Bosonic operator eigenvalues in second quantization

In summary: B_-^j|^2-1)\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j\mid \Psi \rangleIn summary, in order to prove that repeatedly applying ##\hat{b}_j## results in (|B_-^j|^2-n_j)\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j ...\mid \Psi \rangle, you must apply the operator from the left. This can be shown by using commutation relations and the fact that applying ##\hat{b}_j## from the left will result in a factor of (|B_-^j|^2 - 1) each time it is applied.
RicardoMP

Homework Statement

Following from [tex] \hat{b}^\dagger_j\hat{b}_j(\hat{b}_j
\mid \Psi \rangle
)=(|B_-^j|^2-1)\hat{b}_j
\mid \Psi \rangle
[/tex], I want to prove that if I keep applying ##\hat{b}_j##, ## n_j##times, I'll get: [tex] (|B_-^j|^2-n_j)\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j ...
\mid \Psi \rangle
[/tex].

Homework Equations

Commutation relations: [tex] [\hat{b}^\dagger_j\hat{b}_j,\hat{b}_j]=-\hat{b}_j[/tex]
Also: [tex]
\langle \psi \mid
\hat{b}^\dagger_j\hat{b}_j
\mid \Psi \rangle
=||\hat{b}_j
\mid \Psi \rangle
||^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

After proving for n=1, I went for n=2 and from there on the proof would be trivial. However, for n=2 I get:
[tex] \hat{b}^\dagger_j\hat{b}_j(\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j
\mid \Psi \rangle
)=(|B_-^j|^2-1)\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j
\mid \Psi \rangle
[/tex] after using the commutation relation I referred above (the same for n>2). How do I get [tex](|B_-^j|^2-2)\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j
\mid \Psi \rangle
[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
RicardoMP said:

Homework Statement

Following from [tex] \hat{b}^\dagger_j\hat{b}_j(\hat{b}_j
\mid \Psi \rangle
)=(|B_-^j|^2-1)\hat{b}_j
\mid \Psi \rangle
[/tex], I want to prove that if I keep applying ##\hat{b}_j##, ## n_j##times, I'll get: [tex] (|B_-^j|^2-n_j)\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j ...
\mid \Psi \rangle
[/tex].

Homework Equations

Commutation relations: [tex] [\hat{b}^\dagger_j\hat{b}_j,\hat{b}_j]=-\hat{b}_j[/tex]
Also: [tex]
\langle \psi \mid
\hat{b}^\dagger_j\hat{b}_j
\mid \Psi \rangle
=||\hat{b}_j
\mid \Psi \rangle
||^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

After proving for n=1, I went for n=2 and from there on the proof would be trivial. However, for n=2 I get:
[tex] \hat{b}^\dagger_j\hat{b}_j(\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j
\mid \Psi \rangle
)=(|B_-^j|^2-1)\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j
\mid \Psi \rangle
[/tex] after using the commutation relation I referred above (the same for n>2). How do I get [tex](|B_-^j|^2-2)\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j
\mid \Psi \rangle
[/tex]?
If the question is really that you must keep applying ##\hat{b}_j##, then it means that it must be applied from the left. For n=2 you should be doing
[tex]\hat{b}_j \hat{b}^\dagger_j(\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j
\mid \Psi \rangle
) [/tex]

1. What is second quantization?

Second quantization is a mathematical formalism used in quantum mechanics to describe systems with an arbitrary number of identical particles. It treats particles as excitations of quantum fields, and allows for the creation and annihilation of particles.

2. What are bosonic operators?

Bosonic operators are mathematical operators that act on bosonic quantum states. They are used to describe the creation and annihilation of bosonic particles, such as photons or phonons.

3. What are eigenvalues in second quantization?

In second quantization, eigenvalues refer to the possible values that a bosonic operator can take when acting on a quantum state. These values correspond to the energy levels of the system and are used to describe the behavior and properties of the particles.

4. How are bosonic operator eigenvalues calculated?

Bosonic operator eigenvalues are typically calculated using mathematical techniques such as diagonalization or perturbation theory. These methods involve solving equations or performing calculations to determine the allowed values of the bosonic operator.

5. What is the significance of bosonic operator eigenvalues in second quantization?

The eigenvalues of bosonic operators in second quantization are important because they provide information about the energy levels and behavior of the particles in a system. They can also be used to calculate physical quantities such as the particle density or the energy of the system.