Question on Time-Independent Perturbation Theory

In summary: The textbook's author begs the question. He says "let's check normalization" and then apparently uses normalization to claim that the cross terms on the right hand side must vanish because the leading term on the right is equal to 1.
cwill53
Homework Statement
I just need a quick check on something from Appendix A in "Nanostructures and Nanotechnology" by Douglas Natelson.
Relevant Equations
$$H|\psi \rangle=E|\psi \rangle$$
$$H^0|\psi^0 \rangle=E^0|\psi^0 \rangle$$
$$E_j=E^0_j+\sum_{i=1}^{n}\lambda ^iE^i_j$$
$$|\psi _j\rangle=|\psi^0 _j\rangle+\sum_{i=1}^{n}\lambda ^i|\psi^i _j\rangle$$
image_6487327 (15).JPG

image_6487327 (16).JPG

I'm currently reading this passage to review perturbation theory. Just before Equation (A.4), this passage tells me to take the inner product of the proposed eigenstate ##|\psi _j\rangle## with itself. Writing this out, I got:

$$1=\left \langle \psi _j| \psi _j\right \rangle=\left ( |\psi^0 _j\rangle+\sum_{k=1}^{n}\lambda ^k|\psi^k _j\rangle \right )^\dagger\left ( |\psi^0 _j\rangle+\sum_{i=1}^{n}\lambda ^i|\psi^i _j\rangle \right )$$

$$= \left ( \langle\psi^0 _j|+\sum_{i=1}^{n}\left (\lambda ^i \right )^*\langle\psi^i _j| \right )\left ( |\psi^0 _j\rangle+\sum_{k=1}^{n}\lambda ^k|\psi^k _j\rangle \right )$$

$$=\left \langle \psi^0 _j| \psi^0 _j\right \rangle+\sum_{i=1}^{n}\lambda ^i\left \langle \psi^0 _j| \psi^i _j\right \rangle+\sum_{i=1}^{n}\left (\lambda ^i \right )^*\langle\psi^i _j|\psi^0 _j\rangle+\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sum_{k=1}^{n}(\lambda ^i)^*\lambda ^k\left \langle \psi^i _j| \psi^k _j\right \rangle$$

I'm not sure how Equation (A.4) follows from this though.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think (A.4) does not follow from the previous equations. It's just the usual orthonormal conditions on a basis set.

Grelbr42 said:
I think (A.4) does not follow from the previous equations. It's just the usual orthonormal conditions on a basis set.
Okay, so basically you’re saying we impose the first equation in (A.4) and that’s what yields the second one? The reason that it’s confusing to me is that when the passage asks us to take the inner product, it makes it seems as if we know something about the perturbative corrections to the state function a priori.

cwill53 said:
I'm not sure how Equation (A.4) follows from this though.
I'm with you on this. I think the textbook's author begs the question. He says "let's check normalization" and then apparently uses normalization to claim that the cross terms on the right hand side must vanish because the leading term on the right is equal to 1. One should consider $$\begin{align} \left \langle \psi _j| \psi _j\right \rangle & =\left \langle \psi^0 _j| \psi^0 _j\right \rangle+\sum_{i=1}^{n}\lambda ^i\left \langle \psi^0 _j| \psi^i _j\right \rangle+\sum_{i=1}^{n}\left (\lambda ^i \right )^*\langle\psi^i _j|\psi^0 _j\rangle+\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sum_{k=1}^{n}(\lambda ^i)^*\lambda ^k\left \langle \psi^i _j| \psi^k _j\right \rangle \nonumber \\
& = 1+\sum_{i=1}^{n}\lambda ^i\left \langle \psi^0 _j| \psi^i _j\right \rangle+\sum_{i=1}^{n}\left (\lambda ^i \right )^*\langle\psi^i _j|\psi^0 _j\rangle+\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sum_{k=1}^{n}(\lambda ^i)^*\lambda ^k\left \langle \psi^i _j| \psi^k _j\right \rangle \nonumber \end{align}$$and argue why the summations on the right hand side add up to give zero. I don't believe there is such an argument. See discussion here. Note the explicit use of the normalization constant ##N(\lambda)## in the end.

Likes cwill53

What is time-independent perturbation theory?

Time-independent perturbation theory is a mathematical framework used to study the behavior of quantum systems that are subject to small changes or perturbations in their Hamiltonian. It allows for the calculation of the energy levels and wavefunctions of the perturbed system in terms of the unperturbed system.

How is time-independent perturbation theory different from time-dependent perturbation theory?

Time-independent perturbation theory deals with systems that are subject to small perturbations that do not vary with time, while time-dependent perturbation theory deals with systems that are subject to perturbations that vary with time. In time-independent perturbation theory, the perturbation is treated as a constant, whereas in time-dependent perturbation theory, it is treated as a time-dependent function.

What is the first-order approximation in time-independent perturbation theory?

The first-order approximation in time-independent perturbation theory is the simplest and most commonly used approximation. It involves calculating the energy levels and wavefunctions of the perturbed system by considering only the first-order effects of the perturbation on the unperturbed system.

What is the role of the unperturbed Hamiltonian in time-independent perturbation theory?

The unperturbed Hamiltonian serves as the starting point for time-independent perturbation theory. It represents the system without any perturbations and is used to calculate the energy levels and wavefunctions of the unperturbed system. The perturbed Hamiltonian is then added to the unperturbed Hamiltonian to account for the perturbations and calculate the energy levels and wavefunctions of the perturbed system.

What are some applications of time-independent perturbation theory?

Time-independent perturbation theory is widely used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems. It is also used in other fields such as solid-state physics, nuclear physics, and chemical physics. Some specific applications include calculating energy levels and wavefunctions of atoms in external electric or magnetic fields, studying the effects of intermolecular interactions on molecular energy levels, and predicting the properties of materials under strain or pressure.