Question while I study Modern Quantum physics by Sakurai

In summary: Vectors in the ordinary sense" in the introduction to vector calculus.In summary, the position operator is a vector operator, loosely this means that it has components in each axis and its actions on a 3d position ket is
BREAD
In the book of Modern Quantum physics by Sakurai
upload_2017-3-3_22-33-37.png

I wonder how 1.6.26 can be 1.6.27.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I'll put hats on the operators (something that perhaps Sakurai ought to have thought about):

If you set ##\mathbf{dx'} = (dx_1, 0, 0)## then ##\mathbf{\hat{K}} \cdot \mathbf{dx'} = \hat{K_1} dx_1## and (1.6.26) becomes:

##-i \mathbf{\hat{x}}\hat{K_1} dx_1 + i\hat{K_1}\mathbf{\hat{x}}dx_1 = (dx_1, 0, 0)##

Where ##dx_1## is an "infinitesimal" number and can be cancelled, and ##\mathbf{\hat{x}} = (\hat{x_1}, \hat{x_2}, \hat{x_3})##; giving:

##-i (\hat{x_1}\hat{K_1} - \hat{K_1}\hat{x_1}, \ \hat{x_2}\hat{K_1} - \hat{K_1}\hat{x_2},\ \hat{x_3}\hat{K_1} - \hat{K_1}\hat{x_3}) = (1, 0, 0)##

Which gives the result for ##\hat{K_1}##. Repeat for ##\mathbf{dx'} = (0, dx_2, 0)## etc.

Likes vanhees71 and blue_leaf77
Thanks, @PeroK. Out of curiosity: How did you know ##{\bf x K} \cdot d{\bf x'}## was to be interpreted as ##{\bf x} \left ({\bf K} \cdot d{\bf x'} \right)## and not as ##\left ({\bf x K} \right ) \cdot d{\bf x'}## ?

BvU said:
Thanks, @PeroK. Out of curiosity: How did you know ##{\bf x K} \cdot d{\bf x'}## was to be interpreted as ##{\bf x} \left ({\bf K} \cdot d{\bf x'} \right)## and not as ##\left ({\bf x K} \right ) \cdot d{\bf x'}## ?

I looked at my notes and, unlike Sakurai, I tend to distinguish between operators and numbers/vectors. You have to do that at the beginning of the section/proof and keep track of it.

Likes vanhees71 and BvU
I suspect I am being dumb here, but I can't work out how this squares with the line

"dx' is understood to be the number dx' multiplied by the identity operator in the ket space spanned by lx'>"

the |x'> ket is earlier defined as follows

1646947938353.png

Surely this means that the dx' is present in y directions and z directions as well.

Or am I misunderstanding something fundamental?

The notation ##\mathbf x = (x,y,z)## is not uncommon.

Ah, hang on, may have worked out my confusion

When it says "dx' is understood to be the number dx' multiplied by the identity operator in the ket space spanned by lx'>"

Doesn't this mean that is is an operator which can be written as a 3x3 matrix of the form:

(dx,0,0)
(0,dx,0)
(0,0,dx)

which means if we select a particular vector like (1,0,0)t to multiply right, we get the equations you show?

dx is the vector dx=(dx,dy,dz), and $$\hat{\mathbf{K}}=(\hat{K}_{x},\hat{K}_{z},\hat{K}_{z})$$
such that
$$\hat{\mathbf{K}}\cdot d\mathbf{x}=\hat{K}_{x}dx+\hat{K}_{z}dy+\hat{K}_{z}dz$$

Likes PeroK and whyohwhy
So it sounds like what we are saying is that the following sentence is incorrect or at the very least misleading?

"dx' is understood to be the number dx' multiplied by the identity operator in the ket space spanned by lx'>"

either this or I am incorrect in viewing the identity operator in the ket space lx'> as:

(1,0,0)
(0,1,0)
(0,0,1)

or I am misunderstanding what is meant by "the number dx'" which I am interpreting to mean a scalar

when acting on kets (or bras), all numbers can be understood as the number multiplying the identity operator. For example
$$3:=3\hat{I}$$,
means
$$(3\hat{I})\left|A\right\rangle =3\left(\hat{I}\left|A\right\rangle \right)=3\left|A\right\rangle $$

whyohwhy said:
or I am misunderstanding what is meant by "the number dx'" which I am interpreting to mean a scalar

In here the word vector has two meanings. dx is a vector in the ordinary sense of vector calculus(more precisely, it's a differential form).

The other meaning of the word vectors refers to the elements belonging to the Hilbert space spanned by the kets $$\left|\mathbf{x}\right\rangle$$.

Likes PeroK and whyohwhy
Yes but a vector cannot be right? This is a vector times a identity operator?

andresB said:
In here the word vector has two meanings. dx is a vector in the ordinary sense of vector calculus(more precisely, it's a differential form).

The other meaning of the word vectors refers to the elements belonging to the Hilbert space spanned by the kets ##\left|\mathbf{x}\right\rangle## .
So this sounds like it could be right to me. But I don't get the distinction between elements belonging to Hilbert space and vectors in the ordinary sense. Looks like I have some more reading to do! Thanks so much

The position operator is a vector operator, loosely this means that it has components in each axis
$$\hat{\mathbf{X}}=\hat{x}\mathbf{i}+\hat{y}\mathbf{j}+\hat{z}\mathbf{k}$$
its actions on a 3d position ket is
$$\hat{\mathbf{X}}\left|\mathbf{x}\right\rangle =\left(x\mathbf{i}+y\mathbf{j}+z\mathbf{k}\right)\left|\mathbf{x}\right\rangle $$

Likes whyohwhy
whyohwhy said:
So this sounds like it could be right to me. But I don't get the distinction between elements belonging to Hilbert space and vectors in the ordinary sense. Looks like I have some more reading to do! Thanks so much
I recommend you to first get used to the derivation of the commutation relations with the translation operator for the 1d case (1 spatial dimension, the Hilbert space of square-integrable functions is still infinite-dimensional).

andresB said:
The position operator is a vector operator, loosely this means that it has components in each axis
$$\hat{\mathbf{X}}=\hat{x}\mathbf{i}+\hat{y}\mathbf{j}+\hat{z}\mathbf{k}$$
its actions on a 3d position ket is
$$\hat{\mathbf{X}}\left|\mathbf{x}\right\rangle =\left(x\mathbf{i}+y\mathbf{j}+z\mathbf{k}\right)\left|\mathbf{x}\right\rangle $$
Ah! This makes sense! But isn't mentioned in the textbook up to this point. Or at least not explicitly.

whyohwhy said:
Ah! This makes sense! But isn't mentioned in the textbook up to this point. Or at least not explicitly.
The 3d vector notation is unusual, generally speaking, books write the action of each component individually

$$\hat{x}\left|\mathbf{x}\right\rangle =x\left|\mathbf{x}\right\rangle ,\;\hat{y}\left|\mathbf{x}\right\rangle =y\left|\mathbf{x}\right\rangle ,\;\hat{z}\left|\mathbf{x}\right\rangle =z\left|\mathbf{x}\right\rangle $$

Likes whyohwhy

1. What is Modern Quantum physics?

Modern Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles on a quantum level. It is a fundamental theory that explains the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is also known as quantum mechanics or quantum physics.

2. Who is Sakurai?

Sakurai is a renowned Japanese physicist who made significant contributions to the field of quantum mechanics. His full name is Jun John Sakurai, and he is best known for his textbook "Modern Quantum Mechanics," which is widely used in universities around the world.

3. What are some key concepts in Modern Quantum physics?

Some key concepts in Modern Quantum physics include wave-particle duality, quantization of energy, uncertainty principle, superposition, and entanglement. These concepts help to explain the behavior of particles and their interactions on a quantum level.

4. How is Modern Quantum physics different from classical physics?

Modern Quantum physics differs from classical physics in that it describes the behavior of particles in terms of probabilities rather than definite values. It also takes into account the wave-like nature of particles and allows for phenomena such as superposition and entanglement, which are not observed in classical physics.

5. Why is Modern Quantum physics important?

Modern Quantum physics is important because it provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and helps to explain the behavior of matter and energy on a microscopic scale. It also has practical applications in various fields, such as electronics, computing, and cryptography.