Questions on Topological Insulators, confused on some terminologies

In summary: References and further information on these concepts can be found through research in quantum hall effect and topological insulators. In summary, topological insulators are characterized by an insulating bulk and conducting edge states, which can be further divided into trivial and non-trivial categories. The Chern number, topological invariants, and TKNN number/invariants all refer to the same system and are related to the Hall conductance. A gauge transformation is necessary to consider the adiabatic evolution of the Hamiltonian, and the Berry phase factor is responsible for maintaining the topology of the system. Spin-momentum locking occurs due to this Berry phase factor and is important in understanding the conducting nature of edge states in topological insulators.
chunfaifai
Hi all!

I am currently reading stuff related to quantum hall effect and topological insulators, and have a couple of questions.

1. I read about that band insulators can be classified into two types: topological trivial insulators and topological non-trivial insulators. And there is a topological index related. And I kind of confused with several terms, the Chern number, topological invariants and TKNN number/invariants, stuff like that (I saw these terms over various materials again and again, but I can hardly find one that is simple enough for me to digest.) Are they referring to the same system? And I would like to ask the difference between 2D topological insulator and Quantum hall states as well.

2. I know that topology is involved when we change the Hamiltonian adiabatically, so Berry phase idea follows naturally, but I knid of dun understand why we can consider a gauge transformation in this case?

3. The edge state, how spin-momentum locking possible? This part is kind of important I guess, coz it after all explains why that state is conducting.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any answers or references would be helpful! Thanks a lot! </code>1. The Chern number, topological invariants and TKNN number/invariants all refer to the same system, which is the topological insulator. Topological insulators are materials that have an insulating gap in the bulk but allow for conducting states on their edges. Topological insulators can be further divided into two categories: trivial and non-trivial. The difference between a 2D topological insulator and a quantum hall state is that a quantum hall state is an example of a 2D topological insulator. It is also characterized by an integer invariant known as the Hall conductance, which measures the number of conducting channels at the edge of the material. 2. When we consider a gauge transformation in a topological insulator, it is necessary to ensure that the Hamiltonian remains invariant under this transformation. This is done by introducing a Berry phase factor into the transformed Hamiltonian. This Berry phase factor is responsible for maintaining the topology of the system, and thus allows us to consider the adiabatic evolution of the Hamiltonian.3. Spin-momentum locking occurs in topological insulators due to the Berry phase factor mentioned above. This Berry phase factor causes the momentum of the electrons to be correlated with their spin, resulting in the spin-momentum locking phenomenon. This spin-momentum locking is responsible for the conducting nature of the edge states in topological insulators.

1. What is a topological insulator?

A topological insulator is a type of material that has an insulating bulk, meaning it does not conduct electricity, but has conducting surface states. These surface states are protected by topology, which means they are robust against impurities and defects.

2. How are topological insulators different from regular insulators?

Regular insulators have an energy gap between the valence and conduction bands, which prevents them from conducting electricity. Topological insulators, on the other hand, have a gap in the bulk but have conducting surface states that are protected by topology, allowing them to still conduct electricity on their surface.

3. What is topology and how does it relate to topological insulators?

Topology refers to the geometric properties of a material that remain unchanged even when the material undergoes deformations or changes in shape. Topology plays a crucial role in topological insulators as it protects the conducting surface states from being disrupted by impurities or defects.

4. What are the applications of topological insulators?

Topological insulators have potential applications in the field of quantum computing, as their robust surface states can be used to store and manipulate information. They also have potential uses in spintronics, which is a technology that utilizes the spin of electrons to store and process data.

5. Are there different types of topological insulators?

Yes, there are various types of topological insulators, including 2D and 3D topological insulators, as well as topological crystalline insulators. Each type has unique properties and applications, and their classification is based on the symmetry of their electronic band structure.