Questions from Quantum Measurements

In summary: It's just that there is no canonical way of writing the equation in terms of eigenvectors.I apologise.This is the Pauli Y matrix.Few Information:1. X and Y are written in the {∣0⟩,∣1⟩}2. ∣+⟩=(1/√2)*(∣0⟩+∣1⟩)3. Pauli expressed these matrices in terms of eigenvectors in an important paper.4. The eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be found by diagonalization of the matrix.By definition, an eigen
ARoyC
Homework Statement
Please check the attached screenshots for the questions.
Relevant Equations
Spectral Decomposition of Y, Probability of a Measurement Outcome and Posterior State Formula
[Mentor Note: Two similar thread starts merged]

The questions are from MIT OCW. First of all, I cannot understand what is the meaning of the measurement outcome being 0. How can an eigenvalue be 0? I tried doing the problems guessing that by 0 they mean the posterior state will be |0>. The only correct answer I got was for the first part of the second problem. I first wrote the state of the first qubit after passing through the first Hadamard gate. Then I wrote the tensor product state of the two qubits. After that, I applied the cNOT gate on the second qubit and then again the Hadamard gate on the first qubit. Then I used Born Rule to find the probability of the first qubit being in |0>. But I cannot get the answer for the other two parts using this method. Same problem for the first question.

It would be great if someone can help me out. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-08 122050.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-08 122050.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot 2023-07-08 122200.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-08 122200.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, everyone.

Please check the following two questions.

Screenshot 2023-07-08 122050.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-08 122200.jpg

The questions are from MIT OCW. First of all, I cannot understand what is the meaning of the measurement outcome being 0. How can an eigenvalue be 0? I tried doing the problems guessing that by 0 they mean the posterior state will be |0>. The only correct answer I got was for the first part of the second problem. I first wrote the state of the first qubit after passing through the first Hadamard gate. Then I wrote the tensor product state of the two qubits. After that, I applied the cNOT gate on the second qubit and then again the Hadamard gate on the first qubit. Then I used Born Rule to find the probability of the first qubit being in |0>. But I cannot get the answer for the other two parts using this method. Same problem for the first question.

It would be great if someone can help me out. Thank you in advance.

Regards

Annwoy Roy Choudhury

Please give a complete problem formulation. If we don't know, what ##Y## is, we can't answer any of the questions!

What do you think is a problem of a eigenvalue 0? Take, e.g., ##\hat{S}_z## of a spin-1 particle. It has the eigenvalues 1, 0, -1. In the corresponding eigenbasis the corresponding matrix is
$$\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 &-1 \end{pmatrix}.$$

vanhees71 said:
Please give a complete problem formulation. If we don't know, what ##Y## is, we can't answer any of the questions!

What do you think is a problem of a eigenvalue 0? Take, e.g., ##\hat{S}_z## of a spin-1 particle. It has the eigenvalues 1, 0, -1. In the corresponding eigenbasis the corresponding matrix is
$$\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 &-1 \end{pmatrix}.$$
Y is Pauli Y matrix.

0 eigenvalue is common for every linear transformation for (0,0,0). So it is a trivial case. And in these questions, even if they mean that the eigenvalue is 0, then what is the method to do the problems?

What is "Pauli Y matrix". You HAVE TO clearly define symbols in physics, that are not standard! Otherwise nobody can understand, what's the problem.

Likes George Jones
vanhees71 said:
What is "Pauli Y matrix". You HAVE TO clearly define symbols in physics, that are not standard! Otherwise nobody can understand, what's the problem.
I apologise.

Screenshot 2023-07-10 204848.jpg
This is the Pauli Y matrix.

Few Information:

1. X and Y are written in the {∣0⟩,∣1⟩} X = |0><1| + |1><0| and Y = |0><1| - |1><0|

2. ∣+⟩=(1/√2)*(∣0⟩+∣1⟩)

ARoyC said:
I apologise.

View attachment 329075This is the Pauli Y matrix.
The usual notation for that is ##\sigma_y##.

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
I am sorry. The screenshots of the questions are directly from MIT OCW. So, I had nothing to do with it.

ARoyC said:
0 eigenvalue is common for every linear transformation for (0,0,0). So it is a trivial case. And in these questions, even if they mean that the eigenvalue is 0, then what is the method to do the problems?
By definition, an eigenvector is a non-zero vector satisfying ##T \vec x = \lambda \vec x##. While ##\vec x## has to be non-zero, there's no condition on ##\lambda##.

vanhees71 said:
What is "Pauli Y matrix".

PeroK said:

I think this depends on context, and that it is not unusual to see X, Y, Z in quantum computing books, or quantum books that have substantial sections on quantum computing. I am not entirely sure, and I ould like to check my books, but I'm at my in-laws, and thus separated from my books by several thousand kilometres. As compensation, my mother-in-law made some wonderful aloo paratha for me.

Likes PhDeezNutz and PeroK
George Jones said:
As compensation, my mother-in-law made some wonderful aloo paratha for me.
I'm quite partial to saag aloo myself.

Likes George Jones
Without a Gulab Jamoón, Kuch Nahi.
Edit: But, yes, eigenvalues can be 0, eigenvectors not the 0 vector. The eigenvalues will actually be 0 when the matrix is singular, almost by definition.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What is the difference between classical and quantum measurements?

Classical measurements involve observing a system without affecting it, while quantum measurements involve the act of observation changing the state of the system being measured.

2. How does the uncertainty principle relate to quantum measurements?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This applies to quantum measurements because the act of measuring one property of a particle will inevitably affect the measurement of another property.

3. Can quantum measurements be predicted?

No, quantum measurements cannot be predicted with certainty. The outcomes of quantum measurements are probabilistic and can only be described by a wave function, which gives the probability of obtaining a certain measurement result.

4. What is the role of entanglement in quantum measurements?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other(s). In quantum measurements, entanglement allows for the measurement of one particle to affect the state of the other, even when they are physically separated.

5. How do scientists ensure the accuracy of quantum measurements?

Scientists use various techniques, such as quantum error correction and decoherence control, to minimize errors and maintain the accuracy of quantum measurements. These techniques involve carefully controlling and isolating the system being measured to reduce external influences that could affect the measurement results.