Question re flat infinite universe with a preferred direction

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an infinite or finite universe and the implications of each. It also addresses the concept of global flatness and the observation of two nodes in the sky that are in exact opposite positions. The origin of these nodes is explained as a result of the motion of the solar system in relation to the rest frame of the primordial plasma. The conversation also touches on the topic of peculiar velocity and its effect on the cosmic microwave background radiation.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
If the universe is flat and infinite, then what is the explanation of the origin of the exact opposite directions of the two nodes in the sky which are the sources of minimum and maximum cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation? It seems reasonable to suppose that these nodes existed well before the CMB began.
The implication seems to be that from the beginning of the post expansion era, there was everywhere an average velocity of a large volume of matter which was (very near) zero everywhere with respect to a common fixed coordinate system (with a spacially uniform time expansion of distances) throughout the entire infinite universe.

I noticed that the thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-the-universe-finite-or-is-it-infinite.506986/ did not address this issue. I suggest that a finite hyper-spherical universe would require only a finite volume of a fixed coordinate system. I suppose it is just a matter of personal preference regarding whether an infinite or a finite coordinate system is more capable of producing the finite average velocity everywhere.

Space news on Phys.org
I presume when you say "if the universe is flat" you are referring to its large scale structure, not suggesting that it be absolutely flat everywhere. ie I presume you mean large-scale flat as opposed to large-scale elliptic or large scale hyperbolic. A universe that is absolutely flat everywhere would have no separated bodies of matter such as planets. In other words I presume you are conceiving a universe that is globally flat but not locally flat.

If so then there's no contradiction between global flatness and a local phenomenon such as the perception on a single planet (Earth) of directions of maximum and minimum CMBR. Global uniformity is about large scale averages in the limit as our measurement scope approaches infinity, and says nothing about local phenomena like those nodes.

Likes timmdeeg
Hi @andrewkirk:

Thank you for your response. Your identifying "if the universe is flat" as referring to "its large scale structure" is exactly what I intended. I appologize for not being as clear as I should have been.

I am somewhat confused by your calling the two nodes in exact opposite positions in the sky as a "local phenomena". I am probably misunderstanding your intent, but your description seems to be saying that if an observer in a different location at some very large distance from our location observed the two nodes, they would likely be in the sky in a different direction than where the nodes we see are. That geometry does not make sense to me. It would plausibly perhaps make some sense if the nodes were not in exact opposite positions in the sky. If the other observer found the two opposite node in exactly the same sky location as we see it, then it would not be reasonable to call it a local phenomenon.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
what is the explanation of the origin of the exact opposite directions of the two nodes in the sky which are the sources of minimum and maximum cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation?
For the Earth/Milky Way, ##v_\mathrm{peculiar} \neq 0## with respect to the Hubble flow. See the cosmology section of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peculiar_velocity

Likes PeroK and Bandersnatch
As George said, the temperature dipole in the CMB is just the doppler shift due to the motion of the solar system w/r to the rest frame of the primordial plasma. I.e. the few hundred km/s we ended up accruing as a result of how the structure in the universe has evolved - the Milky Way is moving, attracted by the mass distribution in its neighbourhood, and the Sun is moving on an orbit within it. You get relative blueshift on the one side of the sky and redshift on the other, along the axis of motion.

Likes vanhees71
Hi @George Jones and @Bandersnatch:

Thank you very much for your posts. I now get the mistake in thinking which I was experiencing. I blame it all on my very advanced years.

Regards,
Buzz

1. What is a flat infinite universe with a preferred direction?

A flat infinite universe with a preferred direction is a theoretical model of the universe in which the universe is infinite in size and has a flat geometry, meaning that it has no curvature. Additionally, this model proposes that there is a preferred direction in the universe, meaning that there is a specific axis or direction that has a special significance.

2. How does this model differ from other models of the universe?

This model differs from other models of the universe, such as the Big Bang theory, in that it does not propose a beginning or an end to the universe. Instead, it suggests that the universe has always existed and will continue to exist infinitely. It also differs in that it proposes a preferred direction, which is not a feature of other models.

3. What evidence supports the idea of a flat infinite universe with a preferred direction?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence that supports the idea of a flat infinite universe with a preferred direction. This model is purely theoretical and is based on mathematical equations and theoretical physics. However, some scientists suggest that the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang, may show some slight asymmetry that could support the idea of a preferred direction.

4. How does this model impact our understanding of the universe?

If this model were proven to be true, it would significantly impact our understanding of the universe. It would challenge many of our current theories and models, such as the Big Bang theory and the concept of a finite universe. It would also raise questions about the origin and structure of the universe and the role of a preferred direction in its evolution.

5. Are there any potential implications of a flat infinite universe with a preferred direction?

If this model were proven to be true, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the laws of physics and the fundamental principles that govern the universe. It could also impact our understanding of the origins of the universe and the potential for life on other planets. However, until there is concrete evidence to support this model, these implications are purely speculative.