Questions about e=mc2 and probably other equations

• Thread starter AviiNL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E=mc2
In summary, the equation e=mc2 can be used to calculate energy, where e represents energy, m represents mass in kilograms, and c represents the speed of light in meters per second. To find the unit of energy, you need to multiply the units of mass and distance, and then square the unit of time. The resulting unit is called Joule.
AviiNL
Hello,

So, I was wondering something about the units used with other units in a equation like e=mc2

For example;

m = 1.67x10^24 grams
c = 292.792.458 m/s

that makes e about 1.437x10^-8
but what is the unit used to represent e in this context?
and what if I used kg in m and km/s in c, what would the unit for e be then?

An explanation would be really appreciated.

Side note:
I just started to get an interest in physics like 2 weeks ago,
and never had any prior education in school or whatever about these sort of things.
nor had any education in maths used with most physics equations (algebra and stuff)
I really find it all very interesting, seen various coursed on youtube by Walter Lewin from MIT, and other channels like Sixty Symbols, veritasium1 and numberphile (and others)

Kind regards and thanks for reading,
AviiNL

Physics news on Phys.org
AviiNL said:
Hello,

So, I was wondering something about the units used with other units in a equation like e=mc2

For example;

m = 1.67x10^24 grams
c = 292.792.458 m/s

Side note:
and never had any prior education in school or whatever about these sort of things.
nor had any education in maths used with most physics equations (algebra and stuff)
I really find it all very interesting, seen various coursed on youtube by Walter Lewin from MIT, and other channels like Sixty Symbols, veritasium1 and numberphile (and others)

AviiNL

For one thing the equation is correctly written ##e=m c^2## or e=mc^2. And the value your for e given m and c is WAY OFF. Finally, kg*m^2/s^2 is a unit of energy called a Joule. Other combinations like g*m^2/s^2 or kg*km^2/s^2 don't have names. If you are given other units, I'd convert them to kg, m and s first.

Last edited:
AviiNL said:
Hello,

For example;

m = 1.67x10^24 grams
c = 292.792.458 m/s

Side note:

AviiNL

Not only do you multiply the numerical values, you also multiply the units just as though they were algebraic objects. So, c^2 has units m^2/s^2, hence E = m c^2 has units
kg m^2/sec^2; this is also called the Joule and is denoted as J. (Unfortunately, the symbol 'm' for mass is the same as 'm' for meter, and that can cause confusion; that is why sometimes we write out the word 'meter' or 'metre' in full.) Note that I used 'E' instead of 'e', because that is more usual in Physics (E = energy, e = magnitude of electron charge, or base of natural logarithms).

Last edited:
Stick to (or convert to) SI units:
kg for mass
m for distance
s for time

Then you find that all the equations give you the SI unit for whatever, and you can look that up on Wikipedia.

Dick said:
For one thing the equation is correctly written ##e=m c^2## or e=mc^2. And value your for e given m and c is WAY OFF. Finally, kg*m^2/s^2 is a unit of energy called a Joule. Other combinations like g*m^2/s^2 or kg*km^2/s^2 don't have names. If you are given other units, I'd convert them to kg, m and s first.

Wow,
That confused me even more just now.

What I get is; use Meters in combination with kilograms to get energy as Joules
What I don't get is; km^2/s^2, as km/s is a short representation of kilometers per second, right? 1 seconds squared would still be 1 right?

So, to calculate E with the numbers given above should be like
m = 1.67x10^-27 kg (i think?)
c = 292.792.458 m/s (is still meters per second)
then E = (1.67x10^-27)*(292,792,458^2) = 1.431x10^-10 J

Am I going the right way with this now?

Thanks for the replies :)

AviiNL said:
Wow,

What I don't get is; km^2/s^2, as km/s is a short representation of kilometers per second, right? 1 seconds squared would still be 1 right?

The calculation looks right now. Yes, 1.67x10^(-24)g=1.67x10^(-27)kg. You didn't have the minus sign on the exponent in the original post. That's why I thought it was so far off.

Ah lol indeed, i forgot to put the minus sign in the first post, my bad :p
Thanks for clearing this up :)
Now I can sleep without this swarming through my brain lol :p

AviiNL said:
Wow,

Numerically, it's 1, but the units would be sec2.
AviiNL said:

Lewin's videos are for people who have already taken calculus so those may not be the best ones out there. You might just want to look for some conceptual videos.

Also I wouldn't start with trying to understand Einstein if you're completely new to physics. Go back to Newtonian physics and progress from there if you want a deeper understanding of physics.

Dick said:
Finally, kg*m^2/s^2 is a unit of energy called a Joule. Other combinations like g*m^2/s^2 or kg*km^2/s^2 don't have names. If you are given other units, I'd convert them to kg, m and s first.

The CGS unit of energy, 1 g*m^2/s^2 , is called an erg. For historical reasons, most astronomers and astrophysicists use ergs instead of Joules. 1 Joule = 10^7 ergs.

I actually find Lewings lectures quite easy to understand, and his lectures got me started in physics :)
But the reason for this thread was not to understand einsteins e=mc^2, but more about the actual maths behind it, and it actually got a lot more clear to me now :)

AviiNL said:
I actually find Lewings lectures quite easy to understand, and his lectures got me started in physics :)
But the reason for this thread was not to understand einsteins e=mc^2, but more about the actual maths behind it, and it actually got a lot more clear to me now :)

You may find it hard t comprehend units like "per second squared" but you can think of it like "per second per second."

If Chevrolet says their new Corvette goes 0 m/s to 20 m/s in 4 seconds, that is an acceleration of 5 meters per second per second or 5 meters per second squared. This is kind of irrelevant but I hope you get the meaning of some of these units.

phyzguy said:
dick said:
Finally, kg*m^2/s^2 is a unit of energy called a Joule. Other combinations like g*m^2/s^2 or kg*km^2/s^2 don't have names. If you are given other units, I'd convert them to kg, m and s first.
The CGS unit of energy, 1 g*m^2/s^2 , is called an erg. For historical reasons, most astronomers and astrophysicists use ergs instead of Joules. 1 Joule = 10^7 ergs.

An erg is 1 g*cm^2/s^2.

Jimmy said:
An erg is 1 g*cm^2/s^2.

My mistake. Thanks for the correction.

AviiNL said:
Hello,

For example;

m = 1.67x10^24 grams
c = 292.792.458 m/s
You are going to confuse yourself as well as others if you "mix" numerical notations. The United States, England and about half of the world use "." to separate the integer part of the number from the fraction part and "," to separate groups of thousands. That is the notation you use in "m= 1.67 x10^24 grams". Most of Europe and the other half of the world reverse those. That is the notatation you use in "c= 292.792.458 m/s".

Use either
m= 1.67 x 10^24 grams
c= 292,792,458 m/s

or
m= 1,67 x 10^24 g
c= 292.792.458 m/s

But not both!

No, it doesn't. Without checking the actual arithmetic, m and c both has positive powers of 10 so their product cannot have a negative power of ten.

In this contex "gram-meters squared per seconds squared" which does not have a standard name because it mixes "MKS" and "gms" systems. (You keep doing that!)[/quote]

That would make more sense. You are now working completely in the "MKS" (meter-kilogram-second) system. Then e would be in "kilogram-meters squared per second squared" which is called "Joules".

If you measured mass in grams and speed in centimeters per second, you would be working in the "cgs" (centimeter-gram-second) system. Then e would be in "gram-centimeters squared per second squared" which is called "ergs".

Side note:

AviiNL

1. What does the equation e=mc2 mean?

The equation e=mc2 is known as the mass-energy equivalence equation, which means that mass and energy are interchangeable and are related to each other by the speed of light squared.

2. Who discovered the equation e=mc2?

The equation e=mc2 was first proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 in his theory of special relativity. However, the full equation was not published until 1907.

3. How is the equation e=mc2 used in everyday life?

The equation e=mc2 is used in everyday life in various ways. It is the basis for nuclear energy and the development of nuclear weapons. It is also used in medical applications such as PET scans and in the production of energy in nuclear power plants.

4. Can the equation e=mc2 be proven?

The equation e=mc2 is a fundamental principle in physics and has been extensively tested through various experiments and observations. While it cannot be proven in the traditional sense, its predictions have been consistently accurate and it is considered a cornerstone of modern physics.

5. Are there other equations similar to e=mc2?

There are other equations that relate to the concept of mass-energy equivalence, such as E=hf (energy equals Planck's constant multiplied by frequency) and E=mc2/√(1-v2/c2) (energy equals mass divided by the square root of 1 minus velocity squared over the speed of light squared). However, these equations are more specific and do not have the same broad applications as e=mc2.