Quick question about normal distributions

In summary, the conversation discusses the purchase of a chainsaw and the two types of batteries available for it: Duxcell and Infinitycell. The lifetimes of these batteries are assumed to be independent and Normally distributed, with the mean and standard deviation for Duxcell being 10 and 2 minutes respectively, and for Infinitycell being 19 and 2 minutes respectively. Part a) asks for the probability that a Duxcell battery will last longer than an Infinitycell battery, which is found to be 0.16. Part b) asks for the probability that an Infinitycell battery will last more than twice as long as a Duxcell battery, which is found to be 0.82. Part c) involves a
doctordiddy

Homework Statement

You purchase a chainsaw, and can buy one of two types of batteries to power it, namely Duxcell and Infinitycell. Batteries of each type have lifetimes before recharge that can be assumed independent and Normally distributed. The mean and standard deviation of the lifetimes of the Duxcell batteries are 10 and 2 minutes respectively, the mean and standard deviation for the Infinitycell batteries are 19 and 2 minutes respectively.
Part a) What is the probability that a Duxcell battery will last longer than an Infinitycell battery? Give your answer to two decimal places.

Part b) What is the probability that an Infinitycell battery will last more than twice as long as a Duxcell battery? Give your answer to two decimal places.

Part c) You are going to cut down a large tree and do not want to break off from the job to recharge your chainsaw battery. You buy two Duxcell batteries, and plan to use one until it runs out of power, after which you immediately replace it with the second battery. How long (in minutes) can the job last so that with probability 0.75 you can complete the job using the two Duxcell batteries in sequence?

Provide your answer to 1 decimal place.

Homework Equations

[/B]
z=(x-mean)/StdDev

The Attempt at a Solution

Just wanted to verify something quickly, for part b I had to use sqrt(20) as my standard deviation. I got this because I added the standard deviation of each battery:
sqrt(2^2 (for the infinitycell) + 4^2 (for the duxcell))

Meanwhile for part c), the total standard deviation I used was sqrt(2^2 +2^2), since it is 2 for each (duxcell).

My question is, in part b I could simply double the duxcell battery standard deviation, while in c I had to treat each battery standard deviation seperately, and first convert to variance before i could add them. Is this due to the difference between double the duration (part b) and two batteries in sequence (part c)?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
doctordiddy said:

Homework Statement

You purchase a chainsaw, and can buy one of two types of batteries to power it, namely Duxcell and Infinitycell. Batteries of each type have lifetimes before recharge that can be assumed independent and Normally distributed. The mean and standard deviation of the lifetimes of the Duxcell batteries are 10 and 2 minutes respectively, the mean and standard deviation for the Infinitycell batteries are 19 and 2 minutes respectively.
Part a) What is the probability that a Duxcell battery will last longer than an Infinitycell battery? Give your answer to two decimal places.

Part b) What is the probability that an Infinitycell battery will last more than twice as long as a Duxcell battery? Give your answer to two decimal places.

Part c) You are going to cut down a large tree and do not want to break off from the job to recharge your chainsaw battery. You buy two Duxcell batteries, and plan to use one until it runs out of power, after which you immediately replace it with the second battery. How long (in minutes) can the job last so that with probability 0.75 you can complete the job using the two Duxcell batteries in sequence?

Provide your answer to 1 decimal place.

Homework Equations

[/B]
z=(x-mean)/StdDev

The Attempt at a Solution

Just wanted to verify something quickly, for part b I had to use sqrt(20) as my standard deviation. I got this because I added the standard deviation of each battery:
sqrt(2^2 (for the infinitycell) + 4^2 (for the duxcell))

Meanwhile for part c), the total standard deviation I used was sqrt(2^2 +2^2), since it is 2 for each (duxcell).

My question is, in part b I could simply double the duxcell battery standard deviation, while in c I had to treat each battery standard deviation seperately, and first convert to variance before i could add them. Is this due to the difference between double the duration (part b) and two batteries in sequence (part c)?

Thanks

If ##X_d## is the Duxcell lifetime and ##X_i## is the Infinitycell lifetime, in part (b) you want to know ##P(X_i > 2 X_d)##, which is the same as ##P( X_i - 2X_d > 0)##. What can you say about the random variable ##Y = X_i - 2X_d##?

1. What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a probability distribution that is symmetric around the mean value. It is commonly known as a bell curve because of its shape, with the majority of data falling within one standard deviation of the mean.

2. How is a normal distribution calculated?

A normal distribution is calculated using the mean and standard deviation of a dataset. The formula for a normal distribution is (1/σ√2π)e^-(x-μ)^2/2σ^2, where σ is the standard deviation and μ is the mean.

3. What is the significance of a normal distribution in statistics?

A normal distribution is significant in statistics because it is a common pattern seen in many natural phenomena. It allows for easier analysis and prediction of data and is the basis for many statistical tests and models.

4. How can I check if my data follows a normal distribution?

There are a few ways to check if your data follows a normal distribution. One way is to plot a histogram and see if it resembles a bell curve. Another way is to use statistical tests such as the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test or the Shapiro-Wilk test.

5. Can data that does not follow a normal distribution still be analyzed using statistical methods?

Yes, there are statistical methods that can be used on data that does not follow a normal distribution. However, it is important to consider the assumptions of the chosen method and potentially transform the data to meet those assumptions.