Questions about FLRW Metric: Finiteness, Radial Coord & More

• Thread starter Mishra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the FLRW metric reads: "##dl²=dt²-a²(\frac{dR²}{1-kR²}+R²d\Omega²)## where ##a## is the radius of the 3-sphere (universe), and ##R=r/a## a normalized radial coord." The metric changes its signature when ##k=+1##, but this doesn't make sense in GR. When ##k=−1##, ##r## can take an arbitrary value. This means the radial coord. can be bigger than the radius of the universe.
Mishra
Hello,

I have two questions regarding the FLRW metric, it is more about its interpretation.

The metric reads:

##dl²=dt²-a²(\frac{dR²}{1-kR²}+R²d\Omega²)## where ##a## is the radius of the 3-sphere (universe), and ##R=r/a## a normalized radial coord.

What I don't understand is this statement: "##k=+1## then the universe is closed".
I understand that when ##k=+1## then if ##R>1## the metric changes its signature which does not make sense in GR. Therefore ##R<1## if ##k=+1##.

My question is then:
If ##R=r/a##, then ##R<1## means that ##r<a##. Which just means you just don't observe things outside the universe of radius ##a##. I don't see why the radius of the universe ##a## could not be infinite.

The same problem the other way around: When ##k=-1##, ##r## can take an arbitrary value. Meaning it can be bigger than ##a##. How can the radial coord be bigger than the radius of the universe ?

How does the radial coord. tells us anything about the finiteness of the universe?

Also that FLRW metric seems like a huge regression from the Schwarchild's metric which has been built to keep the signature. Why not just use the Schwarchild's metric or something more general like a simple spherical metric (which is used to find the Schwarchild's metric) ?

I am obviously missing something. Maybe the
Schwarchild's metric does not fit the problems addressed by Friedmann and Lemaître but I don't see how...

Thank you and have a great weekend!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mishra said:
where ##a## is the radius of the 3-sphere (universe)

Only in the ##k = 1## case. For the ##k = 0## and ##k = -1## cases, the universe is spatially infinite, so the scale factor ##a## does not have the same straightforward interpretation.

Mishra said:
I don't see why the radius of the universe ##a## could not be infinite.

Because if it were, the line element would be undefined (an infinite value ##a## would be multiplying the entire spatial part).

Mishra said:
When ##k=-1##, ##r## can take an arbitrary value. Meaning it can be bigger than ##a##. How can the radial coord be bigger than the radius of the universe

In the ##k = -1## or ##k = 0## case, the universe is spatially infinite, and ##a## is not "the radius of the universe". See above.

Mishra said:
Also that FLRW metric seems like a huge regression from the Schwarchild's metric which has been built to keep the signature.

This is confused in at least two ways. First, the FLRW metric and the Schwarzschild metric have nothing to do with each other; they are two different solutions to the Einstein Field Equation, which model two different physical situations--the FLRW metric models an expanding universe, and the Schwarzschild metric models the vacuum spacetime around a single isolated gravitating body which is static (i.e., nothing changes with time). There's no point in trying to compare the two, since they're modeling two different scenarios.

Second, it is not really correct to say that the Schwarzschild metric is "built to keep the signature". Any metric in GR must have a Lorentzian signature. Sometimes that means you have to impose constraints on the ranges of coordinates (as in the case of ##R## in the FLRW metric as you have written it), but that's because of the way the coordinates are defined; it has nothing to do with the intrinsic properties of the metric.

Mishra said:
If ##R=r/a##, then ##R<1##. Which just means you just don't observe things outside the universe of radius ##a##.

No, it means that the universe does not exist outside of radius ##a##; that is, the universe has a finite volume. But this finite volume is unbounded; it is a 3-sphere, just as the surface of the Earth is a 2-sphere, a finite area but unbounded--no edge.

Thanks for you answers!
PeterDonis said:
This is confused in at least two ways. First, the FLRW metric and the Schwarzschild metric have nothing to do with each other; they are two different solutions to the Einstein Field Equation, which model two different physical situations--the FLRW metric models an expanding universe, and the Schwarzschild metric models the vacuum spacetime around a single isolated gravitating body which is static (i.e., nothing changes with time). There's no point in trying to compare the two, since they're modeling two different scenarios.

Got it, it was stupid of me, they indeed have nothing in common! It also seems that the Schw. metric is not homogenous and isotropic. I'll investigate more...
PeterDonis said:
Only in the k=1k = 1 case. For the k=0k = 0 and k=−1k = -1 cases, the universe is spatially infinite, so the scale factor aa does not have the same straightforward interpretation.

Well this solves all the problems. But I don't get it. What is ##a## then ? In my notes it is defined as the radius of the 3-sphere. How is it not the radius of the universe?

Mishra said:
It also seems that the Schw. metric is not homogenous and isotropic.

Correct. It is spherically symmetric, but that's all.

Mishra said:
What is ##a## then ? In my notes it is defined as the radius of the 3-sphere.

That's true for the ##k = 1## case. It is not true for the ##k = 0## or ##k = -1## cases, because the universe is not spatially a 3-sphere in those cases; it is spatially infinite. The scale factor ##a## in these cases is simply a measure of "how much the universe has expanded", heuristically speaking; it converts coordinate distances (in terms of what you are calling ##R##) into proper distances (in terms of what you are calling ##r##) at a given instant of coordinate time. That still has meaning even if the universe is spatially infinite.

Q1: What is the FLRW metric?

The FLRW metric is a mathematical framework used to describe the geometry of the universe. It is based on the concept of a homogeneous and isotropic universe, meaning that at any given point in time, the universe looks the same in all directions and has the same density. The metric is named after the scientists who first proposed it: Friedmann, Lemaître, Robertson, and Walker.

Q2: Is the FLRW metric finite or infinite?

The FLRW metric is considered to be infinite, meaning that it has no boundaries or edges. This is due to the assumption of homogeneity, which implies that the universe is the same at all points, and therefore has no defined edges or boundaries.

Q3: What is the radial coordinate in the FLRW metric?

The radial coordinate, also known as the comoving coordinate, is one of the coordinates used in the FLRW metric to describe the position of a point in space. It measures the distance from a given point to the center of the universe, and is used to describe the expansion of the universe.

Q4: How does the FLRW metric account for the expansion of the universe?

The FLRW metric takes into account the expansion of the universe through the use of the scale factor, which represents the change in the size of the universe over time. As the universe expands, the scale factor increases, leading to a larger overall size of the universe.

Q5: What are some applications of the FLRW metric?

The FLRW metric is used in many different fields, such as cosmology, astrophysics, and general relativity. It is used to study the evolution of the universe, the distribution of matter and energy, and the behavior of particles in the early universe. It also provides a framework for understanding the large-scale structure of the universe and the effects of dark energy and dark matter.