Relations between chern number and edge state

In summary, the Chern number is a topological invariant that describes the topology of a system, specifically the number of edge states present. The relation between the Chern number and edge states is that for a system with a non-zero Chern number, there will always be a corresponding number of edge states at the boundary of the system. This relationship is a fundamental aspect of topological materials and has important implications for their electronic properties.
taishizhiqiu
I have been doing a literature survey about topological insulators for some time. What surprises me is the close relation between difference of chern number and number of edge states. However, I found most review or tutorial in topological insulator avoided direct proof of the relation. So can someone tell me where the rigorous proof of the relation can be found?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be greatly appreciated!The relation between the difference of Chern numbers and the number of edge states can be found in a paper by H. Watanabe and S. Murakami, “Edge states and the bulk-edge correspondence for two-dimensional topological insulators”. The paper provides a rigorous proof of the relation, as well as an explanation of its implications. The paper can be accessed here: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1202.1771.pdf

What is the Chern number and how is it related to edge states?

The Chern number is a topological invariant that characterizes the topology of a system. It is related to edge states in the sense that it can predict the existence and number of edge states in a topological system.

How is the Chern number calculated?

The Chern number is calculated by integrating the Berry curvature over the Brillouin zone. This integral is also known as the Berry phase and it can be computed using the Bloch wavefunctions of the system.

What is the physical significance of the Chern number?

The Chern number is a topological invariant, meaning that it does not change under smooth deformations of the system. This makes it a robust and reliable way to characterize topological phases of matter.

What is the relationship between the Chern number and the Hall conductance?

The Hall conductance is equal to the Chern number multiplied by the quantum of conductance. This relationship is known as the TKNN formula and it shows the connection between topology and transport in topological systems.

How do edge states arise from the Chern number?

The Chern number can predict the existence and number of edge states in a topological system by determining the topological invariant of the bulk and its boundary. The difference in Chern numbers between the bulk and boundary can give rise to the presence of edge states.