Rabi Hamiltonian : counter-rotating terms

In summary, the conversation discusses the counter-rotating terms of the Rabi Hamiltonian, specifically the terms ##a^\dagger \sigma_+## and ##a \sigma_-##. These terms are interpreted as describing transitions where a photon is emitted and the atom is excited or a photon is absorbed and the atom relaxes. The conversation also mentions the Jaynes-Cummings model, where a two-level "atom" is described using spin-1/2 operators, and the rapidly oscillating counter-rotating terms are often neglected in the solvable "rotating-wave approximation". However, for strong coupling with matter, these terms cannot be neglected.
Paul159
Hello,

I'm trying to understand the counter-rotating terms of the Rabi Hamiltonian : ##a^\dagger \sigma_+## and ##a \sigma_-##.

I find these terms rather strange, in the sense that naively I would interpret them as describing an electron that gets excited by emitting a photon (and vice versa).
So how should these terms be correctly interpreted ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd need a bit more context. What are the annihilation and creation operators and the "spin-ladder operators" refer to? Maybe you refer to the Jaynes-Cummings model?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaynes–Cummings_model

Here a two-level "atom" is formally described using spin-1/2 operators. The "counter-rotating terms" mean transitions, where a photon is emitted and the atom is excited to a higher state or a photon is absorbed and the atom relaxes to its lower state.

As explained in the Wikipedia article these rapidly oscillating contributions are often neglected, leading to the solvable "rotating-wave approximation".

Likes Paul159
vanhees71 said:
I'd need a bit more context. What are the annihilation and creation operators and the "spin-ladder operators" refer to? Maybe you refer to the Jaynes-Cummings model?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaynes–Cummings_model

I'm referring to the Rabi Hamiltonian model (Jaynes-Cumming model without the rotating-wave approximation).

vanhees71 said:
Here a two-level "atom" is formally described using spin-1/2 operators. The "counter-rotating terms" mean transitions, where a photon is emitted and the atom is excited to a higher state or a photon is absorbed and the atom relaxes to its lower state.

Yes this is exactly what I don't understand (at least I found this terms counter-intuitive).

vanhees71 said:
As explained in the Wikipedia article these rapidly oscillating contributions are often neglected, leading to the solvable "rotating-wave approximation".

Yes but for strong coupling with matter we cannot neglect them.

Likes vanhees71

What is the Rabi Hamiltonian?

The Rabi Hamiltonian is a mathematical model used to describe the interaction between a two-level quantum system and an external electromagnetic field. It is commonly used in quantum optics and quantum information processing.

What are counter-rotating terms in the Rabi Hamiltonian?

Counter-rotating terms in the Rabi Hamiltonian refer to terms that involve the simultaneous absorption and emission of photons by the two-level system. These terms are responsible for the creation of entangled states and can lead to non-classical behavior of the system.

Why are counter-rotating terms important?

Counter-rotating terms are important because they allow for the creation of entangled states, which are essential for many quantum information processing tasks such as quantum teleportation and quantum cryptography. They also play a crucial role in the study of quantum decoherence and quantum chaos.

How do counter-rotating terms affect the dynamics of a quantum system?

Counter-rotating terms can significantly affect the dynamics of a quantum system by introducing new energy levels and transitions, leading to complex and non-classical behavior. They can also modify the energy spectrum and affect the stability of the system.

What are some applications of the Rabi Hamiltonian with counter-rotating terms?

The Rabi Hamiltonian with counter-rotating terms has many applications in quantum optics and quantum information processing. It is used in the study of quantum entanglement, quantum gates, and quantum computing. It also has applications in quantum metrology, quantum sensing, and quantum simulation.