Questions regarding the condition of a buried body

In summary, the story's protagonist is looking for information about a body that has been buried for about 5-7 months. The body remains undisturbed all through winter and into early spring, when a bear comes out of hibernation and digs it up. Over the next two months, the bones/remains are snacked on by various animals, and are subjected to spring weather conditions. It is not clear whether human rib bones would have enough marrow to warrant being snacked on by various creatures, or if the marauding bear would have cracked open the skull to get to any remaining brain tissue.
Kelsey Clifton
Hello everyone! I'm new to this site, and I'm looking for some help regarding a short story that I'm writing, specifically about the condition of bones (and the remains of a brain) that have been buried for about 5-7 months. I've seen a similar thread, but it didn't really answer my questions.
Background: The story is set in the Allegheny National Forest in Northwestern Pennsylvania. The body is buried in fairly fresh condition in a forest clearing, away from any source of water, in late summer or very early fall. The grave is approximately three feet deep, and the body is buried completely naked. It remains undisturbed all through winter and into early spring, when a bear coming out of hibernation digs it up and basically chows down on whatever's left (with the help of some ravens). Over the next two months, the bones/remains are snacked on by various animals and subjected to spring weather conditions.
Now for the questions: Would human rib bones have enough marrow to warrant being snacked on by various creatures, and would that marrow even still be present after six or so months in the ground? And would the marauding bear have cracked open the skull to get to any remaining brain tissue? Or would insects and worms have gotten to it long before? Some of my research has indicated that a body buried at three feet would be safe from many types of insects, so I'm not sure how extensive the damage would be.
Basically, I'm trying to make this is as accurate as possible, but I've never studied any forensic fields; any help that you guys can provide would be extremely welcome!

Biology news on Phys.org
In your case the fact that the body spent time underground meant that it was likely not consumed by insects like Dermestid beetles. So brain tissue may have survived until Mr. Bear came along.

This PBS link discusses things that happen to buried remains and how they are interpreted. Start with that:
http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/technique/learning-from-skeletons/

1. What factors can affect the condition of a buried body?

There are several factors that can affect the condition of a buried body, including the type of soil, moisture levels, temperature, and presence of scavengers or microorganisms. These factors can impact the rate of decomposition and preservation of the body.

2. How long does it take for a buried body to decompose?

The rate of decomposition can vary greatly depending on the aforementioned factors. In general, it can take anywhere from a few months to several years for a body to fully decompose. However, certain environmental conditions can slow down or accelerate this process.

3. Can DNA samples be obtained from a buried body?

Yes, DNA samples can potentially be obtained from a buried body depending on the condition of the body and the surrounding environment. DNA can be extracted from various tissues, bones, and teeth, and can provide valuable information for forensic investigations.

4. How does embalming affect the decomposition of a buried body?

Embalming, the process of preserving a body with chemicals, can slow down the decomposition process. However, in some cases, embalming may not fully prevent decomposition if the body is not buried in a controlled environment such as a sealed casket.

5. Can a buried body be exhumed for further examination?

In certain circumstances, a buried body can be legally exhumed for further examination. This may be done for forensic investigations, legal purposes, or to gather more information about the deceased. However, exhumation requires proper authorization and must be done with caution to preserve any evidence or potential remains.