Questions regarding rotational motion

In summary, the computer disk has a diameter of 8.0 cm and a reference dot is initially located at the edge. It accelerates steadily for 0.50 s, reaching 2000 rpm, then coasts at steady angular velocity for another 0.50 s. Using the equations for rotational motion, it was found that at t=0.25s, the tangential acceleration is 17 m/s^2, centripetal acceleration is 440 m/s^2, and velocity is 8.4 m/s. To find the angular position of the reference dot at t=1s, the problem was divided into two parts - the accelerated part and the constant speed part - and the rotational formulas were used
dismalice

Homework Statement

A computer disk is 8.0 cm in diameter. A reference dot on the edge of the disk is initially located at The disk accelerates steadily for 0.50 s, reaching 2000 rpm, then coasts at steady angular velocity for another 0.50 s.

I have found that a_t=17 m/s^2 @ .25s
a_c = 440 m/s^2 @ .25s
and v = 8.4 m/s @ 1s
I need to find the angular position of the reference dot @ t=1s

Homework Equations

Theta = Theta(not) + (Alpha T^2)/2
s=rTheta

The Attempt at a Solution

Alpha= dW/dT = 2000 (2pi/60) = 209.44 rad/s

Theta= 0+ ((alpha)t^2)/2) + (alpha*t^2) = 314.16 rad

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have to do it in two parts.
First the accelerated part, then the constant speed part.
No one formula applies to the whole motion.

Delphi51 said:
I think you have to do it in two parts.
First the accelerated part, then the constant speed part.
No one formula applies to the whole motion.

Could you please give me an example, I am not quite clear on what you are saying.

For the first .5 seconds, it is accelerated, so use your
Theta= 0+ ((alpha)t^2)/2) + (alpha*t^2)
Oops, I don't think that is quite right - better look it up.
I think the rotational formulas are analagous to the linear ones, so think
D = V1*t + ½ at²
and change the D to θ, the V1 to ω1, the a to alpha.

The formula for the second part will be analgous to d = vt.

The angular position of the reference dot at t=1s would be 314.16 radians. This can be calculated using the formula Theta = Theta(not) + (Alpha T^2)/2, where Alpha is the angular acceleration and T is the time. In this case, the initial angular position (Theta(not)) is 0, and the time is 1 second. Therefore, the angular position at t=1s would be 314.16 radians. This makes sense because the disk is rotating at a constant angular velocity, so the angular position would increase linearly with time.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. This type of motion can be seen in objects such as wheels, gears, and planets in orbit.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement around an axis. Linear motion can be described using distance and speed, while rotational motion can be described using angular displacement and angular velocity.

3. How is rotational motion related to angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around an axis. It is calculated by dividing the angular displacement by the time it takes to make that rotation. Therefore, the faster an object rotates, the higher its angular velocity.

4. What factors affect an object's rotational motion?

The main factors that affect an object's rotational motion are its mass, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the force acting on the object. These factors determine the object's moment of inertia, which is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion.

5. How is rotational motion related to torque?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation. The greater the torque, the greater the object's rotational motion will be.