Questions about EMP Effects in Spacecraft

• Thread starter Phil_B
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to accurately portray a limited nuclear exchange in space in their science fiction story. They ask about the potential for EMP in a spacecraft and the effects it would have on people and equipment. They also inquire about how to protect against EMP, such as disconnecting long wires and using a Faraday box.
Phil_B
Hi everyone,

I’m a wannabe scribbler of Science Fiction trying to get things right in a story I’m working on...so I thought the best idea was to come and ask the experts and those who know far more than I ever will in a place such as here.

Ok I’m now done with the flattery, but it will hopefully get me somewhere ;-)

Basically I’m working with a limited nuclear exchange in space. Is there likely to be enough air in a spacecraft for enough of a Compton Effect to produce a significant EMP or am I looking at needing a planetary volumes of atmosphere to produce anything approaching destructive levels.

Secondly, with a nuclear produced EMP am I looking at any noticeable effects for those living within such a tin can, other than the destruction of electrical equipment? Are there going to be people electrocuted, because they were in contact with metal surfaces when the blast occurred, would someone who was not touching any surfaces be carrying a charge after the blast or would the limited volumes of atmosphere mean a rapid return to equilibrium?

Last one... other than the pulse directly fed into a system via antenna and communication dishes, I know that if there is an EMP I’m looking at problems caused by induced currents in long wires due to the low frequencies, gaps in electronic casings acting as wave guides for the higher frequencies. Is protection as simple as disconnecting long wires and having more sensitive electrical equipment in a sealed tin box (though insulated from the box itself)? Would this 'Faraday box(?)' have to be earthed?

Thanks very much,

Phil

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not the air, per se, that causes EMP. There are two requirements for EMP: (1) the existence Compton electrons and (2) a gradient in Compton electrons on the scale of the range of the the photons. E.g. you would have no EMP in a perfectly uniform atmosphere (given a symmetric explosion) because there would be no dipole moment to the charge distribution.

Hello Phil,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your questions about EMP effects in spacecraft. I am happy to help you with your research for your Science Fiction story.

Firstly, regarding the Compton Effect and its potential to produce a significant EMP in a spacecraft, it is important to note that the amount of air in a spacecraft is significantly less than that of a planetary atmosphere. Therefore, the effects of the Compton Effect in a spacecraft would be limited and would not be as destructive as it would be on a planetary scale. However, it is still possible for an EMP to occur in a spacecraft due to the interaction of high-energy particles with the spacecraft's electronics.

In terms of the effects on individuals within the spacecraft, it is unlikely that anyone would be electrocuted unless they were in direct contact with a metal surface that was affected by the EMP. The limited volume of atmosphere in a spacecraft would also result in a rapid return to equilibrium, minimizing the effects of the EMP on individuals.

As for protection against EMP, using a Faraday box or a sealed tin box with insulated electrical equipment would be a good start. It is also important to note that grounding the box is not necessary as long as the box is completely sealed. However, for added protection, grounding the box may be recommended.

I hope this helps clarify some of your questions. Please let me know if you have any further inquiries. Best of luck with your story!

1. What is an EMP and how does it affect spacecraft?

An EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) is a burst of electromagnetic radiation that can be caused by natural phenomena, such as lightning, or human-made events, such as nuclear explosions. In space, EMPs can be caused by solar flares or high-altitude nuclear explosions. EMPs can affect spacecraft by damaging or disrupting their electronic systems, potentially causing malfunctions or even complete failure.

2. What types of spacecraft are most vulnerable to EMPs?

Spacecraft with large antennas or long conductive structures, such as satellites or space stations, are most vulnerable to EMPs. This is because these structures act as antennas, amplifying the effects of the EMP. However, even smaller spacecraft, such as space shuttles or capsules, can be affected by EMPs if they are within the range of the pulse.

3. How can spacecraft be protected from EMPs?

There are several measures that can be taken to protect spacecraft from EMPs. One method is to use shielding materials, such as metal or carbon fiber, to create a Faraday cage around the spacecraft's electronic components. Additionally, electronic systems can be hardened and designed to withstand EMPs. Another approach is to have a backup system in place that can be activated in case of EMP damage to the primary system.

4. Can astronauts be affected by EMPs in space?

Yes, astronauts can be affected by EMPs in space. However, the effects on humans are not as severe as on electronic systems. Astronauts may experience temporary disruptions in communication or navigation systems, but they are not at risk of physical harm from EMPs.

5. Are there any current measures in place to protect spacecraft from EMPs?

Yes, spacecraft are typically designed and tested to withstand EMPs to a certain degree. Additionally, space agencies and governments have protocols in place to monitor and mitigate the effects of natural and human-made EMPs on spacecraft. However, as technology advances and the threat of EMPs increases, there is ongoing research and development to improve spacecraft protection against EMPs.