Quick test(How clever you are?)

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary, in the conversation, the participants answered five questions and a bonus question. They had to answer them instantly and all of them were answered correctly. The questions included math and logic puzzles, as well as language and communication scenarios. The participants showed their ability to think quickly and creatively in order to solve the challenges presented to them.
Lisa!
Gold Member
Below are 4 questions and a bonus question. You have to answer them instantly. Answer all of them immediately. I'll give you te answers later unless you heard it before.

PS: Don't forget to write your answers in white

First Question:

You're participating in a race. You overtake the scond person. What position are you in?

Second Question:(Don't take as much time as you took for the first question)

If you overtake the last person, then you are...?

Third Question:(very tricky math! Note: This must be done in your head only. You're not allowed to use paper and pencil or a calculator)

Take 1000 and add 40 to it. Now add another 1000. Now add 30. Add another 1000. Now add 20. Now add another 1000 Now add 10.

Fourth Question:

Mary's father has five daughter: 1.Nana 2.Nene 3. Nini 4. Nono.
What's the name f the fifth daughter?

The Bonus round:

There is a mute person who wants to buy a toothbrush. By imitating the action of brushing one's teeth he successfully expresses himself to the shopkeeper and the purchase is done.

Now if there's a blind man who wishes to buy a pair of sunglasses, how should he express himself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
second, second-last, 4100 [i heard it today], nunu, why would he need it? he could simply say that he needs sunnies.

edit by Evo: you loose, you didn't follow instructions.
edit by me: :redface:

Last edited:
First Question:

You're participating in a race. You overtake the scond person. What position are you in?
answer: second

answer:second to last, I'm assuming I was last but overtook the person ahead of me

Third Question:(very tricky math! Note: This must be done in your head only. You're not allowed to use paper and pencil or a calculator)

Take 1000 and add 40 to it. Now add another 1000. Now add 30. Add another 1000. Now add 20. Now add another 1000 Now add 10.
answer: 4,100

Fourth Question:

answer: Mary

The Bonus round:

There is a mute person who wants to buy a toothbrush. By imitating the action of brushing one's teeth he successfully expresses himself to the shopkeeper and the purchase is done.

Now if there's a blind man who wishes to buy a pair of sunglasses, how should he express himself?
answer: He should just ask for a pair of sunglasses.

edit, yeah I missed #4 initially, just not paying attention

Last edited:
what instructions?

Perhaps writing in white!

gurkhawarhorse said:
what instructions?
You were supposed to write your answers in white. I changed your answers to white, they're still there. (you didn't really lose)

We answer quizzes in white so that people that want to play don't accidently see the answers.

oh! sorry

First question: You are in second place.

Second question: It depends on the type of race. How can you overtake the last in a race unless it is a circle track? If so, then it could be any position.

Third question: I got 4100. I seen this in an email one time and I got it wrong. I couldn't believe it. I probably got it wrong this time too.

Fourth question: Ummmm, how about Mary?

Fifth question: I suppose the smart thing to do would be to just verbally ask. Although I will admit it took me a minute to figure that one out.

1 second

2 one lap ahead or last

3 5000

4 Nunu

5 ask for pair of sun glasses

Last edited:
^
|||||
see, I'm not the only one :biggrin:

gurkhawarhorse said:
^
|||||
see, I'm not the only one :biggrin:

What you talking about Horsey :confused: :uhh:

My first couple were different..

First: What does "second person" mean? The person ranked second in the race, or the second person that you overtake?

Second: To overtake the last person, you must be in last. Thus, it doesn't make sense.

Third: 4100? Trick question?

Fourth: Nunu, duh.

Fifth: Ask.

Last edited:
second, any position, 4100, nunu, verbally

wolram said:
What you talking about Horsey :confused: :uhh:

u 2 forgot to make your answers white like me.:biggrin:

<<1.2
2.not possible
3.4100 (still don't see the catch)
4. mary
5. He could walk into the store with his dog, pick it up, and start swinging it around. Surely, this will will the nearest store attendant to him, asking him what he's doing. To this the blind man could reply "Oh, I'm just looking around !".

Or he could, being a ZZTop fan and all, ask for a pair of cheap sunglasses.
>>

I think I overshot the time-limit on that last question.

the pattern of mary's daughter's names seem to go in the alphabetical order of sanskrit. i don't think that the person who made the question knwew sanskrit but the pattern looks familiar and matches others answers too.
like ka , kaa, ki, kee, ku, koo, ke , kai, ko...
thats why i got it wrong

Last edited:
It's the old establish a pattern trick, and see who sticks with the pattern even when it isn't appropriate. Despite knowing that, I got two wrong.

Bah! I wrote nunu as well :cry:

2nd
2nd to last
Mary
He should ask for a pair of sunglasses.

kinda easy

yomamma said:
kinda easy
Nice to know you can't add :biggrin:

I don't see how I got that wrong!

oh, I get how it tricked me! :rolleyes:

Ok, Averagesupernova and Gokul43201 answered all the questions correct. You can check the answers in their replies!

Knavish, it's sunglasses, ok?

Gokul43201 said:
<<1.wrote in white
2.white
3. white
4. white
5. He could walk into the store with his dog, pick it up, and start swinging it around. Surely, this will will the nearest store attendant to him, asking him what he's doing. To this the blind man could reply "Oh, I'm just looking around !".

Or he could, being a ZZTop fan and all, ask for a pair of cheap sunglasses.
>>

I think I overshot the time-limit on that last question.

3. Most of people think 4090+10= 5000!
5. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: what long story!

Lisa! said:
The Bonus round:

After the first four I was expecting a trick question and so I read this and thought, duh, why would a blind man need to wear sunglasses?

I originally paid no attention to the first part of the question "mary's father" and just looked at the pattern of names. :rolleyes: It wasn't until I reread it later that I caught the obvious. :frown:

At least I can count. :biggrin:

The correct title of the quiz should be "how well do you pay attention?" :wink:

Now we should change "how to bother people or cause they feel bad about themselves". :wink:

Lisa! said:
Below are 4 questions and a bonus question. You have to answer them instantly. Answer all of them immediately. I'll give you te answers later unless you heard it before.
First Question:

The confusing ones
2nd, 1st (you just lapped them), just ask him to get you sunglass because you aren't mute, you are blind:wink:

btw, Mary's a transsexual, the last daughter is Nunu:smile:

edit: just saw average's answer for the 2nd one, guess that'd be the correct one.

Last edited:
I still don't get how you could overtake the last person.

If you were to overtake them, that would mean you being behind them, and going in front of them. But you would have to be behind the last person to do that, making yourself last, but how do you overtake yourself?

You lapped them, on a circular track; that's why I thought you would have to be first, because if you overtake the last person (which indicates the position they held before you passed them), then that means either you had to be last and now they are last or you lapped them. Seems that the wording indicates what I said.

Lisa! said:
First Question:
Fourth Question:

The Bonus round:

1. 2nd
2. Impossible situation.
3. 4100
4. Mary

bonus - why would a blind man need sunglasses?

rachmaninoff, you did well until the bonus question. :frown:

First Question:
Fourth Question:
The Bonus round:
Answers
1: second
2. second to last
3. 4100 (That was easy)
4. nunu
5. he says he wants sunglasses.

DArn it! I missed number four. Wow, that is a hard one.

Last edited:
1. Second position
2. First position if its a multiple lap race, otherwise you can't overtake the last person.
3. 4100
4. Nunu
5. He's blind he doesn't need sunglasses! But he can just say it out loud.

So number 4 got me :P
And I just realized for number 2: It could be any position from first to second last

Last edited:
0TheSwerve0 said:
You lapped them, on a circular track; that's why I thought you would have to be first, because if you overtake the last person (which indicates the position they held before you passed them), then that means either you had to be last and now they are last or you lapped them. Seems that the wording indicates what I said.
Mmmmm, I think that's the only way, and you have the answer.

1.2nd
2.!=last
4.Mary
5.blind people can speak, so if he had any sense he would just ask