Verifying the acceleration of gravity in our lab (help with error please)

feynmansorange
Homework Statement
Hi! I'm doing a lab where my class is verifying the acceleration due to gravity. We dropped an object and recorded the time with a spark timer, then measured the meters every 1/30th of a second. So, I have distance (meters) and time (seconds). THEN we square the time, and plot that on a graph of dist. vs time^2. But my slope is only roughly half of gravity??? isn't the acceleration supposed to be equal to gravity?
Relevant Equations
s=ut+1/2at^2
Data and graphs here (the time is measured every 1/30 of a second, but for some reason, Google Sheets thought 1/30 wasn't a number so its in decimals!!! very confusing!!! so sorry about that!). why is the slope only 4.68, should it not be 9.81m/s^2? is the slope of m/s^2 not supposed to be acceleration due to gravity? is my data weird? thanks!

Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 7.11.18 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 7.11.24 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
In your experiment, s = (1/2)g t2

After your conversion and plot, your graph is similar to following equation.
y = (1/2)g x .... general equation of a straight line.
Slope is therefore (1/2)g, .... there's nothing wrong, right?

Tomy World said:
In your experiment, s = (1/2)a t
You mean s = (1/2)a t2. Then x = t2 in the straight line plot.

Likes feynmansorange
kuruman said:
You mean s = (1/2)a t2. Then x = t2 in the straight line plot.
YEs. When you plot s vs t2, it becomes a straight line equation.

feynmansorange said:
Homework Statement: Hi! I'm doing a lab where my class is verifying the acceleration due to gravity. We dropped an object and recorded the time with a spark timer, then measured the meters every 1/30th of a second. So, I have distance (meters) and time (seconds). THEN we square the time, and plot that on a graph of dist. vs time^2. But my slope is only roughly half of gravity??? isn't the acceleration supposed to be equal to gravity?
Relevant Equations: s=ut+1/2at^2

Data and graphs here (the time is measured every 1/30 of a second, but for some reason, Google Sheets thought 1/30 wasn't a number so its in decimals!!! very confusing!!! so sorry about that!). why is the slope only 4.68, should it not be 9.81m/s^2? is the slope of m/s^2 not supposed to be acceleration due to gravity? is my data weird? thanks!
Now that your question abut the slope has been answered, how do you explain the intercept of about -6 cm? You need to address that question in your report and it seems that you already have the necessary information to do just that.

kuruman said:
Now that your question abut the slope has been answered, how do you explain the intercept of about -6 cm? You need to address that question in your report and it seems that you already have the necessary information to do just that.
yeah, I also noticed that the intercept was off and makes no sense. My physics teacher (who has 0 background in physics because the previous teacher quit a few days before school started) made us measure it like that. I really wish I had an actual teacher.

feynmansorange said:
yeah, I also noticed that the intercept was off and makes no sense. My physics teacher (who has 0 background in physics because the previous teacher quit a few days before school started) made us measure it like that. I really wish I had an actual teacher.
Please don't blame your teacher. You can figure this out on your own because it's your doing. Look at your data. No intercept means that at t = 0 the object is at distance = 0. Your table shows that distance = 0 at time t = (1/30) s.

Hi @feynmansorange,
:welcome:

A clue to the source of plot problem:
Note that the plot shows minor variations from a straight line at times
0, 0.3, 0.55. That repetition at similiar intervals make me suspicious that the either the Time or Distance measurements (or both) may have a systematic error.

Don't expect your test setup or equipment is always perfect. I think @kuruman is hinting at that possibility.

Cheers,
Tom
p.s. It would be interesting to see if others in the class had similiar results.
Please let us know if you find out.

1. What is the accepted value for the acceleration of gravity?

The accepted value for the acceleration of gravity is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is the acceleration of gravity typically measured in a lab?

The acceleration of gravity is typically measured using a simple pendulum or a free-fall experiment.

3. What are some common sources of error when verifying the acceleration of gravity in a lab?

Some common sources of error include air resistance, measurement errors, and friction in the apparatus.

4. How can these sources of error be minimized or eliminated?

To minimize or eliminate these sources of error, the experiment can be conducted in a vacuum to eliminate air resistance, precise instruments can be used for measurements, and friction can be reduced by using lubricants.

5. How many trials should be conducted to ensure accurate results?

At least three trials should be conducted to ensure accurate results and to account for any outliers or inconsistencies. However, the more trials that are conducted, the more reliable the results will be.