R1 350 Ohms: What Current Flows at 50V?

In summary, the potential at resistor R1 (350 Ohms) is equal to 0 when 50V is applied to AB, resulting in a net voltage of 25V on each side of the resistor and no current flowing through it. The other resistors being equal also contribute to this result.
x^2

Homework Statement

What current flows through resistor R1 (350 Ohms) in the figure when the applied voltage is 50 V?
prob03a_circ_comp_resis.gif

Homework Equations

V = IR ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I would have thought the answer would be zero because I thought the potential at R1 is equal (but this was incorrect). What am I missing here? I guess I don't see how the potential at this point isn't equal, and I'm not sure how to solve it now knowing that it must not be the same.

x^2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
x^2 said:
I would have thought the answer would be zero because I thought the potential at R1 is equal (but this was incorrect). What am I missing here? I guess I don't see how the potential at this point isn't equal, and I'm not sure how to solve it now knowing that it must not be the same.

x^2

If the other R's are equal, then it is 0.

With 50V applied to AB, the terminals of each side of R1 would be 25V. No net voltage, no current.

LowlyPion said:
If the other R's are equal, then it is 0.

With 50V applied to AB, the terminals of each side of R1 would be 25V. No net voltage, no current.

That's what I thought... I tried 0 A but it was incorrect. I'm going to talk to the prof. and see what is wrong.

Thanks!
x^2

x^2 said:
That's what I thought... I tried 0 A but it was incorrect. I'm going to talk to the prof. and see what is wrong.

Thanks!
x^2

The correct answer is 0 A. There was a problem with the system which was why I was getting it wrong.

Thanks for the confirmation!
x^2

Related to R1 350 Ohms: What Current Flows at 50V?

1. What is R1 350 Ohms?

R1 350 Ohms is a type of resistor that has a resistance value of 350 Ohms. It is used to regulate the flow of electric current in a circuit.

2. What does the number 50V represent in R1 350 Ohms?

The number 50V represents the voltage at which the current flow is being measured. In this case, the current flow is being measured at 50 volts.

3. How do you calculate the current flow in R1 350 Ohms?

To calculate the current flow in R1 350 Ohms, you can use Ohm's law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). In this case, the current flow would be 50V/350 Ohms = 0.143 A.

4. Can the current flow change in R1 350 Ohms?

Yes, the current flow in R1 350 Ohms can change depending on the voltage and resistance in the circuit. As the voltage increases, the current flow will also increase, and vice versa.

5. What is the significance of R1 350 Ohms in a circuit?

R1 350 Ohms is a crucial component in a circuit as it helps to regulate the flow of electric current. It can also protect other components from being damaged by controlling the amount of current that passes through them.