Quick Trigonometric Identity Question

In summary, the conversation involves a student asking for confirmation about using a trigonometric identity to solve an integral. The identity is similar to one they noticed while reviewing their work. The student also mentions using a change of variables to simplify the integral. The expert agrees that the identity is valid and suggests using it, but notes that it may not make the integral shorter in this particular case. The student also clarifies a typo in the region of integration.
Draconifors
Hi! I have an integral to solve (that's not the point, though) and the inside of the integral is almost a trig identity:

1. Homework Statement

##sin\frac{(x+y)} {2}*cos\frac{(x-y)} {2} ##

Homework Equations

I noticed this was very similar to ##sinx+siny = 2sin \frac{(x+y)} {2} * cos\frac{(x-y)} {2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially, within the context of the problem (a double integral over a certain region) I had used a change of variables which, while tedious, was doable (I can share that work, if you want). While reviewing my work, I recalled this identity, and just wanted to make sure whether or not I could transform the equation into ## \frac {1} {2} (sinx+siny) = sin \frac{(x+y)} {2} * cos\frac{(x-y)} {2}##. I don't see why I couldn't, but I just want a confirmation.

Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Draconifors said:
Hi! I have an integral to solve (that's not the point, though) and the inside of the integral is almost a trig identity:

1. Homework Statement

##sin\frac{(x+y)} {2}*cos\frac{(x-y)} {2} ##

Homework Equations

I noticed this was very similar to ##sinx+siny = 2sin \frac{(x+y)} {2} * cos\frac{(x-y)} {2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially, within the context of the problem (a double integral over a certain region) I had used a change of variables which, while tedious, was doable (I can share that work, if you want). While reviewing my work, I recalled this identity, and just wanted to make sure whether or not I could transform the equation into ## \frac {1} {2} (sinx+siny) = sin \frac{(x+y)} {2} * cos\frac{(x-y)} {2}##. I don't see why I couldn't, but I just want a confirmation.

Thank you for your time!
That looks perfectly fine to me.

What is region of integration?

SammyS said:
That looks perfectly fine to me.

What is region of integration?

Thank you for your answer!

The region is bounded by ##x+y=0 ##, ##x+y=2 ## and ##y=0 ##.

That's why I had initially defined ##u=x-y ## and ##v=x+y ##. It was a doable but kind of long integral to do, so I wanted to see whether I could shorten it down.

Draconifors said:
Thank you for your answer!

The region is bounded by ##x+y=0 ##, ##x+y=2 ## and ##y=0 ##.

That's why I had initially defined ##u=x-y ## and ##v=x+y ##. It was a doable but kind of long integral to do, so I wanted to see whether I could shorten it down.
That region is not bounded. Is there a typo ?

SammyS said:
That region is not bounded. Is there a typo ?

Yes, I'm sorry!

It should read ##x-y=0## for the first equation.And I'm redoing my problem using the trigonometric identity, and I notice that it's not actually shorter because of my upper bound being 2-x for y.

Draconifors said:
Yes, I'm sorry!

It should read ##x-y=0## for the first equation.And I'm redoing my problem using the trigonometric identity, and I notice that it's not actually shorter because of my upper bound being 2-x for y.
Well, it was a good idea anyway. It just didn't work out in this case.

1. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that involves trigonometric functions and is true for all possible values of the variables in the equation. These identities are used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve equations.

2. How do you prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you need to manipulate both sides of the equation using known trigonometric identities, algebraic manipulations, and basic trigonometric relationships until the two sides are equal. This process is known as "solving the identity."

3. What are the fundamental trigonometric identities?

The fundamental trigonometric identities are sine, cosine, and tangent, and their reciprocals cosecant, secant, and cotangent. These identities relate the ratios of the sides of a right triangle to its angles.

4. How do you use trigonometric identities to solve equations?

To use trigonometric identities to solve equations, you can manipulate the equation using known identities until it is in a simplified form. Then, you can use inverse trigonometric functions to find the values of the variables that satisfy the equation.

5. Can trigonometric identities be used in real-world applications?

Yes, trigonometric identities can be used in real-world applications such as engineering, physics, navigation, and architecture. They are used to model and solve problems involving angles, triangles, and periodic functions.