Inclined Plane Problem with Kinetic Friction

In summary, the conversation is discussing an attempt to find the force of friction using the coefficient of kinetic friction and the equation F=nukmgcos Ѳ. However, the result is incorrect and it is discovered that the diagram used is incorrect. The situation involves a horse pulling a 300kg sled at a constant speed over level snow.
physicsmaster11232
Homework Statement
A horse pulls a 300kg sled at constant speed over level snow by a rope that is 35 degrees above the horizontal. The coefficient of friction is 0.10. Find the force the horse exerts on the rope.
Relevant Equations
F = nukFn
f=ma
mgsin Ѳ= fx
mgcos Ѳ=fy
I tried to find the force of friction using the the coefficient of kinetic friction with the equation F=nukmgcos Ѳ. Then I made the force of friction equal to the force of pull. I don't know what I'm doing wrong as I'm getting the wrong answer. I have attached a picture of my work.

Attachments

• IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
Your diagram is wrong. (And your title.)
physicsmaster11232 said:
over level snow by a rope that is 35 degrees above the horizontal.
What is at 35 degrees?

The picture of your work is not oriented properly.

Both the title of your question and your diagram indicate you are using the physics applicable to an inclined plane. But the question states "A horse pulls a 300kg sled at constant speed over level snow"

1. What is an inclined plane problem with kinetic friction?

An inclined plane problem with kinetic friction is a physics problem that involves an object moving along an inclined plane while experiencing friction. This type of problem is commonly used to study the relationship between the angle of the incline, the coefficient of kinetic friction, and the acceleration of the object.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane with kinetic friction?

The acceleration of an object on an inclined plane with kinetic friction can be calculated using the formula: a = g(sinθ - μcosθ), where 'a' is the acceleration, 'g' is the acceleration due to gravity, 'θ' is the angle of the incline, and 'μ' is the coefficient of kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane with kinetic friction?

The acceleration of an object on an inclined plane with kinetic friction is affected by the angle of the incline, the coefficient of kinetic friction, and the mass of the object. A steeper incline, a higher coefficient of kinetic friction, and a heavier object will result in a greater acceleration.

4. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction affect the motion of an object on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of kinetic friction affects the motion of an object on an inclined plane by determining the amount of friction that is present. A higher coefficient of kinetic friction will result in a greater force of friction, which will slow down the object and decrease its acceleration. On the other hand, a lower coefficient of kinetic friction will result in less friction and a faster acceleration.

5. How can you use an inclined plane problem with kinetic friction to study real-world scenarios?

Inclined plane problems with kinetic friction are commonly used to study real-world scenarios, such as the motion of a car driving up a hill or a skier skiing down a slope. By understanding the relationship between the angle of the incline, the coefficient of kinetic friction, and the acceleration of the object, we can make predictions and calculations for these types of scenarios in the real world.