Questions about muriatic acid and hypochlorite sodium

In summary: Yes, concentration of chloride ions speed up metal corrosion. But that's the least of your worries. Try to stay alive.
gamer87
TL;DR Summary
question
is muriatic acid the same as hydrochloric acid?

here in Brazil in markets it sells muriatic acid and disinfectant sodium hypochlorite active chlorine 2.5%

if someone uses these two products if they are stopped for cleaning the bathroom when the bottles are open they evaporate it travels all over the house and goes down and deposits on metal electronic boards and DVD discs, starting the corrosion and destruction of them?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Muriatic acid is another name for hydrochloric acid.

It sounds like you are mixing bleach solution with acid. Do not do that. Period. It releases chlorine gas which is very toxic. It can damage you and other living things in all kinds of nasty ways.

And bottles left open are bad idea. HCl can out gas toxic fumes. I'd worry more about people and pets than computer hardware. Especially in a small room. Answer to your question: HCl fumes can damage metal surfaces.

Since all of this does not sound so great to me:

https://www.msdsonline.com/2014/09/10/hydrochloric-acid-hazards-safety-tips/

This is incredibly worrying. Do not mix acid with the sodium hypochlorite solution at all. Definitely do not leave any of these substances open in the air, the fumes are dangerous enough to kill you.

As for your question, yes, concentration of chloride ions speed up metal corrosion. But that's the least of your worries. Try to stay alive.edit: someone beat me to it ahh

I didn’t mix them, I used them separately on alternate days or the same day so my concern is whether at the time of their use their evaporation spread through the house, went down and deposited on the electronic devices and on my DVD discs, starting the corrosion of the electronics and penetrating the dvd's polycarbonate, glue and reaching the metallic inner layer

How long did you keep that bottle open?

I heavily doubt your house's air movement is so violent that it spread through the entire house. It probably stayed in the bathroom, and anything that diffused around the house is probably not enough to do anything from a regular cleaning session.

As far as I know this isn't a common problem in the world of cleaning, and both those substances are used regularly in the presence of electronics.

Did you do anything crazy with either of them? Use an insane amount? Why are you so concerned?

clean bathroom 30 minutes

You left the bottle open for 30 minutes? Why?

You're meant to mix it with water and then use that instead, at a lower concentration. I doubt its anything to worry about, but keep that in mind for the future.

I don't know the true concentration of HCL in acid muriatic some say 10% others say 33% the other product has 2.5% active chlorine I also don't know if the concentration has an influence on the vapor spreading through the house and causing the damage I mentioned

Ícone Verificada pela comunidade

Wait, so was damaged caused? This actually happened?

Also, most muriatic acid sold is about 20-30%. And yes, concentration has a very strong influence on vapor spreading. You should certainly dilute your cleaning products.

10% hcl?? risks?

1. What is the difference between muriatic acid and hypochlorite sodium?

Muriatic acid, also known as hydrochloric acid, is a strong, corrosive acid commonly used for cleaning and industrial purposes. Hypochlorite sodium, also known as bleach, is a chemical compound used as a disinfectant and bleach. The main difference between the two is their chemical composition and intended use.

2. Is muriatic acid or hypochlorite sodium more dangerous?

Both muriatic acid and hypochlorite sodium can be dangerous if not handled properly. Muriatic acid is highly corrosive and can cause severe burns if it comes into contact with skin or eyes. Hypochlorite sodium, on the other hand, can release toxic fumes if mixed with other chemicals, such as ammonia. It is important to always follow safety precautions and handle both substances with care.

3. Can muriatic acid and hypochlorite sodium be used together?

No, muriatic acid and hypochlorite sodium should never be mixed together. When combined, they can create a toxic gas called chlorine gas, which can be harmful to humans and animals. It is important to always keep these two substances separate and use them in well-ventilated areas.

4. What are the uses of muriatic acid and hypochlorite sodium?

Muriatic acid is commonly used for cleaning and removing stains from surfaces such as concrete, metal, and tiles. It is also used in industrial processes, such as pickling and metal cleaning. Hypochlorite sodium is primarily used as a disinfectant and bleach for household and industrial purposes. It is commonly used for cleaning and sanitizing surfaces, as well as in laundry and pool maintenance.

5. Are muriatic acid and hypochlorite sodium safe for the environment?

Both muriatic acid and hypochlorite sodium can have harmful effects on the environment if not disposed of properly. Muriatic acid can be corrosive to soil and water, while hypochlorite sodium can be toxic to aquatic life. It is important to follow proper disposal methods and avoid releasing these substances into the environment.