Question regarding fusion reaction containment and procedure

In summary, fusion reaction containment is the process of confining and controlling extremely hot and energetic fusion reactions in a fusion reactor to prevent damage or destruction. This is achieved through the use of powerful magnetic fields generated by superconducting electromagnets. The procedure for initiating a fusion reaction involves heating and pressurizing a fuel, typically hydrogen isotopes, using powerful lasers or particle beams. However, maintaining fusion reaction containment presents challenges such as extreme temperatures and pressures, material degradation, and difficulty in controlling and maintaining magnetic fields. The potential benefits of successful fusion reaction containment include a nearly limitless source of clean and sustainable energy, minimal greenhouse gas emissions, and reduced reliance on fossil fuels to combat climate change.
Hayes
Good evening,
I am new to this forum and do not have a strong physics background. So if my questions seem woefully inept please respond with a simple laymans answer.

I understand that there are 2 basic ideas for fusion containment, and that the main 2 components of any successful fusion reaction is a ton of heat, and a ton of pressure. The Sun I know is an example of this, and happens to get away with less heat than man made fusion reactions due to its massive size which means that the particles that do happen to react are much more likely to hit each other than in our small man made reactions.

It is my understanding then, that pressure is paramount with a fusion reaction.

My basic question then involves a physics article I was reading. People were able to create the fastest spinning disk ever made by having a tiny calcium crystal suspended in a vacuum spin at speeds of 600million rpm. Why couldn't hydrogen gas or a similar fuel be spun at these speeds in a disk in order to create compression? From my very basic understanding, this would create enough compression that much less heat would be required for the fusion of the heated plasma. Of course the disk would have to be in a vacuum and would require a levitating force such as a magnetic field. Kind of like a tiny tire made of graphene filled with hydrogen. What role would friction between the spinning disk and the hydrogen play?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A diamond anvil press will do 100 million psi, apparently just enough to make hydrogen a metallic solid, but no fusion sadly enough, because as you say,.
it takes more than pressure, it also takes very energetic atomic motion, aka high temperature, to get the atoms energetic enough to fuse.
Spinning something makes it tend to fly apart, unless it is held together by some force. Unfortunately, no known material can hold together under such strain.

Hello and welcome to the forum! Your question about using a spinning disk to create compression for fusion reactions is an interesting one. While it may seem like a viable solution, there are a few factors that make it difficult to achieve in reality.

Firstly, creating a disk that can spin at 600 million rpm is a tremendous engineering challenge. The forces involved at such high speeds are enormous and would require extremely precise and durable materials. Additionally, the disk would need to be suspended in a vacuum and kept at a stable temperature in order to prevent any interference or disruptions to the spinning.

Secondly, as you mentioned, friction between the disk and the hydrogen would be a major issue. The heat generated from this friction would actually contribute to the overall heat required for fusion, making it counterproductive to the goal of reducing the need for heat.

Lastly, even if these challenges were overcome, it is still unclear if the compression achieved from the spinning disk would be enough to initiate a fusion reaction. The pressure required for fusion is incredibly high and it is uncertain if a spinning disk would be able to generate enough force to reach this level.

In summary, while your idea may seem feasible in theory, it would be extremely difficult to implement in practice and may not even produce the desired results. Fusion research is a complex and ongoing field, and scientists are constantly exploring new methods and technologies to achieve successful fusion reactions. I hope this helps answer your question!

1. What is fusion reaction containment?

Fusion reaction containment is the process of confining and controlling the extremely hot and energetic fusion reactions that occur in a fusion reactor. This is necessary to prevent the plasma from coming into contact with the walls of the reactor, which could damage or destroy the reactor.

2. How is fusion reaction containment achieved?

Fusion reaction containment is achieved through the use of powerful magnetic fields that are generated by superconducting electromagnets. These magnetic fields confine the plasma and prevent it from touching the walls of the reactor.

3. What is the procedure for initiating a fusion reaction?

The procedure for initiating a fusion reaction involves heating and pressurizing a fuel, typically a combination of hydrogen isotopes, to the extreme temperatures and pressures necessary for fusion to occur. This is usually done using powerful lasers or particle beams.

4. What are some challenges in maintaining fusion reaction containment?

Some of the challenges in maintaining fusion reaction containment include the extreme temperatures and pressures required, which can damage materials and cause them to degrade over time. Additionally, the magnetic fields used to contain the plasma can be difficult to control and maintain, and any disruptions can lead to loss of containment.

5. What are the potential benefits of fusion reaction containment?

If successful, fusion reaction containment could provide a nearly limitless source of clean and sustainable energy. It produces no greenhouse gas emissions and creates minimal radioactive waste. It could also potentially help reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and mitigate the effects of climate change.