Quick question about brain function in the presence of a magnetic field

In summary, the brain is affected by a magnetic field, but it doesn't appear to be the main factor in how the brain works.
bautistaib
Hello, I'm new in the forum. I was just wondering, if the brain acts by sending electrical impulse, then the presence of a magnetic field should affect its motion right? Anyone knows how that affects its function? Depending of the answer I would have a couple of questions. Thank you

Biology news on Phys.org
bautistaib said:
Hello, I'm new in the forum. I was just wondering, if the brain acts by sending electrical impulse, then the presence of a magnetic field should affect its motion right? Anyone knows how that affects its function? Depending of the answer I would have a couple of questions. Thank you
Since you are new to the forum, you may be under the impression that this is a Q&A forum where you just ask questions and get answers. It isn't. It's a forum for teaching people how to figure out answers on their own and you are expect to put in some effort, not just ask a question, so tell us what you've found out so far on your own and we can go from there.

Well, it's not about homework or anything, I'm in second year of physics and that's why I entered the forum, but in the class of electricity and magnetism I started thinking that since the magnetic field alters the motions of electrons, and the brain its basically (in my understanding) electrical impulses, the magnetic field should affect its function, and though that maybe the Earth's magnetic field do so, so the place where someone lives may affect their brain impulses. The thing is that I have very little to no knowledge in the subject, so I don't know how to think it by myself more that what already did, and that's why I think in posting it here

Yeah, just ignore the comment, you were right. Didn't though it in depth

That was rather rude phinds

Q490264 said:
That was rather rude phinds
Perhaps you should read the forum rules.

Magnetic fields do result from electrical currents flowing, but there is no evidence that the really small and temporary fields resulting from electrical activity in nerve cells has any importance for animals with nervous systems.

rootone said:
Magnetic fields do result from electrical currents flowing, but there is no evidence that the really small and temporary fields resulting from electrical activity in nerve cells has any importance for animals with nervous systems.
I think he's asking about the reverse. Not whether the brain creates EM fields but what happens TO the brain when an external EM field is applied. A trivail amount of research (10 seconds or so) reveals several effects, which is why I asked if he had bothered to do any research of his own

It's worth noting that the electric current does not travel down neurons like current would flow through a wire. Rather, the electrical signals that are transmitted down neurons are known as action potentials. In an action potential, current flows out of the cell (perpendicular to the long axis of the neuron) at one specific point on the neuron, decreasing the local voltage across the cell membrane of the neuron. This decreased voltage then triggers ion channels to open in an adjacent segment, causing current to flow out of that segment, decreasing the voltage, and repeating the process of opening ion channels in subsequent segments of the neuron. So while the signal is electric in nature (relating to altered voltages and electric potentials across membranes), current is not flowing down the axons of neurons.[PLAIN]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_potential[/PLAIN]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a magnetic field affect brain function?

A magnetic field can affect brain function by altering the electrical activity and communication between neurons. This can result in changes in cognitive function, motor control, and perception.

2. Can exposure to a magnetic field cause damage to the brain?

Exposure to high levels of a magnetic field can potentially cause damage to the brain, such as inducing seizures or interfering with brain signaling. However, the effects of exposure to low levels of a magnetic field are still being studied and are not fully understood.

3. What types of magnetic fields affect brain function?

There are two types of magnetic fields that can affect brain function: static magnetic fields and time-varying magnetic fields. Static magnetic fields are constant and do not change over time, while time-varying magnetic fields fluctuate in strength and direction.

4. How do scientists study the effects of magnetic fields on the brain?

Scientists use techniques such as functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) to study the effects of magnetic fields on the brain. These methods allow for the visualization and manipulation of brain activity in the presence of a magnetic field.

5. Are there any potential benefits to exposing the brain to a magnetic field?

Some studies have shown that exposure to a magnetic field may have potential benefits for certain conditions, such as depression and chronic pain. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential benefits and risks of using magnetic fields for brain function.