Questions on Stat Mech Physical Adsorption Problem

In summary, the problem in Stat Mech (Physical Adsorption) from the given link considers a closed box with a fixed number of particles N. The solution uses the partition function of the canonical ensemble because the number of particles is fixed. For the grand canonical ensemble, the number of particles would not be fixed as it would involve a reservoir with a fixed μ. The partition functions for the bulk and surface particles are written separately, where N is not fixed.
Silviu
Hello! I have a question about the first problem in Stat Mech (Physical Adsorption) from http://web.mit.edu/physics/current/graduate/exams/gen2_F01.pdf. The solution to it can be found http://web.mit.edu/physics/current/graduate/exams/gen2sol_F01.pdf. I understand the logic they use for the solution, but I am not sure I understand why do they use the partition function of the canonical ensemble and not the grand canonical one. If I understand the problem well, the particles can go from the wall of the container to the inside of the container and the other way around, so the number of particles in not fixed (but the average is). Also, there is no way to exchange energy here, other than particles moving from wall to the inside of the container. So why don't we use the GC ensemble partition function (i.e. adding the term ##e^{-\mu N/KT}##)? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem considers a closed box, with a fixed number of particles N. While the particles can be in two "states," in the bulk or adsorbed, their number is fixed. That's why the canonical ensemble is the right one.

For the grand canonical ensemble, you would have a reservoir of particles at fixed μ, and the number of particles N would not be fixed.

DrClaude said:
The problem considers a closed box, with a fixed number of particles N. While the particles can be in two "states," in the bulk or adsorbed, their number is fixed. That's why the canonical ensemble is the right one.

For the grand canonical ensemble, you would have a reservoir of particles at fixed μ, and the number of particles N would not be fixed.
I understand what you mean, but wouldn't this be the case if you write the partition function for the whole system (N is fixed for ##N=N_{bulk} + N_{surface}##) so for that I would use the canonical ensemble. But he writes the partition functions for ##N_{bulk}## and ##N_{surface}## separately, and these are not fixed.

1. What is physical adsorption?

Physical adsorption, also known as physisorption, is a process in which molecules of a gas or liquid adhere to the surface of a solid material through weak van der Waals forces. It is a reversible process and does not involve any chemical bonding between the adsorbent and adsorbate.

2. How is physical adsorption different from chemical adsorption?

Chemical adsorption involves the formation of chemical bonds between the adsorbent and adsorbate, resulting in a stronger and more permanent attachment compared to physical adsorption. Additionally, chemical adsorption is typically accompanied by a release or absorption of energy, while physical adsorption does not involve any significant energy changes.

3. What is the Langmuir isotherm model?

The Langmuir isotherm model is a mathematical model used to describe the process of physical adsorption. It assumes that the surface of the adsorbent is uniform and that the adsorbate molecules form a monolayer on the surface. The model also takes into account the equilibrium between the adsorbed and non-adsorbed molecules.

4. How is statistical mechanics used to study physical adsorption?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of a large number of particles. In the context of physical adsorption, statistical mechanics is used to analyze the interactions between the adsorbent and adsorbate molecules, as well as the distribution of these molecules on the surface of the adsorbent.

5. What factors can affect the extent of physical adsorption?

The extent of physical adsorption can be influenced by various factors such as temperature, pressure, surface area of the adsorbent, and properties of the adsorbate molecules (e.g. size, polarity). Additionally, the presence of other molecules in the surrounding environment can also affect physical adsorption by competing for adsorption sites on the surface of the adsorbent.