Questions about (potential) variations in the Fine Structure Constant

In summary: However, it's hard to observe such a thing, as it would require a very strong gravitational field and we would never see anything that we couldn't explain in terms of classical physics.This is an interesting point. It's possible that our current understanding of the laws of physics might not allow for variations, but that might change in the future.In summary, variations in the fine structure constant are generally supported, but they are difficult to measure and would require a very strong gravitational field to be detectable.
Lino
I have read an amount of material on (potential) variations in the Fine Structure Constant. The majority of the material seems cautiously positive in declaring support for the potential variations, but I have a couple of question that you may be able to help me with.

1) Am I correct is believing that the possibility of variation in the constant over the evolution of the universe is generally supported? If anyone can point me at articles that look unfavourably at this possibility, I would appreciate it so that I can have a balanced view (I think that everything that I have read is broadly supportive).

2) From what I understand, the primary evidence is based on the absorption lines associated with Magnesium (and associated isotopes). Why was / is Magnesium the element used?

Thanks for all you help.

Regards,

Noel.

Space news on Phys.org
Thanks Naty1. That was very helpful, and the references (especially 41 & 42) are just what I was looking for. I knew that no matter what I found I would need to do more reading on this... but everything I was reading seemed so supportive - I knew that there had to be more questioning material outthere but just wasn't finding it!

Thanks again.

Regards,

Noel.

I'd just like to point out that this result is largely considered to still be rather unlikely. It is prudent to continue to consider it unlikely until we get an independent measurement of the same result, using a different sort of evidence.

Thanks Chalnoth. Understood and agreed (which is why I was surprised that all of the material I was reading seemed broadly supportive, with little questioning / challanging).

Regards,

Noel.

I would have thought this is an incredibly profound result if confirmed. I am wondering does anyone know if there are any other teams trying to replicate the results?

It is likely that there are. However, I don't know any specific one.

Am I correct is believing that the possibility of variation in the constant over the evolution of the universe is generally supported?
The current laws of physics don't allow variations, but that has a simple reason: We didn't see any variation so far, and the laws were constructed to reflect this.
Time- and space-dependent variations can be a bit tricky as there is no universal flat spacetime. However, if variations are measured, I am sure it is somehow possible to include them into the theories.

mfb said:
It is likely that there are. However, I don't know any specific one.

The current laws of physics don't allow variations, but that has a simple reason: We didn't see any variation so far, and the laws were constructed to reflect this.
Time- and space-dependent variations can be a bit tricky as there is no universal flat spacetime. However, if variations are measured, I am sure it is somehow possible to include them into the theories.
As I understand it, the way this game is played is that a scalar field is proposed which couples with the interaction term, and the dynamics of that scalar field determine how the interaction in question changes with time and space. For example, it's possible to write down a scalar field which makes it so that the electromagnetic force is slightly stronger in strong gravitational fields.

What is the Fine Structure Constant and why is it important?

The Fine Structure Constant, denoted by the symbol α, is a dimensionless physical constant that describes the strength of the electromagnetic interaction between elementary particles. It is one of the fundamental constants of nature and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.

Has the Fine Structure Constant always had the same value?

There is no concrete evidence to suggest that the Fine Structure Constant has changed over time. However, some theories suggest that it may have varied in the early stages of the universe's formation.

What is the current accepted value of the Fine Structure Constant?

The current accepted value of the Fine Structure Constant is approximately 1/137. This value has been determined through various experiments and is considered to be one of the most accurately measured physical constants.

Are there any proposed explanations for potential variations in the Fine Structure Constant?

Some scientists have proposed theories such as the Multiverse theory and the Grand Unification Theory to explain potential variations in the Fine Structure Constant. However, these are still speculative and have not been proven.

How do variations in the Fine Structure Constant affect our understanding of the laws of physics?

If the Fine Structure Constant were to vary significantly, it would challenge our current understanding of the laws of physics. It could potentially lead to the need for new theories and a reassessment of our understanding of the universe.