Question regarding finding mass given a weight and gravity

In summary: I found this using Google: "A slug is defined as the mass that is accelerated by 1 ft/s2 when a force of one pound (lbf) is exerted on it."So, in conclusion, to find the weight of the mass using slugs, you would use 8/386.4.
edgarpokemon

Homework Statement

we did a quiz in my dynamics class, it was very easy i think but there was a problem where we had to find the speed of an object attached to a spring, but that is not my question. The mass had 8 pounds, and the spring constant was in inches, the measurements in inches. To find the weight, was i suppose to use 8/(386.4) or 8/(32.2)? the 386.4 is the value of gravity but in inches

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
edgarpokemon said:
The mass had 8 pounds, and the spring constant was in inches, the measurements in inches. To find the weight, was i suppose to use 8/(386.4) or 8/(32.2)? the 386.4 is the value of gravity but in inches
From what I gather on the basis of what you say, the weight of the mass is 8 pounds.

kuruman said:
From what I gather on the basis of what you say, the weight of the mass is 8 pounds.
sorry, i meant that the weight was 8 pounds. We were suppose to find the mass by dividing the weight by gravity or W/g.

edgarpokemon said:
sorry, i meant that the weight was 8 pounds. We were suppose to find the mass by dividing the weight by gravity or W/g.
As far as I am aware, from dim recollection and a little web browsing, one pound force = one pound mass * g. So if the weight was 8 lb force then the mass was 8 lb mass.

Or you could convert pounds to wretched slugs: m = w/g = 8/32.2 = 0.249 slugs

TomHart said:
Or you could convert pounds to wretched slugs: m = w/g = 8/32.2 = 0.249 slugs
right, sorry i meant slugs. well the problem had measurements in inches and the spring constant was inches, so is it correct find the slugs by using gravity but in inches? so 8/386.4?

edgarpokemon said:
right, sorry i meant slugs. well the problem had measurements in inches and the spring constant was inches, so is it correct find the slugs by using gravity but in inches? so 8/386.4?
I think you need to state the whole problem, word for word.

edgarpokemon said:
I found this using Google: "A slug is defined as the mass that is accelerated by 1 ft/s2 when a force of one pound (lbf) is exerted on it."
So no, you can't use inches with slugs. You can't mix units; they have to match. I think if it was me, I would convert all of the inch measurements to feet.

What is the formula for finding mass given weight and gravity?

The formula for finding mass given weight and gravity is m = w/g, where m represents mass, w represents weight, and g represents gravity.

Can mass be calculated without knowing weight and gravity?

No, mass cannot be calculated without knowing both weight and gravity. These two values are necessary components in the formula for finding mass.

What units are typically used for weight and gravity?

The most commonly used units for weight are pounds (lbs) and kilograms (kg), while the most commonly used units for gravity are meters per second squared (m/s^2) and feet per second squared (ft/s^2).

How does weight and gravity affect an object's mass?

Weight and gravity do not directly affect an object's mass. Rather, they are used to calculate the mass of the object based on the force of gravity acting on it.

Can weight and gravity be used interchangeably when finding mass?

No, weight and gravity cannot be used interchangeably when finding mass. Weight is a force and is affected by the acceleration of gravity, while gravity is a constant and represents the force of attraction between two objects. They are related, but not interchangeable in this formula.