Questions about Schrödinger's Equation: Help Needed!

In summary, the Schrödinger's equation for the hydrogen atom has discrete solutions for energy levels due to the standing wave patterns of the electron, which are continuous in time and space. These solutions can be found through mathematical techniques and correspond to stable orbits for the electron. The discreteness of the eigenvalues can be explained by the requirement of integer wavelengths for standing waves to fit into the system.
Lindsayyyy
Hi everyone

I have to questions which I don't have an answer to:

1. the solution for the Schrödinger's equation are continuous (for time as well as for the location). But why do I get discrete values for the energies for example (let's say in hydrogen) ?

2. Is there a spherical harmonic where the probabilty is unequal to zero when |r|=0 ? (probabilty to be in the core of the atom)

to
1. I'm not sure but my guess would be it has to do with Bohrs postulates. The electron is a standing wave in order not to crash into the core, so that's why we have discrete values.

2. I'd say no, but I can't argue against it. I mean maybe there's a difference between the maths and the intuition.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. The hydrogen atom (in the absense of an external potential) has a potential which doesn't depend on time. It's just the coulomb attraction between the electron and the proton (and you can make things easy by transforming your viewpoint to the centre of mass reference frame).

As it is time-independent, the schroedinger equation can be separated (à la separation of variables - mathematic technique that you should know) into time dependent parts and time independent parts.

The time-independent SE just reads Ĥψ(x,y,z) = Eψ(x,y,z) i.e. it asks you to find the eigenstates and eigenvalues of the hamiltonian operator.

This is "just" mathematics and the solutions can be found in pretty much any book on QM. For negative values of E (i.e. bound states), the eigenvalues are discrete (i.e. non-continuous). It is essentially your typical "particle in a box" type mathematics.

2. The "first" (if I may call it so) solution, with n=1, l=0, m=0, has a non-zero value at r=0. It exponentially decays away from the centre.

To question 1: the solutons of the schrödinger equation corresponding to the energy levels of an atom are supposed to be solutions that are constant (except a phase factor) over time (== eigenfunctions of the hamiltonian). That's intuitive i guess, because they are supposed to be "stable orbits".
For electrons bound in a potential, the eigenfunctions are always some kind of standing wave and those have discrete eigenvalues. In this case it is basically the standing wave around the atom. For large eigenvalues however, the spectrum should turn continous, because then we have free electrons (ie plane waves, which can take on any frequency and thus energy).
I think the Bohr postulates actually can be explained by this, not the other way round.

(Continous equations often have discrete eigenvalues, take for example waveguide or cavity modes in optics.)

thanks for your help thus far.
I've seen the solution for the Schrödinger equation for the hydrogen atom. And I see that I get discrete solutions, but it's still not physically clear to me why I have a continious wave function but discrete eigenvalues. How can I describe that more on the physical side rather than on the math side, if you know what I mean.

Lindsayyyy said:
And I see that I get discrete solutions, but it's still not physically clear to me why I have a continious wave function but discrete eigenvalues.

The discrete eigenvalue spectrum basically counts how many (eigen-)solutions there are (finite, discretely infinite, continously infinite).
It does not say anything about wether those solutions themselves are continuous or discrete!
In qm i actually can only think of examples where the wavefunctions themselves are continous...

Think of a wave in a box: The standing wave patterns are all continuous functions of space and time. But there are only discrete wavelengths and thus energy levels allowed because an integer wavelength has to fit into the box to get a wavefunction that is quasi-static.
For the atom it is the same reasons in a more complicated geometry.

Related to Questions about Schrödinger's Equation: Help Needed!

1. What is Schrödinger's equation?

Schrödinger's equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes over time. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1926 and is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

2. Why is Schrödinger's equation important?

Schrödinger's equation is important because it allows us to predict the behavior of quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules. It also helped to bridge the gap between classical physics and quantum mechanics, providing a more complete understanding of the physical world.

3. How is Schrödinger's equation used in real-world applications?

Schrödinger's equation is used in various real-world applications, including the development of new materials, designing pharmaceutical drugs, and understanding the properties of electronic devices. It also plays a crucial role in fields like quantum chemistry, solid-state physics, and nuclear physics.

4. What is the significance of the wave function in Schrödinger's equation?

The wave function in Schrödinger's equation represents the probability amplitude of finding a particle in a given location at a specific time. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles on a quantum level.

5. Can Schrödinger's equation be solved exactly for all systems?

No, Schrödinger's equation can only be solved exactly for a limited number of simple systems, such as the hydrogen atom. For more complex systems, numerical methods or approximations must be used to find solutions. This is due to the mathematical complexity of the equation and the limitations of current computing technology.