What To Project Upon When Doing QM Measurements?

flyusx
Homework Statement
Let's say we have a set of eigenvalues for a Hamiltonian of a system: h1, h2 and h3 where the eigenvectors are |h1>, |h2> and |h3>. Let's also say we have another operator of a system A (non-commuting with the Hamiltonian) where its eigenvalues are a1, a2 and a3 with eigenvectors |a1>, |a2> and |a3>.
Relevant Equations
$$P(a)=\langle frac{|\langle a|ψ\rangle|^{2}}{\langleψ|ψ\rangle}$$
I have read that if one measures the Hamiltonian and receives a value of h2, then the quantum state will be in ##|h2\rangle##. Finding the probability of a1 is done by projecting ##|a1\rangle## upon ##|h2\rangle## divided by ##\langle h2|h2\rangle##. In other words: $$\frac{|\langle a1|h2\rangle|^{2}}{\langle h2|h2\rangle}$$

I have also seen elsewhere that if we are given a state ##|ψ\rangle## with the Hamiltonian and operator A, then measuring h2 will change the quantum state into a new state ##|ψ'\rangle## given by ##|h2\rangle\langle h2|ψ\rangle##. To find the probability of a1, the textbook explicitly projects ##|a1\rangle## upon ##|ψ'\rangle## and not ##|h2\rangle##. In other words: $$\frac{|\langle a1|ψ'\rangle|^{2}}{\langleψ'|ψ'\rangle}$$

When I expand both out, I get the same answer:
$$\frac{|\langle a1|ψ'\rangle|^{2}}{\langleψ'|ψ'\rangle}=\frac{\langleψ'|a1\rangle\langle a1|ψ'\rangle}{\langleψ'|ψ'\rangle}=\frac{\langleψ|h2\rangle\langle h2|a1\rangle\langle a1|h2\rangle\langle h2|ψ\rangle}{\langleψ|h2\rangle\langle h2|h2\rangle\langle h2|ψ\rangle}=\frac{|\langle a1|h2\rangle|^{2}}{\langle h2|h2\rangle}$$

I see that both methods work, but I'm confused as to whether the quantum state is left in ##|h2\rangle## or ##|ψ'\rangle## after measuring an energy (eigenvalue) of h2. When solving a measurement problem, is there a reason to calculate ##|ψ'\rangle## after measuring H, then using that for calculations with A? Or is it always reasonable to say that a state is in ##|h2\rangle## if h2 is measured, and then use ##|h2\rangle## for further calculations with A?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I much prefer to work with normalized kets only, so I don't like the ##\ket{\psi'} = \ket{h2}\braket{h2 | \psi}## approach, which results in an unnormalized ##\ket{\psi'}##.

Likes BvU
I completely agree (especially since we don't need the <ψ|ψ> at the bottom). But both ways are valid, right? Some problems I work out use one method and other problems use the other, so I just want to make sure I'm not just assuming two methods are identical.

flyusx said:
I have also seen elsewhere that if we are given a state ##|ψ\rangle## with the Hamiltonian and operator A, then measuring h2 will change the quantum state into a new state ##|ψ'\rangle## given by ##|h2\rangle\langle h2|ψ\rangle##.

'seen elsewhere' is vague. Where ?

'A new state ##|ψ'\rangle## given by ##|h2\rangle\langle h2|ψ\rangle## ' would be unnormalized, right ?

##\ ##

From Zettili's QM textbook, I have seen the |ψ'> representation used to solve Problem 3.8 whereas Problem 3.7 doesn't use this method. I've attached a PDF file of those two problems.

In Problem 3.7(b), he projects each ##a## state onto ##\|φ_2\rangle## since that's the eigenvector associated with ##-\varepsilon_0##. In 3.8(b,c) he uses |ψ'> (though he names it |φ>,|χ>), perhaps since the original state was not normalised. But I do agree that normalised kets are always easier to work with.

Attachments

• ZettiliQM.pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
flyusx said:
I completely agree (especially since we don't need the <ψ|ψ> at the bottom). But both ways are valid, right? Some problems I work out use one method and other problems use the other, so I just want to make sure I'm not just assuming two methods are identical.
Yes.

So if a state ##|ψ\rangle## is measured and a value h2 is recorded, the state will be in ##|ψ'\rangle=|h2\rangle\langle h2|ψ\rangle##? But the probability calculation is identical when calculating with ##|h2\rangle##?

flyusx said:
So if a state ##|ψ\rangle## is measured and a value h2 is recorded, the state will be in ##|ψ'\rangle=|h2\rangle\langle h2|ψ\rangle##? But the probability calculation is identical when calculating with ##|h2\rangle##?
##|ψ'\rangle=|h2\rangle\langle h2|ψ\rangle## is nothing but ##|ψ'\rangle= c |h2\rangle## with ##c## some complex number. Physical states are defined up to an arbitrary complex scalar constant, so it is the same state.

Ah, so they're identical with the exception of a constant (the inner product of h2 and ψ).

flyusx said:
Ah, so they're identical with the exception of a constant (the inner product of h2 and ψ).
Correct. It will be useful to remember that ##\braket{|}## correspond to complex numbers and can be moved around equations as needed.