Questions about speed and motion of a toy car on a conveyor belt

• Thread starter Tonyapplepan
  • Start date
Tonyapplepan
New poster has been reminded to always show their work on schoolwork-type problems.
Homework Statement
A toy car moves from X to Y and back to X at a constant speed. If the conveyor belt moves with a constant speed in the same direction throughout, the round trip of the toy car takes time t1. If the conveyor belt remains stationary throughout, the round trip of the toy car takes time t2. What is the conclusion drawn if you compare t1and t2? How can I prove it? :)
Relevant Equations
Average speed=total distance/total time
A toy car moves from X to Y and back to X at a constant speed. If the conveyor belt moves with a constant speed in the same direction throughout, the round trip of the toy car takes time t1. If the conveyor belt remains stationary throughout, the round trip of the toy car takes time t2. What is the conclusion drawn if you compare t1and t2? How can I prove it? :)
3F7EA893-AC11-41BD-BABC-0C44352C81FD.jpeg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume X and Y are points fixed in the ground frame. (Perhaps there was a diagram?)
Per forum rules, please post an attempt.

"Relevant Equations" is for any standard equations you feel will be relevant, such as general equations for (constant) speed, time, and distance.

Likes topsquark and PeroK
haruspex said:
I assume X and Y are points fixed in the ground frame. (Perhaps there was a diagram?)
Per forum rules, please post an attempt.

"Relevant Equations" is for any standard equations you feel will be relevant, such as general equations for (constant) speed, time, and distance.
Sorry that I didn’t gives a clear explanation,actually I think the diagram is quite misleading,as the motion of the car is from X to Y,and then from Y to X in straight line motion,but not moves in a circle

Tonyapplepan said:
Sorry that I didn’t gives a clear explanation,actually I think the diagram is quite misleading,as the motion of the car is from X to Y,and then from Y to X in straight line motion,but not moves in a circle
Okay, it should be clear enough. What are you saying about ##t_1## and ##t_2##?

PeroK said:
Okay, it should be clear enough. What are you saying about ##t_1## and ##t_2##?
t1 means the time travelled for car from X to Y then Y to X when the belt moves in uniform motion.t2 means the time travelled for car from X to Y then Y to X when the conveyor belt remains stationary throughout

Tonyapplepan said:
t1 means the time travelled for car from X to Y then Y to X when the belt moves in uniform motion.t2 means the time travelled for car from X to Y then Y to X when the conveyor belt remains stationary throughout
I mean what's the question?

PeroK said:
I mean what's the question?
The question is :A toy car moves from X to Y and back to X at a constant speed. If the conveyor belt moves with a constant speed in the same direction throughout, the round trip of the toy car takes time t1. If the conveyor belt remains stationary throughout, the round trip of the toy car takes time t2. What is the conclusion drawn if you compare t1and t2?

Tonyapplepan said:
The question is :A toy car moves from X to Y and back to X at a constant speed. If the conveyor belt moves with a constant speed in the same direction throughout, the round trip of the toy car takes time t1. If the conveyor belt remains stationary throughout, the round trip of the toy car takes time t2. What is the conclusion drawn if you compare t1and t2?
And your conclusion is ...?

Tonyapplepan said:
If the conveyor belt moves with a constant speed in the same direction throughout, the round trip of the toy car takes time t1.
Question 1: How can there be a "round trip" when the direction of the speed is "the same" throughout?
Question 2: Is this constant speed relative to the belt or relative to fixed points X and Y?

kuruman said:
How can there be a "round trip" when the direction of the speed is "the same" throughout?
The conveyor belt moves always in the same direction, so presumably the car does not.

This is a math problem as far as I can tell (sorry if I'm being captain obvious). The car travels speed ##v## relative to the belt, and when it gets to ##Y## it immediately reverses direction without changing speed and travels back to ##X##.

Last edited:
Hi @Tonyapplepan. Welcome to PF.

If you haven't yet read the Forum guidelines (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-help-guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/), note that you are required to show evidence of your own thinking/work. We don't simply give the answer; you'll get guidance to help you work out the answer for yourself.

If you are not yet clear, the question is asking you to say which one is bigger, t₁ or t₂ - or if they are equal (or, less likely, if there is insufficient information to decide). And to explain your reasoning.

So you need to make some initial attempt and post your work here. Hint: If you call the speed of the belt 'u', the speed of the car relative to the belt 'v', and the distance between X and Y 'd', can you work out formulae for t₁ and t₂?

Likes PeroK and erobz

1. How does the speed of the conveyor belt affect the motion of the toy car?

The speed of the conveyor belt directly affects the motion of the toy car. If the conveyor belt is moving at a slow speed, the toy car will also move slowly. Conversely, if the conveyor belt is moving at a high speed, the toy car will also move quickly.

2. Will the weight of the toy car impact its speed on the conveyor belt?

Yes, the weight of the toy car will impact its speed on the conveyor belt. A heavier toy car will require more force to move, so it may move slower on the conveyor belt compared to a lighter toy car.

3. Can the direction of the conveyor belt affect the motion of the toy car?

Yes, the direction of the conveyor belt can affect the motion of the toy car. If the conveyor belt is moving in the same direction as the toy car, it will increase the car's speed. However, if the conveyor belt is moving in the opposite direction, it will decrease the car's speed.

4. How does friction between the toy car and the conveyor belt impact its motion?

The friction between the toy car and the conveyor belt can either increase or decrease its motion. If there is a lot of friction, the toy car may move slower on the conveyor belt. However, if there is less friction, the toy car may move faster.

5. Is there an ideal speed for the conveyor belt to maximize the toy car's motion?

The ideal speed for the conveyor belt to maximize the toy car's motion will depend on various factors such as the weight of the toy car, the direction of the conveyor belt, and the amount of friction. It is important to experiment with different speeds to find the optimal speed for the specific toy car and conveyor belt combination.