What Should You Know About Using DC Motors in Wind Energy Projects?

In summary, you should look for a small DC motor with a low motor constant to use as a wind generator.
Moncada
Hi,
I'm doing research for my science project. I chose Wind energy and I need to learn a few things about DC Motors,

Who is a good manufacturer for 6-9V .5 amps DC motor/generators?

What happens if the generator goes over the recommended RPMs?

How do you keep the RPMs between the minimum and maximum requirements Is there something that will slow down if the wind blows to fast?

Can anyone answer or point me in the right direction? Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Who is a good manufacturer for 6-9V .5 amps DC motor/generators?
Anyone who manufactures them cheap enough you can afford them.

What happens if the generator goes over the recommended RPMs?
It goes faster. It may break sooner.

How do you keep the RPMs between the minimum and maximum requirements Is there something that will slow down if the wind blows to fast?
You build a governor or have a mechanism to disconnect the motor if it goes too fast or you fiddle the blade profile.

Likes Moncada
Sounds like you planning to use a small DC motor as a wind generator?

Small wind turbines typically operate in the range 10-1000 rpm depending on the size. Small ones can safely go faster than large ones but deliver less power.

Suppose you want around 12V output at say 200rpm then you would need a generator with a constant of around 200/12 = 16 rpm/volt. However most small DC motors have much higher motor constants - perhaps 500-2000 rpm/volt being more typical of those used in toys. You could consider a gearbox but step up gearboxes aren't very efficient. I would suggest looking for a motor with a low motor constant first. You may have to do a lot of experimenting to get it right so I would recommend googling to find a design that someone has already got working. Copy that and then experiment.

Likes Moncada
I forgot..

One of the largest manufacturers of small cheap motors is Mabuchi. Many other companies make motors based on the physical form factors "standardised" by Mabuchi.

Likes Moncada

1. What is a DC motor?

A DC motor is an electrical device that converts direct current (DC) electrical energy into mechanical energy. It consists of a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (rotating part) that work together to produce rotational motion.

2. How does a DC motor work?

A DC motor works by using the interactions between the magnetic fields of the stator and rotor. When an electric current is passed through the stator, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnetic field of the permanent magnets on the rotor, causing it to rotate.

3. What are the main components of a DC motor?

The main components of a DC motor include the stator, rotor, commutator, brushes, and armature. The stator is the stationary part of the motor that contains the field coils. The rotor is the rotating part that contains the permanent magnets. The commutator is a rotating switch that ensures the direction of current flow in the rotor remains constant. The brushes are carbon or graphite contacts that supply electricity to the commutator. The armature is the part of the motor that rotates and contains the windings.

4. What are the advantages of using a DC motor?

DC motors offer several advantages, including high starting torque, good speed control, and simple speed and direction control. They are also highly efficient, reliable, and have a longer lifespan compared to other types of motors. Additionally, DC motors can operate at various voltages and are easy to maintain.

5. What are the applications of DC motors?

DC motors are used in a wide range of applications, including electric vehicles, industrial machinery, household appliances, and robotics. They are also commonly used in fans, pumps, conveyors, and power tools. DC motors are preferred in these applications due to their high torque, speed control, and reliability.