Quick partition function question. (Stat. Mech.)

In summary, the partition function is a tool used to determine the probability of a state being occupied at a given temperature, and when kT = En, it is equal to the number of states that are likely to be occupied.
camzie69
Physical interpretation of the partition function. Consider a single-particle quantum system whose states are labeled with an index i = 1, 2, 3, ... with corresponding energies E1, E2, E3, ... . Set the zero of energy at the ground state energy so that E1 = 0. Argue that, if the absolute temperature T is such that kT = En, where n is some integer, then n is the approximate value of the partition function (15.4). Therefore, the partition function is equal to the number of states which are likely to be occupied.

15.4 [tex]\sum[/tex] e^-Ej/kT

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried expanding terms and plugging in for kT=En yielding this but not sure where or if to proceed from here...its not correct right now...

e^-E1/En + e^-E2/En ... + e^-En/En

This gives me 1 for the first term which is a promising first step because if all the exponentials equal one I have the correct solution 1+1+1+...=n but I'm not sure if this is the case of much less how to prove this is the case.

Should this be posted in the mathematics section?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The partition function is the sum of all the possible states of a system weighted by its respective energy. In the case of a single-particle system, this means that every state i has an energy Ei associated with it, and we can use the partition function to calculate the probability of any given state being occupied at a certain temperature T. When kT = En, the partition function becomes the sum of all the exponentials of the energy divided by the temperature, which is equal to the number of states that are likely to be occupied (n). The physical interpretation of the partition function is that it is equal to the number of states that are likely to be occupied at a particular temperature.

Related to Quick partition function question. (Stat. Mech.)

1. What is a quick partition function in statistical mechanics?

A quick partition function is a mathematical tool used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of energy among particles in a system. It is a summation of all possible states of a system and is used to calculate thermodynamic properties such as entropy and free energy.

2. How is a quick partition function calculated?

A quick partition function is calculated by summing the Boltzmann factors of each possible microstate of a system. The Boltzmann factor is equal to e^-E/kT, where E is the energy of a particular state, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature.

3. What is the significance of the quick partition function?

The quick partition function is significant because it allows us to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system, which helps us understand the behavior and characteristics of matter at the atomic and molecular level. It also provides a way to predict and analyze the equilibrium state of a system.

4. What are the assumptions made in using the quick partition function?

The quick partition function assumes that the particles in a system are in thermal equilibrium, meaning they have reached a balance in their energy distribution. It also assumes that the particles are non-interacting and that the energy levels are discrete and well-defined.

5. Can the quick partition function be applied to all systems?

No, the quick partition function is primarily used in systems with a large number of particles, such as gases and liquids. It is not applicable to systems with a small number of particles, such as solids, and it cannot be used to describe systems with strong interactions between particles, such as crystals.