Questions about the error in the slope of a graph

In summary, the speaker is working on a lab report and has calculated the slope of a graph, but is having trouble finding the error in the slope. They are confused about how to incorporate the small errors in the x and y values on the graph. Another person suggests using a graphical approach to find the maximum and minimum slopes and their corresponding errors. The speaker provides their data points and confirms with their teacher that the small errors are acceptable.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

I am doing a lab report and I have to find the slope of a graph as well as the max and min lines of the graph. I also have to find the error in the slope. I have calculated the slope. My first problem is in calculating the error lines. My teacher said i must find the slope using just my graph and not my data, meaning when i use the slope formula i can't use my data as the points I use but must use other points on that line. So I did that and got the slope. But to find the slope of the max and min lines I am confused because due to the way i obtained the data, the error in x is the same for all points and the error in y is the same for all points. wouldn't this mean that the slope of the max and min lines will be both be the same as the slope? (because let's say the points are (3 +/-1, 4 +/-2) and (5+/-1, 6 +/- 2) then the slope of the line would be (6-4)/(5-3) = 2/2 = 1 and the slope of the max line would be (8-6)/(6-4) = 2/2 = 1 . I was going to use the following formula for the error of my slope : (max slope - min slope)/2 but now I am confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see the graph.

Chet

The problem is that my error in y was .005 mA and my error in x was .005 V which are both too small to include on the graph.

?temp_hash=8ec4f4c6811a8450a3bbd488c528a6b4.gif

Attachments

• photo(1).gif
    photo(1).gif
    93.1 KB · Views: 761
the two points marked are the ones i used to calculate the slope they are (.6, .6) and (4.4, 4.6) for the slope i got m = 1.05 mA/V

I am trying to find the error in that value of m

OK. Put error bars on each of the points (both horizontal and vertical if necessary), and find the steepest line that passes through the span of all the error bars on all the points simultaneously; this is the maximum slope. Then find the least steep line that passes through the span of all the error bars on all the points simultaneously; this is the minimum slope.

Chet

But my errors are too small for the scale of my graph I tried to include them on an earlier draft of the graph but from looking at the graph it appeared that the errors were much larger than they were when really they were only .005 for every x and y

Teachers will is law. Your example is no good (*).
Better show your (unprocessed) data and the plot you made.

There are formulas for errors in linear least squares (we had a very thorough thread here), but the graphical approach is a good substitute:
  • find the center of gravity of the data points (you need the data for that, but that's allowed I would say).
  • take a ruler and wiggle around while keeping the ruler on the center of gravity. Gives you the error of the slope: when you don't believe that such a line could represent the data any more, you're about a factor of three sigma away from the most probable line. Take the worst of the two (higher slope/lower slope). (three sigma is about one in a thousand)
  • draw the most probable line
  • move the ruler up and down, parallel to the most likely line. Same recipe: when you don't believe it any more, ... etc. Gives the error in vertical direction. Error in y intercept is combination of that and error in slope: ##\sigma_{\rm intercept}^2 = \sigma_{\rm y}^2 + (\sigma_{slope} * x_{\rm average})^2##
You can do this with points without error bars and also with points with error bars. Make sure the error bars don't include systematic errors (things like calibration errors that are common to all points). Such errors belong in the slope.

(*) at least not for my purposes.

Last edited:
the points of my graph were (1.00, 1.05) , (2.00, 2.09) , (3.00, 3.14), (4.00, 4.17) and (5.00, 5.22) the error in all x was +/- .005 V and the error in all y was +/- .005 mA (half of the smallest division on the ammeter and voltmeter. my teacher confirmed that this was fine)

1. What is the error in the slope of a graph?

The error in the slope of a graph, also known as the uncertainty in the slope, refers to the amount of variation or deviation from the true value of the slope. It is a measure of how accurate the slope of the line on the graph represents the relationship between the variables being studied.

2. How is the error in the slope of a graph calculated?

The error in the slope of a graph is calculated using statistical methods such as linear regression or the least squares method. These methods use the data points on the graph to estimate the true value of the slope and determine the uncertainty or error associated with it.

3. What factors can contribute to the error in the slope of a graph?

There are several factors that can contribute to the error in the slope of a graph, including measurement errors, random variation in the data, and bias in the data collection process. It is important to identify and minimize these factors to reduce the error in the slope and improve the accuracy of the results.

4. How does the error in the slope of a graph affect the interpretation of the data?

The error in the slope of a graph can affect the interpretation of the data by either overestimating or underestimating the true relationship between the variables. A larger error in the slope indicates a less precise measurement and may lead to incorrect conclusions about the data. It is important to consider the error when interpreting the results.

5. Can the error in the slope of a graph be reduced?

Yes, the error in the slope of a graph can be reduced by increasing the sample size, improving the accuracy of measurements, and minimizing bias in the data collection process. It is also important to use appropriate statistical methods to calculate the slope and its error. However, it is not possible to completely eliminate the error in the slope as there will always be some level of uncertainty in the data.