Question regarding Newton's Method

In summary: I then used the value "1" and subbed it in for x for the next iteration and got 1.33333... then 1.5555... then 1.7037 then 1.802466667 and finally 1.868311111. Am I following the procedure correctly? do I just continue going down this path until the answer is within the scale of 1/1000 or 10-3? thanks in advance
King_Silver
So I know how to do Newton's Method without any trouble, taking a value for n then taking it away from the function divided by the derivative of the function I get that entirely and have done roughly 22-23 examples of it over the past 3-4 days. However I have come across one question regarding Newton's Method and it just doesn't make sense to me at all.
It is regarding a starting value x = 0.5 and a "tolerance". No examples in my notes or maths book ever have mentioned about tolerance so I'll just ask the question here.
NOTE: Do not do it for me, that defeats the purpose of my question, I want a step-by-step explanation on how the starting value and the tolerance would be introduced to this sort of question.

Question: f(x) = (x-2)3 = 0
Find the derivative of this function, then compute the roots of this equation using Newton's method.
starting value x =0.5
vary the tolerance from 10-3 to 10-13 reducing the tolerance by 10-1 each time

Physics news on Phys.org
King_Silver said:
So I know how to do Newton's Method without any trouble, taking a value for n then taking it away from the function divided by the derivative of the function I get that entirely and have done roughly 22-23 examples of it over the past 3-4 days. However I have come across one question regarding Newton's Method and it just doesn't make sense to me at all.
It is regarding a starting value x = 0.5 and a "tolerance". No examples in my notes or maths book ever have mentioned about tolerance so I'll just ask the question here.
NOTE: Do not do it for me, that defeats the purpose of my question, I want a step-by-step explanation on how the starting value and the tolerance would be introduced to this sort of question.

Question: f(x) = (x-2)3 = 0
Find the derivative of this function, then compute the roots of this equation using Newton's method.
starting value x =0.5
vary the tolerance from 10-3 to 10-13 reducing the tolerance by 10-1 each time
May be what it means is you have nth Xn approximate, starting from 10-3, 10-4 until 10-13
Tolerance means the extent of the value when the approximate became acceptable and it could be set arbitrarily by the user depending on the significance of the magnitude that is needed enough to impact a solution.

Ronie Bayron said:
May be what it means is you have nth Xn approximate, starting from 10-3, 10-4 until 10-13
Tolerance means the extent of the value when the approximate became acceptable and it could be set arbitrarily by the user depending on the significance of the magnitude that is needed enough to impact a solution.

So in other words, do Newton's Method as it is normally done and then with the value I get, round it up based on the tolerance? :)

King_Silver said:
So in other words, do Newton's Method as it is normally done and then with the value I get, round it up based on the tolerance? :)
eq0010MP.gif
Nope, hence, you have to iterate over and over again, that tolerance will be your condition that satisfies your approximate to stop.

Likes OTed
Ronie Bayron said:
eq0010MP.gif
Nope, hence, you have to iterate over and over again, that tolerance will be your condition that satisfies your approximate to stop.

Ok so, I take a value for Xn i.e. 3 for this example, which would mean 2- function/derivative of function = answer. In that circumstances where would the tolerance come into play? :/

Likes OTed
King_Silver said:
Ok so, I take a value for Xn i.e. 3 for this example, which would mean 2- function/derivative of function = answer. In that circumstances where would the tolerance come into play? :/
*Xn = 2 sorry

King_Silver said:
You would use your answer as new inputs until your answer magnitude would reach at 10-3 or 1/1000 scale

Likes OTed
Ronie Bayron said:
You would use your answer as new inputs until your answer magnitude would reach at 10-3 or 1/1000 scale
That makes perfect sense now :) thank you very much for that, much appreciated.

Likes OTed and Ronie Bayron
Your welcome:smile:

Likes King_Silver
Ronie Bayron said:
Your welcome:smile:
Ok I've attempted the sum and I want to make sure its going right. For initial value X0 =0.5 I plugged it into Newton's Method as follows
0.5 - ((0.5)-2)^3)/(3((0.5-2)^2) and got it = 1
I then used the value "1" and subbed it in for x for the next iteration and got 1.33333... then 1.5555... then 1.7037 then 1.802466667 and finally 1.868311111. Am I following the procedure correctly? do I just continue going down this path until the answer is within the scale of 1/1000 or 10-3? thanks in advance

King_Silver said:
Ok I've attempted the sum and I want to make sure its going right. For initial value X0 =0.5 I plugged it into Newton's Method as follows
I then used the value "1" and subbed it in for x for the next iteration and got 1.33333... then 1.5555... then 1.7037 then 1.802466667 and finally 1.868311111. Am I following the procedure correctly? do I just continue going down this path until the answer is within the scale of 1/1000 or 10-3? thanks in advance
Your answers are converging very slowly. The equation you're working with is ##(x - 2)^3 = 0##, so obviously the solution is x = 2. The reason that convergence is so slow is that the function involved (f(x = (x - 2)3) has a horizontal tangent at x = 2, which makes it difficult for Newton's method to produce results close to the actual solution very rapidly.

Likes Ronie Bayron
King_Silver said:
Yes.

Take note that Newton's Method is only an approximation tool out of several known methods available.
It fail somehow at certain conditions. You may see, further explanation on line (pls. click : Pauls online Notes)

Basic programming knowledge on Matlab, Turbo C++ or Java would help to solve your problems on lengthy iterations.

Last edited:

1. What is Newton's Method?

Newton's Method is an iterative algorithm used to find the roots or solutions of a differentiable function. It starts with an initial guess and then uses calculus to refine the guess until it is accurate to a desired level.

2. How does Newton's Method work?

Newton's Method works by using the slope of the function at a given point to estimate the location of the root. It then uses this estimate to find a new point on the function and repeats the process until the desired level of accuracy is reached.

3. What are the advantages of using Newton's Method?

One advantage of Newton's Method is that it can find solutions to a wide range of equations, including complex and transcendental functions. It also converges quickly to the root, making it an efficient method for finding solutions.

4. Are there any limitations to Newton's Method?

Yes, there are some limitations to Newton's Method. It requires the function to be differentiable and continuous, and it may fail to converge if the initial guess is not close enough to the root. It also cannot find multiple roots or roots that are not real numbers.

5. How is Newton's Method used in real-world applications?

Newton's Method is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to solve complex equations and optimize systems. It is also used in computer science for tasks such as finding the roots of polynomials and optimizing algorithms.