Questsion involving pressure difference due to submarine diving

In summary, the pressure difference between the inside and the outside of the submarine is the difference between the given inside pressure of 100 kPa and the pressure calculated using the given depth and density of the ocean.
skyturnred

Homework Statement

A submarine maintains 100 kPa inside it and dives 250 m down in the ocean having an average density of 1030 kg/m[itex]^{3}[/itex]. What is the pressure difference between the inside and the outside of the submarine in kPa?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am quite confused by the question. If I was given the ambient pressure just before the dive, I would solve this problem by doing the following:

P[itex]_{ambient}[/itex]=P[itex]_{@250m}[/itex]-(250m)(9.81m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex])([itex]\rho[/itex])

Then I would simply take the difference of the pressure at this depth and the pressure of the submarine. However, the prof has consistently been providing all necessary pressures and densities for all questions. Also, she has consistently only provided necessary information.

This leads me to believe I need to solve the question using the density of the submarine.

Can someone please lead me in the right direction?

Thank-you

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the pressure inside the submarine? (That's given.)

What's the pressure outside the submarine at the given depth? (Figure that out.)

What's the difference?

1. How does the pressure difference change as a submarine dives deeper into the ocean?

The pressure difference increases as the submarine dives deeper into the ocean. This is because the weight of the water above the submarine increases, creating a higher pressure at deeper depths.

2. What factors affect the pressure difference during a submarine dive?

The main factors that affect the pressure difference during a submarine dive are depth, temperature, and salinity of the water. As the depth increases, the pressure difference also increases. Temperature and salinity can also affect the density of the water, which in turn affects the pressure difference.

3. How is the pressure difference measured during a submarine dive?

The pressure difference is typically measured using a pressure gauge on the submarine. This gauge measures the difference between the internal pressure of the submarine and the external pressure of the water. The difference between these two pressures is what creates the pressure difference.

4. What happens if a submarine dives too deep and experiences a large pressure difference?

If a submarine dives too deep and experiences a large pressure difference, it can lead to structural damage or even collapse of the submarine. This is why it is important for submarines to have a maximum safe diving depth and for the crew to monitor the pressure difference during the dive.

5. How does the pressure difference affect the buoyancy of a submarine?

The pressure difference affects the buoyancy of a submarine by changing the density of the water surrounding it. As the pressure increases, the density of the water also increases, causing the submarine to become more buoyant. This is important for maintaining the desired depth during a submarine dive.