R136a defies Laws of Stellar Evolution

In summary: If the mass of the core exceeds a certain point, the pressure from the energy can becomes too much, and the star can implode, causing a supernova. Although RS-136a should have already exploded based off the model, it still exists due to the fact that it lost a significant amount of mass before it could explode.
AdamAutism1998
At 265 SM, and age 1.7 Million years, at 163,000 Light Years Away in the R136 cluster, is R136a. But, it shouldn't be alive now. It should have exploded given the model of Solar Mass Evolution at 200,000-375,000 Years old of age. It's in it's Wolf-Rayet phrase, but it still shouldn't be alive. I'm confused by the dynamics in this scenario. It's larger than an average WR star (28.8 SR) but with it's energy output and luminosity of 8,700,000 Suns, it should have already died. I think we should study it more because this is a serious mystery for stellar evolution. Does anyone know anything more?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is almost certainly from a merger of lighter stars. Google "blue straggler".

R136a has already shed a significant amount of it original mass, so its continued existence is less a mystery. It may also be a close binary system, although that is arguable.

AdamAutism1998 said:
At 265 SM, and age 1.7 Million years, at 163,000 Light Years Away in the R136 cluster, is R136a. But, it shouldn't be alive now. It should have exploded given the model of Solar Mass Evolution at 200,000-375,000 Years old of age.
How do you get these numbers?

snorkack said:
How do you get these numbers?
Models based off Stellar Evolution. I studied that a lot.

Chronos said:
R136a has already shed a significant amount of it original mass, so its continued existence is less a mystery. It may also be a close binary system, although that is arguable.
True. Although it would be very hard to determine.

Vanadium 50 said:
This is almost certainly from a merger of lighter stars. Google "blue straggler".
I did. Although it should have exploded if that much mass was to merge. Plus it would be rotating fast.

AdamAutism1998 said:
Although it should have exploded if that much mass was to merge

Really? Are you an expert in stellar evolution? Or is this a guess? If it's not a guess, why? What would cause the explosion?

Vanadium 50 said:
Really? Are you an expert in stellar evolution? Or is this a guess? If it's not a guess, why? What would cause the explosion?
I'm not an "expert" on the subject nor do I consider myself one. But my reasoning is based off the total mass required to fuse. In the event such massive stars were to collide, they would merge at very high speeds due to the gravitational influence of approach. As the cores merge, it would leave a gap. Because the merging process makes both stars unstable for a certain period of time, the cores mass would make the orbital velocity very fast. If one core was more massive than the other by a certain level, the unbalance would be catastrophic. The rotation of the core would accelerate to the point of which breakup is inevitable. A pair instability supernova would obscure from the unbound core. Plus, there has been no evidence of extreme rotation, which in Blue Stragglers, is extremely fast, almost to breakup velocity.

If RS-136a was part of a close companion binary system it would be expected to be an x ray variable. Since no variability has been detected in its x ray spectrum, it is argueably unlikely to be a member of a close binary system.

AdamAutism1998 said:
Models based off Stellar Evolution. I studied that a lot.
Where precisely do they quote your 200 000-375 000 years?

snorkack said:
Where precisely do they quote your 200 000-375 000 years?
It's a stellar evolution chart. It's on Wikipedia, but I used the variables to follow it down further.

AdamAutism1998 said:
It's a stellar evolution chart. It's on Wikipedia, but I used the variables to follow it down further.
The thing is, you cannot. Care for an explanation why?

snorkack said:
The thing is, you cannot. Care for an explanation why?
Yes, Please. I would like to understand more.

It's impossible for a star to explode appreciably sooner than about 2 million years, no matter how massive. Do you spot the reason?

snorkack said:
It's impossible for a star to explode appreciably sooner than about 2 million years, no matter how massive. Do you spot the reason?
Energy vs Pressure. Although Massive, and having a very prominent gravitational field, there's a counterbalance in the core caused by the intense energy it radiates. This prevents the star from collapsing until it has lost enough mass to be able to counteract the force of gravity forcing it to collapse. Since the star was so massive, it was able to hold it's own for a while against this immense pressure. But, in the process this force is causing a powerful stellar wind, making the star lose the mass of the sun every 50,000 years, but the rate is decreasing as it loses more mass, from a possible Solar Mass every 10,000 at birth in recent studies.

However, (This was last year, and I don't remember the source so don't ask please) Inside the massive star, there is a barrier between the two forces. Although the collision should be too intense and violent for atoms to fuse, there's a limit. The core is generally unpredictable. However, unlike the Earth, which has gravitational fields that vary notably, Stars can have this too, but in much, much, smaller differences. However, in massive stars, this is critical. The weight of the barrier will increase in certain areas, slowing down the effects of energy causing the atoms to be unable to fuse. If you shoot a bullet through a series of walls, it will slow down with each wall it passes through, until it stops. In a key area of this layer, the force of energy is no longer strong enough to effect fusion. The heat allows fusion of heavier elements very quickly. Iron is fused in a few thousand years, and as this mass grows greater, energy is suppressed more. However, a star this massive cannot form a black hole or neutron star due to the unstable pressure and heat now at the core. It explodes as a Pair-Instability Supernova.

The reason is that the luminosity of a star is limited by Eddington luminosity.

snorkack said:
The reason is that the luminosity of a star is limited by Eddington luminosity.
Okay.

And Eddington luminosity is proportional to the mass of star.

snorkack said:
And Eddington luminosity is proportional to the mass of star.
Okay.

I thought it had surpassed that limit according to recent studies.

Certainly the structure of stars very close to the Eddington limit, or beyond it, is complicated and not well known. You are right that stars can exceed the Eddington limit, because they go convective over most of the interior, and then the Eddington limit does not apply. In the outer layers, where the density is too low for convection to be effective, the star can exceed the Eddington limit because the light can escape through gaps in the clumps of gas, and can also drive a dense wind where the force is allowed to exceed gravity. But it shouldn't exceed that limit by too much, so it's still true that extrapolating a table is only going to work if the table already goes up to where the Eddington limit is reached. That also means snorkack is right that the lifetime cannot get too short, perhaps not too much less than a milllion years.

Ken G said:
Certainly the structure of stars very close to the Eddington limit, or beyond it, is complicated and not well known. You are right that stars can exceed the Eddington limit, because they go convective over most of the interior, and then the Eddington limit does not apply. In the outer layers, where the density is too low for convection to be effective, the star can exceed the Eddington limit because the light can escape through gaps in the clumps of gas, and can also drive a dense wind where the force is allowed to exceed gravity. But it shouldn't exceed that limit by too much, so it's still true that extrapolating a table is only going to work if the table already goes up to where the Eddington limit is reached. That also means snorkack is right that the lifetime cannot get too short, perhaps not too much less than a milllion years.
Okay.

How does the Solar Wind apply as well?

The solar wind plays no role-- the rest of the star is almost completely ambivalent to it, its mass and energy fluxes are so pathetic.

1. What is R136a and why is it significant in stellar evolution?

R136a is a massive star cluster located in the Tarantula Nebula in the Large Magellanic Cloud. It is significant because it contains some of the most massive and luminous stars ever observed, which are important for studying the process of stellar evolution.

2. How does R136a defy the laws of stellar evolution?

R136a contains stars that are much more massive than what is predicted by current models of stellar evolution. These stars have masses up to 300 times that of the Sun, which is much higher than the previously accepted limit of 150 solar masses for star formation.

3. What implications does R136a have for our understanding of stellar evolution?

The discovery of R136a challenges our current understanding of how stars form and evolve. It suggests that there may be other factors at play, such as the presence of strong magnetic fields, that allow stars to form and grow to such extreme sizes.

4. How was R136a discovered and studied?

R136a was first discovered in the 1980s using data from the European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope. Since then, it has been studied extensively using a variety of telescopes and techniques, including spectroscopy and imaging, to better understand its properties and characteristics.

5. What further research is needed to fully understand R136a?

Scientists are still working to fully understand the formation and evolution of R136a and its massive stars. Further studies will involve using advanced telescopes and instruments to gather more detailed data on the cluster's stars, as well as developing new theories and models to explain its unique properties.