Quick question about the representation of error on a graph

In summary, the conversation is about determining and drawing error bars on a graph for a physics practical work. The person is unsure about how long the margin for the error bars should be and how to determine the error percentage. They are advised to use a canned program like Excel to produce the plot and to estimate the error instead of determining it. The person is also reminded that the value of x is limited to a range of values beyond which it cannot have, and this range is represented by the length of the error bar on the graph.
Ellio
Homework Statement
Draw the graph x (t)
Relevant Equations
Y range = 0 to 0.621
X range = 0 to 0.135

Y tick distance = 0.0125
X tick distance = 0.00375
Hello I hope you are all very well. I did a graph for a physics practical work and I would like to put the "error bar" (I don't know if it's called like this, I'm sorry).
Something like this:
20191024_194825.jpg

I just don't know how long the margin should be.

If someone could clarify to me the way to do the error bars, I would be really grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you show is OK, but can you post the entire graph including the axes and their labels?

kuruman said:
What you show is OK, but can you post the entire graph including the axes and their labels?
Oh, the image I showed was just to clarify what I was talking about, it's not the graph I made.
20191024_133823.jpg

This is the graph on which I would like to put the error bars.

The plot is in illegible. I think you should use a canned program such as Excel to produce a plot. Excel will also put error bars for you so you will not have to draw them by hand. Are your error bars fixed in magnitude, a percentage of the values or what?

kuruman said:
The plot is in illegible. I think you should use a canned program such as Excel to produce a plot. Excel will also put error bars for you so you will not have to draw them by hand. Are your error bars fixed in magnitude, a percentage of the values or what?
There is no error bars yet. That's actually the topic of my question. I would like to know how to do error bars on a graphic (in percentage for example).

Example
If x is 20 units and you have a 10% error then ##x=20\pm 2~\mathrm{units}##. You put your point on the graph at x = 20 units and you draw two line segments, parallel to the x-axis, each 2 units long on either side of the point. Does that answer your question?

kuruman said:
Example
If x is 20 units and you have a 10% error then ##x=20\pm 2~\mathrm{units}##. You put your point on the graph at x = 20 units and you draw two line segments, parallel to the x-axis, each 2 units long on either side of the point. Does that answer your question?
Ok but how do I determine the error percentage ?

Ellio said:

Sorry, that's going to be in your data and the problem you are determining. "How do I determine the error percentage?" is not a question that could possibly be answered without going through your specific problem.

DEvens said:
Sorry, that's going to be in your data and the problem you are determining. "How do I determine the error percentage?" is not a question that could possibly be answered without going through your specific problem.
Oh ok so it isn't always 10% of one unit ? Could I in this case choose myself the percentage ?

Ellio said:
You do not determine that, you estimate it. Only you know what you measured and how and it's not necessarily a percentage; it could be a fixed amount. For example, if you measured the length and width of a book using a standard ruler with millimeter subdivisions, you might say that you can measure the length to be ##20 \pm 0.1~\mathrm{cm}## which essentially means that you are pretty confident that the length of the book is not less than 19.9 cm or greater than 20.1 cm. The fact that the ruler has millimeter subdivisions does not necessarily mean that the error is fixed ##\pm 0.1~\mathrm{cm}##. If you use the same ruler to measure the width of the book, you might have to report it as ##12 \pm 0.3~\mathrm{cm}## because the back of the book has some curvature in it and the "width" is not as well defined as the length. That's what I mean when I say "only you know what you measured and how". Do your best and use as your guide for setting the error bars the idea that there is not such a thing as the value of x but that x is limitied to a range of values beyond which it cannot have. The range of these values is the length of your error bar.

kuruman said:
You do not determine that, you estimate it. Only you know what you measured and how and it's not necessarily a percentage; it could be a fixed amount. For example, if you measured the length and width of a book using a standard ruler with millimeter subdivisions, you might say that you can measure the length to be ##20 \pm 0.1~\mathrm{cm}## which essentially means that you are pretty confident that the length of the book is not less than 19.9 cm or greater than 20.1 cm. The fact that the ruler has millimeter subdivisions does not necessarily mean that the error is fixed ##\pm 0.1~\mathrm{cm}##. If you use the same ruler to measure the width of the book, you might have to report it as ##12 \pm 0.3~\mathrm{cm}## because the back of the book has some curvature in it and the "width" is not as well defined as the length. That's what I mean when I say "only you know what you measured and how". Do your best and use as your guide for setting the error bars the idea that there is not such a thing as the value of x but that x is limitied to a range of values beyond which it cannot have. The range of these values is the length of your error bar.
Understood, thank you so much for your help I appreciate it !

What is the purpose of representing error on a graph?

The representation of error on a graph allows us to visually understand the reliability of the data and the range of uncertainty in the measurements.

What are the different ways to represent error on a graph?

The most common ways to represent error on a graph are error bars, confidence intervals, and standard deviation bands.

How do you calculate error on a graph?

The calculation of error on a graph depends on the type of error being represented. For example, error bars are calculated by using the standard deviation or standard error of the data points.

What is the difference between error bars and confidence intervals?

While both error bars and confidence intervals represent the range of uncertainty in the data, confidence intervals take into account the sample size and provide a more accurate estimate of the true value of the data.

Why is it important to include error on a graph?

Including error on a graph is important because it allows us to accurately interpret and draw conclusions from the data. It also helps to identify any inconsistencies or outliers in the data.