Racing car coolant formula ideas

In summary, the conversation is about creating an engine coolant for track motor sports that cannot contain any glycols. The suggestion is to use a "water wetter" and add a surfactant like Tydol X-100, an anti-foaming agent, and an aluminum corrosion inhibitor. The person is looking for advice on how to formulate a better product, but mentions that using water wetter is permitted in SCCA racing due to a no antifreeze rule.
mahall
TL;DR Summary
Need some ideas on a racing coolant formula.
Hey guys!
So, I’m working on an engine coolant for track motor sports that can’t contain any glycols.
I think a simple “water wetter” will work.
A surfactant such as Tydol X-100 come to mind along with an anti foaming agent and aluminum corrosion inhibitor.
I know there are commercial products for this available but would really like to formulate some thing better.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Water wetter is all that is permitted in SCCA racing as they have a no antifreeze rule. Works great. Not knowing the engine you have, may be other legal ways to make it run cooler.

What are the key components of a racing car coolant formula?

The key components of a racing car coolant formula typically include a base fluid like water or glycol, anti-corrosive additives to protect engine parts, anti-freeze agents if operating in colder climates, and sometimes performance enhancers that improve heat transfer and reduce engine temperatures more efficiently than standard coolants.

Why is it important to use a specialized racing car coolant?

Using a specialized racing car coolant is important because racing engines operate at much higher temperatures and under more extreme conditions than regular vehicle engines. Specialized coolants can better manage these extreme temperatures, prevent overheating, and protect the engine components from corrosion and wear, ultimately enhancing performance and reliability.

How does a racing car coolant improve performance?

A racing car coolant improves performance by efficiently managing the engine's operating temperature, ensuring it stays within an optimal range. This prevents power loss that occurs from overheating, maintains the integrity of the engine parts, and ensures consistent performance even under extreme racing conditions.

Can I use regular car coolant in a racing car?

While you can technically use regular car coolant in a racing car, it is not advisable. Regular coolants are not formulated to handle the high temperatures and stressful conditions of racing, which can lead to engine overheating, failure, and reduced performance. It is best to use a coolant specifically designed for racing cars.

How often should racing car coolant be changed?

The frequency of changing racing car coolant can vary depending on the specific formula, the conditions under which the car is raced, and the manufacturer's recommendations. Generally, it is advisable to change the coolant after every race or event to ensure optimal performance and to prevent any build-up of contaminants that could affect the cooling system's efficiency.