Probability flux integrated over all space is mean momentum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between probability flux and mean momentum in Sakurai Modern Quantum Mechanics. The expectation value of momentum is obtained through an integral involving the operator for momentum and a partial integration trick. This leads to the equation (2.192) in the book. The conversation concludes with the speaker expressing gratitude for the explanation and acknowledging that they had missed the integration by parts trick.
euphoricrhino
In Sakurai Modern Quantum Mechanics, I came across a statement which says probabiliy flux integrated over all space is just the mean momentum (eq 2.192 below). I was wondering if anybody can help me explain how this is obtained.
I can see that ##i\hbar\nabla## is taken as the ##\mathbf{p}## operator, but I don't see how the integration gives the mean of ##\mathbf{p}##.
Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 15.28.15.png

Likes gentzen
Physics news on Phys.org
The expectation value of the momentum is
$$\langle \vec{p} \rangle = \langle \psi|\hat{\vec{p}}|\psi \rangle = \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 x \psi^*(t,\vec{x}) (-\mathrm{i} \hbar \vec{\nabla}) \psi(t,\vec{x}).$$
Now you can add the same expression with the ##\nabla## put to ##\psi^*## by partial integration and divide by 2:
$$\langle \vec{p} \rangle = \frac{1}{2} \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 x (-\mathrm{i} \hbar) [\psi^*(t,\vec{x}) \vec{\nabla} \psi(t,\vec{x}) - \psi(t,\vec{x}) \vec{\nabla} \psi^*(t,\vec{x})].$$
Comparing this with Eq. (2.191) of the book you get immediately Eq. (2.192).

Likes Lord Jestocost, gentzen, PeroK and 1 other person
Great, thanks a lot.
I missed the integration by part trick. This is awesome!

1. What is probability flux integrated over all space?

Probability flux integrated over all space is a mathematical concept used to describe the flow of probability in a system. It is calculated by integrating the probability density function over all space and represents the total amount of probability in the system.

2. How is probability flux related to momentum?

In quantum mechanics, probability flux is directly related to momentum. This is because the probability density function is used to describe the probability of finding a particle at a certain position, and the momentum operator is used to describe the probability of finding a particle with a certain momentum. Therefore, the probability flux integrated over all space is equal to the mean momentum of the system.

3. What does it mean to integrate over all space?

Integrating over all space means to consider the entire spatial extent of a system. In the context of probability flux, it involves calculating the probability density function at every point in space and then summing up all these values to get the total probability in the system.

4. How is probability flux integrated over all space calculated?

To calculate probability flux integrated over all space, the probability density function is first determined for the system. Then, this function is integrated over the entire spatial extent of the system using mathematical techniques such as integration by parts or the use of special functions like the gamma function.

5. What is the significance of mean momentum in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, mean momentum is a measure of the average momentum of a system. It is directly related to the probability flux integrated over all space and provides important information about the behavior of particles in a system. Mean momentum is also used in the calculation of other important quantities such as the uncertainty in momentum and the kinetic energy of a particle.