4. What were the main findings of the Stern Gerlach experiment?

The main findings of the experiment were that the silver atoms had two possible spin orientations, up or down, and that these orientations were quantized. This means that the spin of the particles could only take on certain discrete values rather than any value in between.

5. How did the Stern Gerlach experiment impact the field of quantum mechanics?

The Stern Gerlach experiment played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics. It provided evidence for the quantization of angular momentum and the existence of spin in particles, which were important concepts in understanding the behavior of atoms and subatomic particles. The experiment also helped to pave the way for further research and advancements in quantum mechanics.