Quick question about a telescoping series

In summary, the given series holds for all real monotone sequences of b_j. It can also be written as \sum_{i=k}^{\infty} \left(a_i-a_{i+1}\right) and the partial sum is given by \sum_{i=k}^{n} \left(a_i-a_{i+1}\right) = a_k-a_{n+1}. As n goes to infinity, the sum becomes a_k. There is no need to restrict the series to being monotone or real.
Townsend
[tex] \sum_{j=k}^{\infty}\left\{{\frac{1}{b_{j}}-\frac{1}{b_{j+1}}}\right\}=\frac{1}{b_{k}}[/tex]

This series holds for all real monotone sequences of [tex] b_j [/tex].

So if I were to carry this series out to say n I end up with a partial sum that looks like:

[tex] S_n=\frac{1}{b_k}-\frac{1}{b_{k+(n+1)}} [/tex]

Now as n goes to infinity we are left with just [tex] b_k [/tex]. This of course implies that [tex]\frac{1}{b_{k+(n+1)}}[/tex] goes to zero as n goes to infinity. So does this mean that the monotone sequence [tex]b_j[/tex] must equal {1,2,3,4,5,...,j} ? If not what exactly are the constraints on [tex]b_j[/tex] to make that series an identity?

Thanks for the help everyone.

JTB

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind...I figured it out. As long as [tex]b_j[/tex] is strictly increasing then the identity holds. The amount of jump between any two terms is irrelevant.

If there are any further comments please feel free to make them other wise I will let this thread die peacefully.

JTB

Townsend said:
[tex] \sum_{j=k}^{\infty}\left\{{\frac{1}{b_{j}}-\frac{1}{b_{j+1}}}\right\}=\frac{1}{b_{k}}[/tex]

This series holds for all real monotone sequences of [tex] b_j [/tex].

Actually, it's a bit cleaner to talk about it as:
[tex]\sum_{i=k}^{\infty} \left(a_i-a_{i+1}\right)[/tex]
Then any partial sum can easily be evaluated:
[tex]\sum_{i=k}^{n} \left(a_i-a_{i+1}\right) = a_k-a_{n+1}[/tex]
so we have
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sum_{i=k}^{n} \left(a_i-a_{i+1}\right) = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_k-a_{n+1}=a_k - \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n+1}[/tex]

There's no need to restrict the series to being monotone or real.

Related to Quick question about a telescoping series

What is a telescoping series?

A telescoping series is a mathematical series where most of the terms cancel out, leaving only a finite number of terms to be added.

How do you determine if a series is telescoping?

To determine if a series is telescoping, you need to look for a pattern in the terms that can be simplified or cancelled out. If there is a pattern, then the series is telescoping.

What is the general formula for a telescoping series?

The general formula for a telescoping series is given by: an = bn - bn+1, where an is the nth term of the series and bn is the simplified form of the nth term.

What is the purpose of using a telescoping series?

The purpose of using a telescoping series is to simplify a complex series and make it easier to calculate the sum. It can also be used to prove the convergence or divergence of a series.

What are some common applications of telescoping series?

Telescoping series are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to solve problems involving infinite sums. They are also used in calculus to find the limit of a sequence or series.