Quick question about MS quick assist

• Thread starter dyn
  • Start date
In summary: But be aware that if they were to misuse your PC, they could have access to your files even if the session ends.That is my understanding. For peace of mind, you could always try it first with a trusted friend.
dyn
Hi
If i gave someone permission to access my PC using Quick Assist by entering the 6 digit code and then turn my PC off after the assistance has been given can that person access my PC again using the same code ? Or is that code strictly for one "visit" and a new code is needed to allow access again ?
Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
I tried to find the answer for you, but I failed. There are numerous sources of help on how to set up a Quick Assist session using a 6 digit security code. The session can include multiple reboots of your computer. But I find no mention of how to end a session and to revoke the permissions of the remote user.

You are wise to be wary. An endless permission would leave open a huge hole in your security.

anorlunda said:
You are wise to be wary. An endless permission would leave open a huge hole in your security.
Yes , that it what concerns me. I don't think it leads to endless permission but i was just hoping someone would confirm that for me

Have you tried starting the Quick Assist app when done with the assistance? It might show an option to terminate the session?

According to the MS docs, it requires Human interaction to initiate each session.
The Helper requests a Session Code from MS & sends it to Sharer (Requestor); Sharer enters code in their Quick Assist app; and... Off To The Races!

This from: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/quick-assist

How it works​

1. Both the helper and the sharer start Quick Assist.
  2. The helper selects Assist another person. Quick Assist on the helper's side contacts the Remote Assistance Service to obtain a session code. An RCC chat session is established and the helper's Quick Assist instance joins it. The helper then provides the code to the sharer.
  3. After the sharer enters the code in their Quick Assist app, Quick Assist uses that code to contact the Remote Assistance Service and join that specific session. The sharer's Quick Assist instance joins the RCC chat session.
  4. The helper is prompted to select View Only or Full Control.
  5. The sharer is prompted to confirm allowing the helper to share their desktop with the helper.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
According to the MS docs, it requires Human interaction to initiate each session.
The Helper requests a Session Code from MS & sends it to Sharer (Requestor); Sharer enters code in their Quick Assist app; and... Off To The Races!
Yes exactly. That does not mention when or how the session ends. That is the OP's question.

So this means when the initial connection is ended they cannot access my PC again unless i enter another 6 digit code that they give me ?

dyn said:
So this means when the initial connection is ended they cannot access my PC again unless i enter another 6 digit code that they give me ?

That is my understanding. For peace of mind, you could always try it first with a trusted friend.

1. What is MS Quick Assist?

MS Quick Assist is a remote assistance tool developed by Microsoft that allows two users to connect to each other's computers and share control in order to troubleshoot and fix technical issues.

2. How does MS Quick Assist work?

To use MS Quick Assist, one user must initiate a request for assistance and the other user must accept the request. Once the connection is established, the user requesting assistance can either view or control the other user's desktop in order to diagnose and resolve technical issues.

3. Is MS Quick Assist secure?

MS Quick Assist uses industry-standard encryption and authentication protocols to ensure a secure connection between the two users. Additionally, the user requesting assistance can choose to end the session at any time, giving them control over the remote connection.

4. Can MS Quick Assist be used for personal or business purposes?

MS Quick Assist can be used for both personal and business purposes. It is commonly used by IT professionals to provide remote technical support, but it can also be used by individuals to assist friends or family members with computer issues.

5. Is MS Quick Assist available on all devices?

MS Quick Assist is only available on Windows 10 devices. Both users must have a Windows 10 operating system in order to use the remote assistance tool.