Quick convolution integral checking

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the output of a linear system with a given impulse response for a specific input. The solution involved using the integral equation and evaluating it between the given limits. Despite some discrepancies in the middle term, both the attempted and official answers were found to be similar.
dfx

Homework Statement

Consider a linear system with the impulse response:

g(t) = [tex] 3x^2 - 4x + 7 [/tex] for t>0 and 0 otherwise.

Find the output for the input f(t) = t for [tex] t \geq 0 [/tex] and f(t) = 0 for t<0.

Homework Equations

[tex] \[ \int_{-\infty}^t f(t - \tau)g(\tau)\,d\tau\] [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \[ \int_0^t f(t - \tau)g(\tau)\,d\tau\] [/tex]

[tex] \[ \int_0^t (t - \tau)(3\tau^2 - 4\tau + 7\,d\tau\)] [/tex]

and the answer I keep getting is

[tex] \frac{t^4}{4} - \frac{2t^3}{3} + \frac{7t^2}{2} [/tex]

whereas the official given answer has the sign in the middle term as a plus: [tex] +\frac{2t^3}{3} [/tex]

I've even tried wolfram and I think I'm correct:

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/8637/mspzk2.gif (obviously with different variables - x instead of tau, but still evaluted between t and 0).

If anyone could clear up the correct answer that would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
...anyone?

Even I got the same answer as you. So I guess not much of a help.

Related to Quick convolution integral checking

1. What is a quick convolution integral checking?

Quick convolution integral checking is a method used in signal processing and mathematics to analyze the output of a convolution integral without having to perform the actual calculation. It involves using properties of the convolution operation to simplify the integral and make it easier to evaluate.

2. Why is quick convolution integral checking useful?

Quick convolution integral checking can save time and effort in calculation, as it allows for a faster and more efficient way to analyze the output of a convolution operation. It can also help to identify any errors or mistakes in the calculation process.

3. What are the properties of convolution operation used in quick convolution integral checking?

The main properties used in quick convolution integral checking are commutativity, associativity, and distributivity. These properties allow for the rearrangement and simplification of the integral, making it easier to evaluate.

4. Is quick convolution integral checking always accurate?

No, quick convolution integral checking is not always accurate. It relies on the properties of the convolution operation and may not work for all types of signals or functions. It is important to verify the results obtained through quick convolution integral checking with the actual calculation.

5. How can I apply quick convolution integral checking in my research or work?

Quick convolution integral checking can be applied to various fields such as signal processing, mathematics, and engineering. It can be used to analyze and evaluate the output of convolution operations in different applications, such as filtering, image processing, and system analysis.