Where Can I Find MIT Physics General Exams from 2002 and After 2012?

In summary, the MIT Physics General Exam is a comprehensive 8-hour examination that tests graduate students' knowledge of core concepts and principles in physics at MIT. It is divided into two 4-hour sessions and covers topics such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. The exam consists of both multiple choice and open-ended questions and is typically offered twice a year in January and June. To prepare for the exam, students are advised to review course materials, practice problem-solving, and seek guidance from professors and peers.
Silviu
Hello! I solved the MIT physics graduate general exams (the Part 2 from http://web.mit.edu/physics/current/graduate/sampleexams.html) and they are super useful to consolidate your knowledge in the areas they cover. Does anyone know where (and if) I can find the exams between 2002 and 2012 and after 2012?

Likes Marco Noguez
Physics news on Phys.org
I think they hold them in reserve and only provide access to selected exams once every ten years, 2002 and 2012.

What is the MIT Physics General Exam?

The MIT Physics General Exam is a comprehensive examination that tests a student's knowledge of the core concepts and principles in physics. It is typically taken by graduate students in the physics department at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) as part of their qualifying requirements.

How long is the exam?

The exam is typically 8 hours long, divided into two 4-hour sessions. The first session usually covers classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics, while the second session covers quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and other advanced topics.

What is the format of the exam?

The exam consists of both multiple choice and open-ended questions. The multiple choice questions are designed to test a student's basic understanding of fundamental concepts, while the open-ended questions require more in-depth problem-solving skills and critical thinking.

How often is the exam administered?

The MIT Physics General Exam is typically offered twice a year, in January and June. However, the specific schedule may vary depending on the department's needs and resources.

How can I prepare for the exam?

Preparing for the MIT Physics General Exam requires a thorough understanding of the core concepts and principles in physics, as well as strong problem-solving skills. It is recommended to review your course materials, practice solving problems, and seek guidance from your professors and peers.